to work or not to work... or when to go back to work?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I work for a fortune 500 company, I work from home and have a very stressful job. I normlly work a minimun of 10 hours a day, ( once you get going it's hard to stop).  I still feel a great lack of interest and couldn't imagine working yet. I told my Mgr I need this week off too ( surgery was 2 week ago today).  How do you know when to go back to work?  I know I can't go back to not moving for 4 hours at a clip, I know I will need to get up every hour and walk around. I also know the moment I go back it will be full time and all sympathy is lost.  I know I still have zero interest in wor.  Any suggestions?? thanks Annette

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Morning Annette, I'm going back to work tomorrow, 11 weeks post-op. TBH, I was ready to go back 3 weeks ago but my surgeon said he preferred me to have a few more weeks off. I work for an electricity utility company & my job is partly office based & the rest of the time visiting farmers, walking over uneven ground & climbing over gates & fences! I'm going back on a phased return for 4 hours per day - is this something you can do? Don't rush & set yourself back x

• Posted

Good luck today!!!  i bet someone will ned a nap later xxoxoxo I shall see what my Dr says today.
  • Posted

The time off in the UK seems to be at least 9 weeks and up to 16. This reflecting both the differences in people and jobs. My own, hospital lab, was 12 weeks off followed by a phased return over 4 weeks. Also a trip to the OH nurse to see if there were likely to be problems re using equipment etc.
  • Posted

What is a Fortune 500 company
    • Posted

So sorry Maggie,  I think all understand the same lingo my apologies. A Fortune 500 company is one of the 500 largest companies in the US. Can be publicaly traded or privately held on stock exchange.  A
  • Posted

HI Annette,

My advice is to listen to your body and take as much time as you can to ensure you heal. Two weeks sounds way too soon. Six weeks to three months+ is what I have read many places depending on individual healing needs.

For myself, I look at it this way. I will have this body the rest of my life, jobs and income-producing streams come and go.

Hang in there. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Annette,

Take all the time you need hun the job will still be there, I had just under 2 weeks off but I run my own office and If I need a nap I can have a nap. I must be one of the lucky ones as I'm mostly off my meds I'm 16 days post op I've had no brain fog (no more than normal anyway) and I can sleep for England I am being very very careful going up and down stairs and getting up and walking about regularly.

one of my customers had 9 weeks of and was in agony for most of those so it must just be the luck of the draw.

Listen to your body and go with the flow

Take care xxx

Kim 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.