To Give Others Hope - Regarding Abscesses & Pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just checking in to tell everyone that finally the pain has stopped.  So it has either been the passage of time or perhaps the heaps of probiotics I've started to take, or maybe the higher fiber diet I'm on, but either way I'm so relieved to just feel normal in the left lower quadrant again.

For reference I'm 39 years old.  I'm 4 months out from the initial symptoms starting up, 3 months out from finishing up the antibiotics and now 1 month post colonoscopy (which thankfully only confirmed I had diverticulosis and also that scar tissue that had formed in the area of the abscess).  I had a sigmoid abscess of just over 2 cm that was treated at home with antibiotics only.  

So for those who had complicated diverticulitis - the pain can last for months, try not to be scared.  But now I'm ok and I'm so grateful.  Any questions please ask and I will do my best to answer.

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you use any alternative therapies like aloe Vera or slippery elm? What antibiotics were you on?
    • Posted

I found slippery elm and Aloe Vera did help but in moderation. Can cause diarrhea. I did Apple cider vinegar with lemon and warm water helped a lot. And beef bone broth daily. Only organic. Probiotics and digestive enzymes. Everyone is diff so just need to find what works best for you. Best of luck. 🙏🌸🌺

• Posted

Hi Linda, I only used probiotics during the antibiotics and have continued to use them after.  I haven't tried aloe vera or slippery elm.  

The antibiotics I was started on by my primary care doctor were Flagyl and Cipro.  I was crossed over to Augmentin after about 5 days by my new GI doctor for 10 additional days.  The abscess was confirmed as gone on my next CT scan which took place probably 15 days after starting the antibiotics, so the day I finished them I had the CT scan. 

• Posted

Oh Rose that is terrific news. I’m so happy for you. I saw my Gastro Dr today. I’m still in pain. He thinks it’s cramps but I disagree. It’s pain not cramps. I still can’t eat much. Still hurts. Anyone have this problem? Will the pain ever leave? 
    • Posted

I agree it’s not cramp it’s definitely pain. Off to see a different dr today at my surgery see what she has to say ☹️
    • Posted

Patricia I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering.  How long has it been since the initial attack?  My doctor was also a bit miffed after I kept complaining of pain but I've since learned by looking around online that pain after a diverticulitis attack, especially a complicated one, is common.  

Anyway YES I did have the pain, almost the same pain as the initial attack at times, which worried me.  I just tried to increase my fiber as much as I could stand (had to back off beans though as they were causing too much pain) and plod forward.  Four months later now, and I hope to be in the clear.

• Posted

So glad to hear you are recovering, I to had abscess , was diagnosed in Feb , been a rough road cuz I also developed anxiety and panic attacks, and SIBO/IBS. Lost 45 lbs. but feel I am doing better eating better and pain is almost gone. What meds or supplements helped you ? I am on probiotics and digestive enzymes and IBguard. Along with fibogel. I eat healthy, and drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. I had pizza and was so happy I had no issues with it. But will not push it. I make sure I eat a salad everyday, I’m still not able to do dairy or eggs. Sad. But I agree with you that all will get better, and it just takes time. I still get twinges but not as bad. Day by day. 

Thanks for sharing and and being encouraging to all . 

• Posted

Vickie thanks for sharing, it sounds like you're on the road to full recovery.  The abscess thing can be so scary. 

I am taking probiotics, up to 85 billion a day.  I also take a multivitamin, vitamin D3 2,000 IU per day, and a K2 supplement.  I am on Tirosint for Hashimoto's (hypothyroidism) and Ativan as needed for sleep an anxiety.

I am gluten free due to the Hashimoto's so it's tricky to get in my whole grains but the GI doc said to use brown rice and that's been working good so far.

Best of luck to you, any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

• Posted

So p****d I got really sick again, guess should not of had that pizza, I get so frustrated cuz never know if it’s the SIBO, IBS, or Diverticulosis. I get tummy spasms and diarrhea for days. Do a liquid diet for a day, to give colon a rest. So hard the diet thing and anxiety. Ugh
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I'm new to the group and would like some advice. After 3 months of suffering, I've been finally diagnosed with diverticulitis and an abscess. Currently on my 3rd week of antibiotics but still the pain in my left side and tenderness is still there. My main question is, what do I eat? The whole thing has made me not want to eat with the fear of the pain. Liquid dit or fibre diet?

• Posted

Hi Richyai, I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling but hopefully you are on the right track now.

After finishing the antibiotics it took a lot of time for the pain to go away, so it might just take time more than anything.

As for food, my doctor advised me to eat two vegetables, two fruits, and one whole grain a day.  I instituted that program as soon as I could. If the pain is severe I would take it easy for another week, maybe just soft stuff that your stomach doesn't have to work very hard to digest (no salads, no raw vegetables, etc).  But you don't want to stay on a liquid diet for a long time I don't think because it will cause you to feel weak and maybe even worse.  

Let me know if you have any further questions.

