To surgery or not to surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

First onset of DD was 2016. Since then, I've had about 2 flare ups per year that I know are due to diet. I'm not a natural water drinker, nor do I enjoy a high fiber diet. I'm now reformed. I drink at least 65 oz water/day and am very mindful of fiber to avoid constipation. I know to avoid high fiber when I'm having a flare up. Over my lifetime, I've had multiple instances of severe constipation which I'm now convinced have damaged my colon. I wonder if I'll ever be normal, even with a high fluid/high fiber diet, or if surgery is the way to go.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Surgery, cut that horrible stuff out of your body, I waited until I needed an emergency surgery and I wish I did it sooner.

Surgery recovery is never fun, but living with Div for life is less fun, I am 110% for surgery!

• Posted

Rommon, thanks so much for sharing your experience. CT scan on Feb 10 showed no diverticulitis at this time. Not that the diverticulosis has gone away; it's still there in my sigmoid colon, but it's not flaring. The colorectal surgeon I consulted wants to try managing with diet for now. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. Time will tell.

• Posted

Hi

If you have no sign of diverticulitis, you have no other underlying problems, and you know what causes your flares, I think your surgeon is right to consider dietary management as the first option. I have managed like this for 18 years. However I am UK based and surgery is only ever done in emergencies or where the quality of life is dreadful.

I suspect you may be USA based, where it seems, from the posts here, that surgery is almost the first option in many cases, and is often recommended as a preventative measure. It is undoubtedly necessary in some cases, but many people have posted that it simply comes back further up the colon. Also it is major surgery (and a major expense in the USA I should imagine), for what is not a cure, just a hoped for improvement in quality of life.

If your flares continue, become more frequent or painful, despite your dietary management, then you do have the surgery option. My cousin, who is in the medical profession, advised against surgery unless essential. Best wishes

• Posted

Quick update for you all..it is now 8 weeks past my surgery and I am feeling much better. Bowel movements becoming more normal with little to no pain, vigilance with proper diet important as I have noticed discomfort when not making common sense choices but I am enjoying all foods including some nuts and meat..proper hydration(not fanatical), fiber and avoidance of sugary, greasy and processed foods will always be advisable.

May God bless you all with peace, hope and healing..in the name of Jesus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.