To Give Others Hope - Regarding Abscesses & Pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just checking in to tell everyone that finally the pain has stopped.  So it has either been the passage of time or perhaps the heaps of probiotics I've started to take, or maybe the higher fiber diet I'm on, but either way I'm so relieved to just feel normal in the left lower quadrant again.

For reference I'm 39 years old.  I'm 4 months out from the initial symptoms starting up, 3 months out from finishing up the antibiotics and now 1 month post colonoscopy (which thankfully only confirmed I had diverticulosis and also that scar tissue that had formed in the area of the abscess).  I had a sigmoid abscess of just over 2 cm that was treated at home with antibiotics only.  

So for those who had complicated diverticulitis - the pain can last for months, try not to be scared.  But now I'm ok and I'm so grateful.  Any questions please ask and I will do my best to answer.

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone, just keeping this thread updated in case anyone is out there looking for information in the future. I now have almost no "pinching" type pain where the abscess was in the sigmoid colon. It has been over a year since my ordeal. Luckily I have had no further diverticulitis type attacks as well.

I stopped using the Bentyl as I have not really needed it. I have developed some kind of indigestion type or maybe even IBS issue however. If I eat fried foods or a really large meal I will greatly suffer with upper abdominal pain for a day or two afterwards. I do not know if this is related to my experience with diverticulitis and/or the abscess or if this would've happened to me in the normal course of my life, but it is new so I feel as though I should report it. I have found that by taking digestive enzymes (betaine HCL with pepsin), two with each meal, I have greatly reduced the gastric issues. And I simply do not eat fried foods or consume large quantities and I am generally fine. I hope this information helps anyone who may be searching for answers like I was.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.