To drink or not to drink coffee

Posted , 13 users are following.

The first thing my doctor said about my BPH was to stop drinking coffee.

It probably causes some swelling through irritation.

I got HoLEP, and no longer have BPH. What is the consensus for drinking coffee with regards to prostate?

Lately, information is coming out, that coffee reduces chance of cancer, and can contribute to a longer life.

I have seen an interview with urologist, Dr. Samadi,

and he recommends drinking coffee.

Other foods or drinks are pomegranate juice, green tee, processed tomatoes.

Anything else?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know that when I drink coffee, I feel like crap with my BPH and when I stop and drink mainly water, I feel pretty good, almost normal. Coffee definitely irritates the prostate and causes pains and discomforts.
  • Posted

I like crambery juice, because it prevents bladder infection, 

I drank it after HoLEP, and think, it irritaded the wounded prostate.

• Posted

I agree with Jim. I tried it both ways and could not feel any different. Since now they come out with "coffee is good for you, for sure this time", I started again with 2 cups a day. I think it gives me more energy and makes my head clearer. Hank

• Posted

I was told not to drink cranberrty as it would make my urine more acidic and cause painful urination.
    • Posted

I have never had burning do to taking cranberry. I take a lot of it daily and it has helped me urinate better, when I stop taking it I usually start to have issues with a weak stream. Every one is different, so each person should try these things to see what will work or not work for them. 
  • Posted

Food and beverage intake is one of those fields where every expert has a different opinion. Personally, I think coffee probably helps some people with bph because of its diuretic and stimulative action, and probably works against others for the same reasons. I'd let your body be your guide on this one. If you tolerate it well, and your symptons don't get worse than I'd drink it. 

Jim

• Posted

I think one has to be careful not to get dehydrated with too much strong coffee.  If I drink a glass of water every now and then with strong coffee man I need to releive myelf fast and furious.  At least I used to before my bladder stretched out.  One thing that is clear to me now is that this ailment (urinary retention) can get you in trouble before you know it because you don't feel it.  I thought that if I was retaining 4 or 500 ML of urine I would feel like peeing all the time.  Didn't feel a thing until overflow incontinence and feeling sick.

• Posted

Bruno, I heard the same news on coffee.

I'm scheduled for HOLEP Friday.

How has your day change after Holep?

Been dealing with BPH for 25 years.

• Posted

I am now 8 weeks after HoLEP.

Before the procedure, I had occasional urinary retention.

​washroom every 30 to 45 minutes, up 2 to 3 times /night.

​Constant urgency, and discomfort.

​After HolEP, immediately, after the catheter came out, I had hart time peeing, then things got better, very slowly. Bleeding stopped in 10 days,

​I had easy recovery.

​Now the discomfort and urgency are gone, can go 2 hours without bathroom, night time i get up one time +/- 1.

​No incontinence, no sexual problems, but retro ejaculation.

• Posted

Thanks

I'm same boat ,I like what you say that you don't have BPH.

Wash hands and need to go again.

Had retro on Flomax, didn't really bother me much.

Thanks again

• Posted

Since I curtailed my tea and coffee intake, I've been able to cease Tamsulosin. My prostate isn't very enlarged, but I was having repeated UTIs that have caused kidney damage. I've been advised that decaf is just as bad for me because of the chemical process involved in decaffeinating tea and coffee. I've found one cup of half-caff at breakfast is OK, then I have a little milk with hot water the rest of the day. Have had just one UTI in two years on this regime. I have non-spreading cancer, Gleason 3+3, active surveillance.

• Posted

Hi Bruno.  I drink green tea by the bucket load and the occasional brown tea and coffee and the one thing they all have in common is that they are all decaffinated.

I suffered from BPH for years and tried everything to slow the growth down and reduce the symptoms i.e. UTIs, bladder stone formation, retention, etc and like yourself the only cure for me was a HoLEP.

One thing I was aware of in the early stages of my BPH journey was that drinking anything with caffeine in it would result in a need to pee more often (not good when you've got problems peeing already) and would help inflame the bladder.  I saw the results of bladder inflammation first hand when I was undergoing a cystoscopy for an unrelated issue and the entire surface of my bladder was red and inflamed and the Urologist performing the procedure asking if I drank a lot of tea or coffee, to which I replied "tea by the bucket load".  He told me to change to decaf immediately as with no underlying problem as the cause for the inflammation other than some slight retention, he was confident that the caffeine in my tea and I do like it strong, was the cause.

Having had my bladder subsequently go through even more trauma when I began to get UTIs and bladder stones over the ensuing years, I stuck to decaf drinks and after the HoLEP have continued to do so.  I see no reason why I should risk damaging my bladder even after having a procedure which now allows me to pee normally and freely.