• Posted

Thanks Rose for the advice :-) Pain hasn't been to bad today but now it's back. A horrible stinging type pain. I'll try some easy to digest food tm. This has been the longest I've ever been ill and can't wait to get back to normal IF that ever happens

• Posted

Hi Richyai, I too had abscess with Diverticulitis was on IV antibiotics for 5 days then sent home on 14 days antibiotics, they made me so sick, I did soft foods for 4 weeks, no dairy, caffeine or processed foods, no seeds or high fiber for awhile.  Steamed Salmon or chicken breasts, mashed potatoes and carrots, and spinach. Low FodMat diet is good. Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis is what I went by for 3 months. Take a good probiotics drink lotsa water, cranberry juice,  smoothies and I did Apple cider vinegar with warm water and lemon. Keep a good food journal to find out your food triggers when you add new foods. I was diagnosed in Feb and I still have pain that comes and goes. I still cannot due dairy or gluten. The pain and discomfort will get better, but it’s all about diet and lifestyle changes. Best wishes sweetie. 🙏🌸🌺

• Posted

Hi vickie and thanks for the advice :-) I've had a couple of better days (long may it last!) It's the discomfort and pain that's been the worst part. I've started taking tumeric and cbd oil to help with the inflamation

• Posted

Hi Vicki. You are just the best when it comes to knowledge on this subject. Thank you. Now to my story. I’ve been having one attack after the other. Total 3. Had sigmoidoscopy on Monday but it showed no DD. Just divertultar disease. I had just finished  3 rounds of Cipro and Flagyl. I’m trying to abide by the diet bit it’s only soups and protein drinks nor for over a month. I’m afraid to eat for fear of big time pain. I’m still in pain, not sever, all the time. I’m thinking it’s IBD as well. Have had attack’s of this most of my life but it never ever lasts this long and mostly all day every day. Upon reading your letter again I’m thinking I’m not getting enough of the good kind of fiber. Maybe I should give up milk the protein shakes do help with blood sugar problems. To more  things I have just come out of remission of bone marrow cancer.  On Chemo for that. I’m responding to the treatment once more so that is good. Now if I can just get out of this pain I’d be “good as new” 😀I feel you’ll send me back to the Mayou diet and probably that’s where I should. Any advice will be warmly welcomed. Thanks for your sharing your knowledge with all of us. 

• Posted

I’d try to stay clear of dairy and The protein shakes, but in your case try to do the clear ones. Low fiber for sure. Stick with mashed potatoes, jasmine rice, chicken,fish,spinach carrots. I do smoothies a lot, all soft foods. No processed or red meat. As for the IBS D I’m new to that and I’m figuring it all out, so Dietitian has me on Low FodMat diet, plus probiotics, digestive enzymes, IBGUARD, vitamins B12 and D3. Bentyl for spasms. I drink apple cider vinegar with warm water and lemon daily. Keep a good food journal I put everything in it that goes in my mouth and out the rear end. I find with the IBS D I cannot due high fiber or protein, so I do them in small amounts. I still have pain in left low abdomen from the Diverticulitis with abscess due to the scar tissue, plus I smoke so takes longer to heal. And all the antibiotics tear up your gut flora so that takes long time to heal. Plus with you doing chemo that’s even harder. But I keep faith, breath, and know this will pass. Hope your journey gets better, and you feel better soon. 🌼🌻🌸🌺

• Posted

Oh my goodness Vicki thank you for this text. You are awesome! All the info you write I’m going to follow. Talked to Dr on phone today. He going to get with my Oncologist and call me back tomorrow. I’m sure they know nothing about what you  wrote but interesting they are going to talk. I’m on Bentyl 20mg three times a day. Increased from 2 three times a day. I’m not a fan of drugs  and this doesn’t really help me that much.  But will continue it. 

I will do all your suggestions and can’t Thank you enough for taking this time to reply. 

God bless

Patricia 

• Posted

Your very welcome, I’m still working out every thing as to how my body reacts to diff foods and meds. As for the Bentyl I’m upset I cannot have it anymore caused bad headaches and dizziness felt lightheaded and disconnected, but it helped a lot with spasms and tummy ache. so I started  On IBguard. Also look into Heathers Tummy tea products. It’s good brand for the IBS d. Did you ever have Diverticulitis? Or just The Diverticula? With me I had the bad Diverticulitis with abcess and still get pain and discomfort. Due to scar tissue and inflammation. So I stay clear of foods that cause inflammation. Now only if I can stop smoking and get rid of anxiety I’d be better . But day by day with this disease. I pray your chemo works for you and you can be cancer free and pain free. Hugs. 😇🌸🙏🌺🤗

• Posted

Yes Vicki I did have the big one Diverticulitis. 

Was actually on antibiotics several times. Always Cipro and Flagyl. I think they have really done a number on my gut. Still have lots of bloating and pain off and on. I ordered the IBguard today. It surely gets good press. Hope it will work for me. Are you having good luck with it? I surely hope so. Also good luck on quitting smoking. That’s a hard habit to break but you can do it. Let’s all get well together 😀 thanks again for your advice. I treasure it. 

• Posted

Oh Vickie I just looked into Heathers Tummy Tea products. Am interested in the $97.00 

Products. A bit expensive but will try anything for some relief. Would you mind telling me what you bought ? Am so new at this I tend to jump right into things. Hope you are doing better. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Patricia, how are you doing? I’m so much better, I have been going to PT , a chiropractor/massage therapist and she is amazing ! Says the Diverticulitis can cause extreme muscle issues in back, lower left , due to the inflammation in which effects and radiates to the front lower left abdomen so causes pain. In nerves and muscle. Plus with the weight loss and being laid up sick, so makes sense to why I always feel that pain in abdomen it’s not the Diverticulosis it’s muscle and nerves. So relieved to hear that. I’m eating a lot more and having good bowels daily. As for the Tammy’s Tummy teas I only got the tea And acacia fiber powder. Seem to be working great along with my daily probiotics and digestive enzymes. I pray your chemo and Diverticulitis is doing better and your pain free. Hugs
    • Posted

Oh Vicki what fantastic news from you! I’m so very happy for you! I had good news yesterday. I’m responding to the chemo so will stay the course. Oncologist thinks I’ll be in remission again by Christmas ! My most aggravating thing is the pain in my left lower stomach. It gives me hope however to read your mail about what you are doing. I know a very good chiro/ message therapist. Have been debating about going to see her. You have made up my mind for me. I’m going to make an appointment with her. Thank you so for the information. In the meantime I’m thanking God  for your good news and thank you for sharing. Let’s keep in touch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.