Today I made some jam

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am just over ten months into this glandular fever journey and today I made some jam, which I'm so proud of and is such a big achievement for me. In October 2017 I was three months into the virus and I decided I wanted to make some jam for my dad for Christmas. I asked my partner to buy the ingredients from the shops, and then I spent the next two months lying in bed thinking about making that jam, but unable to move my weary body into the kitchen and not having the strength to stand long enough to even get out the pots and utensils requires. The ingredients went off and I resigned myself to the virus and that I just couldnt do it. A week before Christmas I once again asked my partner to buy the ingredients and using all the energy I had, I chopped up most of the ingredients (I ran out of energy so I reduced the amount of fruit), boiled the jam and bottled it, relieved it was done and that I had a gift for dad that he'd love, but I was left feeling completely exhausted as a result. Then the virus once again reminded me that it was still very much in control- a few hours later I realised that the jam had not set, and I immediately started having a panic attack as a result. Before contracting glandular fever I had never experienced panic attacks before but in the last ten months I've had more than I can count. So my jam making attempt was a failure on many levels.

So back to today, six months later- this morning I decided I wanted to make that jam again for dad. I walked to the shops, I came home and chopped up all the ingredients (the right amount this time) and I am looking forward to giving this firmly set batch of jam to dad next time I see him. After making the jam I also did a load of washing, had a blood test and cleaned the kitchen. I still have plenty of energy to spare. 

A long winded story I know, but I am just feeling so optimistic and elated after such a long time of feeling so awful. You too will get through this and you too will once again reclaim the healthy, capable 'you' that can do whatever they choose to do with their day, instead of lying in bed, hostage to this awful virus.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and many many good days ahead! 😊

4 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

LOVED LOVED reading this!!!! So happy that you’re feeling better! Thank you for sharing KS. Continue to BE WELL❤️
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your message Tabitha. I hope your good days are many and the bad days are few and far between. 😊

• Posted

Hi KS,

thankyou so much for sharing your jam making recovery smile. That is such wonderful news that your getting your energy and strength back, I know I just hang out for good recovery stories, just don’t go nuts with it and set yourself back !

Take care

Amanda

• Posted

Thanks so much Amanda. I think that's one of the hardest parts of this virus is not to go crazy and believe that you're 100% cured after a few good days in a row!  I need to keep reminding myself of that. I hope you are having a good day, one day you too will be sharing your recovery story and looking back on mono as just a really bad memory ??

• Posted

That's amazing KS, a great achievement and so pleased you felt good doing this! Oh you sound very talented I would have no idea how to make jam (or any kind of food to be honest I am useless in the kitchen!).

Wishing you all the best and continued recovery and strides forward!!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.