To Do List pre and post op? Good idea?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Not been on here for a few months as been abroad.

But my TKR is looming, possibly in December.

I cant find the thread where people suggested things we might need - ie ice packs, high chair etc post op and prepartions pre op (like filling freezer etc)

Would it be a good idea if we could start a list and people could add to it?

If not if someone could point me in the right direction!

Just a thought! Thanks!

biggrin

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Bio oil to massage into the scar when it is completely healed

TV remote !

Patience

Box of tissues for the down days

Good luck it is worth it in the end honest

• Posted

Thanks Peglegbev - the Bio oil is also on my to buy list now! smile
  • Posted

Hmm let me think.....

Tiger Balm or Arnica Massage Balm/oil for when your muscles are shouting at you....

A rucksack/backpack to carry your stuff around in - a shoulder or across-body bag can easily throw you off balance when you're on crutches...

LAXATIVES!!! Trust me, you'll need them...

Depending on what kind of shower you have - if it's an over-the-bath type, speak to Occupational Therapy, see if they will loan you a bath board. I had mine fitted on Saturday, and brilliant!

A Grab Stick/litter picker, for things that you drop or are just out of reach....

Something soft, light and silky to drape over your incision/scar, which can be VERY sensitive. I use a large square

of pure silk, it's as light as a whisper and really helps.

• Posted

Sorry that posted too soon!

I was going to say.....

Most importantly, don't sweat the small stuff. If you don't feel like eating regular meals at regular times - fine! So long as you're getting decent nutrition, don't worry! Your appetite will be back before you know it. If you need to nap during the day (you will!) Then do it and DONT FEEL GUILTY!!

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Keep a bottle of juice or water with you at all times, and make sure you keep yourself topped up.

And lastly, not something to have, but to do - EXERCISE!!!!

I honestly can't emphasise enough the importance of strengthening your leg muscles. I didn't know first time round, and really paid the price. This time, (10 days post opp) my ROM and mobility is about 6 weeks ahead of schedule compared to last time! It's soooooo vital to your recovery and final outcome.

Good luck! Xx

• Posted

Glad to hear all is going well and AHEAD of schedule! I found that to be true as well with my knee#2!

My physical therapy with #1 helped #2 as well to be stronger even before surgery.

Wishing you continued success!

• Posted

Thanks Terri!

Ours is over the bath type. So they might loan you a board which fits over the bath? Interesting.

Haha I thought of laxatives smile

• Posted

Yes, it's a slatted board,usually plastic, which they adjust to the width of your bath, and then you can move it back and forth as needed. To get in the bath/shower, you just back up to the board, shuffle back a wee bit, and then gently swing your legs in, and you can sit down to shower. It's so much easier than trying to get in and then stand to shower.

Have a word with h the Occ Therapy team, they should be able to help you out.

• Posted

Have your doctor or PA give you a list of the rehab exercises and begin doing them now.  If possible have your range of motion measured so that you can see what to expect post-op.  
    • Posted

Thanks esanford - good thinking, will try to do that! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.