Incidentally, as well as going non dairy,  I drink pomegranate juice daily, plus VitD3 and Selinium and have been doing so for a decade and when my prostate cancer was discovered during the HoLEP,  I believe my prior 10 year dietary regime played a big part in keeping the cancer at bay and a low grade (Gleason 6).  Also, almost 2 years since the HoLEP and diagnosis my PSA has remained unchanged (1.1) and two MRIs also confirm no change in the cancer.

Sorry I strayed from the subject matter "caffeine" but sharing experiences does give others the chance to explore other options rather than the accepted ones endorsed by the medical professionals.

If it works for me, it may work for others but do your own research first and be guided by that.  Just remember one thing, many of the gainsayers on here will always be calling for evidence that these alternatives work but that will always be difficult when the medical profession will always cast doubt on any research funded by anyone other than the pharmaceutical companies or medical establishments of great repute.  I recall some years ago when a pomegranate juice manufacturer published their own evidence of how pomegranate juice (not their's in particular) could be effective in combating the development and progression of prostate cancer.  They were well and truly slated by the medical profession who virtually accused them of seeking to profit from the research which is exactly what the pharmaceutical companies are doing on a daily basis and no one bats an eyelid when they do it.

Sorry for digressing somewhat and good luck.

• Posted

Hello rogcal thank you for the informative post.

I am a believer in the life style, and what we eat, how much stress we have.

I am interested, if there is a link between dairy products, or red meat and prostate cancer.

The role of dark leaf vegetables.

It would be interesting to know, if herbicides and pesticides in vegetables can actually counter the benefits,

and maybe even contribute to prostate cancer.

I wonder if the pomegranate is unique, or if other fruit can have similar effect. Like cranberries, or currents (red and black) or rosehip or blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.

If soy products are good or bad.

When I shop in a supermarket, I have noticed, that people who load up on processed food look healthier

than people who have only healthy food. Actually, the least healthy-looking people I noticed were in a health food store.

• Posted

How strange Bruno.  Whenever I go to the supermarket the people frequenting the aisles that contain the unhealthy food tend to be obese, have skin covered in spots and have difficulty in walking and breathing.

Perhaps you should go to Specsavers. cheesygrin

• Posted

@Bruno Actually, the least healthy-looking people I noticed were in a health food store.

------------------

It used to be that way, but now not so much. I think it had to do more with the demographics (age and health) of the shoppers. When you're young and healthy, easy to get away with smoking and pizza. When you get older and lose your health, you go to the health food store to heal.

Jim

• Posted

The other thing is that shopping "health foods" and vegetarian restaurants and the like, can be very unhealthy unless you have a plan. As one example, a local healthy/trendy juice bar loads up on the sugars in their drinks unless you ask otherwise. I looked at one of their "healthy" vegetarian soups, and the fat and sodium content was through the roof! You would be hard pressed to find a low fat, low sodium meal in most vegetarian restaurants. I'm sure Jenny Craig is healthier!

Jim

• Posted

I wondered when you'd be along Jim.  Keep it up, you'll reach your 3000th post soon.  Only another 200 or so and you're there!

Is it quality or quantity with you?  I find it hard to believe you could possible know so much but on the other hand ........ wink

• Posted

Only 3000, he's an amateur:-). I'm at 5384

• Posted

Heh heh heh. Why are we keeping scores here ? I thought the reason we are here is to learn, to get help, and to help others. As far as quality, I assure you Jim is the most helpful, caring, and altruistic person I've ever known, on this forum and beyond. I've followed all Jim posts so I know who he is. I hope this is just a joke and Jim will continue to eat sardines and provide his invaluable service to this forum. smile Hank

• Posted

So Jim eats sardines. That explains everything!
    • Posted

@Hank "I hope this is just a joke and Jim will continue to eat sardines and provide his invaluable service to this forum

---------------------

OK. Now I'm really confused. I thought you said sardines were bad for me and now you want me to eat them smile How about Walmart's canned no sodium spinach? Is that OK smile

Jim

• Posted

Hmmmm, I thought you were beyond council as fas as sardines are concerned so I had to go along. It's called diplomacy. smile Re canned spinach, now you really confused me. Why eat canned when you can have it fresh ? Hank

• Posted

Remember Popeye? Did you ever see him pull spinach out of the ground?

But seriously, it's just a convenience thing plus it is no sodium added.  I do eat fresh vegetables, but a can of spinach when I'm in a hurry is better than a bag of say, chips smile

Jim

• Posted

I prefer mackeral fillets in olive oil.
    • Posted

I prefer brocolli. I use frozen florets for convenience.
    • Posted

Given time and enough ailments and you may catch up:-)

• Posted

It is the moderator who keeps score. I opted out of his gold stars etc.

We also have to credit Jim with an unknown number of PM's

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.