To kneel or not to kneel that is the question??

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have heard to many different views on this, so after a TKR what is your view?

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think it's a question of seeing eventually if you can. I yesterday knelt on mine by accident on the bed ( going to do legs hanging exercise ) and it was uncomfortable, I know I couldn't kneel anywhere else. However while in hospital 2 nurses who were on who had both had knees done had different outlooks. One 5 years post op said she can't kneel on hers at all while other 18mths post op said from 11 months could kneel for a while and now up 1/2 hour whilst out in garden. I think it will be wait and see.
  • Posted

Hi..personally I had no choice but to have it done as could hardly mobilise.

Six months on I have had a fall ..a fracture and needed a total revision which I am now nearly 3 wks post op...this time I am progressing!

I have slept well6/7 hrs per night ...pain under good control so feel I am v.slowly getting there.

Can be a rough road at times but hopefully worth it in the end..trust yr surgeons advice.

• Posted

So happy to see this question as it is something I have been wondering for ages! I was told before my surgery that kneeling would be a thing of the past but I have heard different opinions. I needed to get onto the floor to do very important exercises to had to devise a way of doing that using a step on the floor which I lower myself onto from an armchair then down to the floor, I was thrilled that I could do my bridges etc and didn't have to kneel. I did but thick knee pads from Amazon and tried them the other day but chickened out at last minute! I have knelt on the bed which was fine on the knee which was done first a year ago so as long as I can get to the floor for my physio I'm ok but would love to hear from others if they had managed to kneel or not!
  • Posted

My daughter-in-law who is a PT and my surgeon both said not to kneel and not to pivot on my new knees. All has been going g GREAT for me withy new knees (June and October 2015). I figure I don't want to mess up ANYTHING!

I haven't kneeled since 1985, so at age 65 I figure I don't need to start up again NOW!😁

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

In another post I read you had worked in your garden for 8 hours. How did you manage that without kneeling? I was so envious of you when I read that, picturing you kneeling in your lovely garden, potting plants, etc. smile

As far as whether we are supposed to kneel or not, I think it's either you can or can't. I had TKR July, 2014 and I can NOT kneel for the life of me. The few times that I have, it was agonizing & I thought I had damaged my knee cap.

Those of you that can, I'm envious smile

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty!

Nope! No kneeling for ME! I have long-handled tools for digging and weeding, and I bend over or squat to pick up the weeds and plop them in my garden cart. I used to have to sit on a plastic crate when my knees were bad. Getting UP each time was tough, but I managed. Glad I can stand, walk, and keep going with my two new knees!

My husband and I cleaned half of the garage today for 7 hours. Got LOTS of stuff for donations, for recycling, and some trash, too. My LEGS are tired, my hips are aching, but my new knees are GOOD! I would not have been able to keep going like that prior to my surgeries. I am SO GRATEFUL to have my life back!😊

I pot my houseplants outside on my deck in good weather. I have this wooden cart with slats that allow soil to drop to the deck, and then I hose off everything including ME!😁

Don't worry about the kneeling thing, Betty! We have knees that can walk and stand and SHOP and do all kinds of things like NOT be in constant pain! The trade-off is better than being able to kneel!🙌

• Posted

I've only tried kneeling on my bed, and only for 5 seconds as I'm only 7 weeks po. I see my surgeon in 2 days and will see what he has to say.  I think it's probably an individual thing.
  • Posted

Talk to your surgeon.....Somehow I think it depends on what they had to do. Some are allied to and others aren't. I never could because it hurt to bad even on a pillow. Unfortunately I had 30 rounds of radiation that burned the heck out of the tissue before I started with the major knee surgeries. Now I just break out in a cold sweat thinking about touching down with my knee

• Posted

I had a bilateral and have some continuing pain in my right knee (apparently the knee cap is bad). I can kneel (for limited amounts of time) on my left knee, but it's not something I try to do on a regular basis. My PT said I'd not be able to kneel, but when I sit on the floor (something that I have to do more often than I'd like) using the one kneeling knee is a little more graceful for getting up. Bottom line, we want the new knees to last, right? So my plan is to not stress them more than absolutely necessary.
  • Posted

It's interesting what everyone is told.. I had bi-lateral TNR last year and was told by the surgeon I could kneel and even crunch down. A few months ago a Physio showed me how to do it.  First make sure you have something for support on each side of you, then put a pillow on the floor. Now, the tricky bit. Whilst supporting yourself put one foot forward (eg right leg) then gently knee on the left. Once the left is near the floor bring the right leg back to kneel. I was pertrified of doing but managed to kneel on both knees for a few seconds. It felt funny. She suggested I keep trying it but have only done it a few times. The Phsio told me it was good to gain confidence in kneeling incase I ever fell.  Hope this makes sense.

• Posted

Sounds complcated, but very good advice, falling is one of my biggest fears, however so far I have managed to keep on two feet, thank fully.
  • Posted

Four years after two full knee replacements and I can kneel.  It does feel a little funny, but no pain. 
    • Posted

A breath of fresh air, I have actually only had one TKR so far 6 months ago I have had to knee for a few minutes a couple of times, need to have my 2nd TKR at some point but I look after three of my gandchildren, one under 1 and one under 2 and there have been times I have had no choice, getting back up off the floor is yet another problem !!
  • Posted

It wasnt mentioned to me with either of my TKR'S, but Ive tentatively tried putting a little weight on them and I didnt ike it at all!! I had got used to barely being able to kneel before my surgeries, soo I dont really class it as too much of a hardship (so far anyway - 15 months and 7 months out from surgeries. Maybe that will change further down the line...) Id far sooner carry on as I am without jeapordising my new knees.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.