Today is my 3rd week taking Orlistat and the 3rd ...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, Today is my 3rd week taking Orlistat and the 3rd week of my calorie controlled diet. I went for my first weigh in at my doctor surgery and I had my doubts that there was no weight loss what so ever. So the moment of truth came and I stepped on the scales and to my utter astonishment I had lost 16lbs in just 3 weeks. I had cut down on what I had been eating, eg. no snacking, switching to sweetner not sugar, eating 3 meals aday and switching to semi skimmed milk. These arent drastic changes just small simple things that anybody could do. I don't go out everyday pounding the pavement or sweating my rear off at the gym, instead I have 3 small children and I just make sure I do the extra bits like I take the ironing upstairs oe we calea up toys together instead of making them do it. I also avoid lifts use stairs, or sometimes I walk an extra bus stop and spend 10 more minutes playin with the kids in the park. These thing are so simple and it all pays off and I would say it is all down to Orlistat. I take it with every meal dont eat too much fat and put in a little bit of effort. 3 weeks ago I weighed 105kg (16st 4lbs) now I weigh 97kg (15st 2lbs).

[i:f876b1c0aa]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f876b1c0aa]

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

well done, keep up the good work. I have now been on Orlistat for nearly 3 weeks and the weight is slowly shifting. i have lost since newy year 1 and a half stone, which is great but ith orlistat i have really been keeping to the diet.

[i:09f568f3c8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:09f568f3c8]

• Posted

Hi

I'm really glad to hear of your weight loss. Well done.

Its my second day on the tablets and feel O.K so far!!

smile

• Posted

That is absolutely fanatstic and gives me hope that when I weigh in for the first time on 24th that I may have lost a decent amount too. I already used sweetners and semi skimmed milk before going on Orlistat but have changed my diet a lot to cut down on the fat i eat, I eat a lot of fruit and salad now. I do feel better in myself already just because I am eating a healthier diet.

Well done and I wish you continued success in your weigh loss.

• Posted

Just reading your notes, and I hope this works for me too! Got a prescription to collect at lunch time of Orlistat and then buy my first healthy lunch in ages! Hoping the side effect (toilet one) will put me off having fatty foods at lunch time as this is my downfall!

Anyone know how long they take to stop working, eg if you have a wedding at the weekend and KNOW you have no choice but to eat rubbish? Does it only work if you take tablet, or do you get a build up?

Will power to everyone (and me!)

Gemma

• Posted

Hi Gemma

Sorry cannot answer your query. Cannot say I have had to face that dilemma yet. Have you been on the EMAP website yet maybe it is a question that you could ask one of the trained staff on their helpline. I wish the discussion forum was working on their site. I have tried it every day but it never is working - would be great to hear how others have done with this pill. A week to go and I get weighed. Must admit that last couple of days I have been hungry and a bit fed up with salad. I will have to get a cook some low fat meals again, just do not have the time.

The fear of the side effects of this drug makes me eat a low fat diet so I hope it works for you too. Hope you find out the answer to your question and I wish you luck.

• Posted

Hi

I asked my mum who has used this tablet before, and she said she just didn't take the pill if she knew she had to eat a fatty meal, so I will just do that. I am on day too and the fear is definately stopping me from eatting fatty foods! I have just found out how much I hate muller lights from dieting before!

Oh well, still on day two so have to keep going. how much have you lost so far? Fancy being \"Orlistat email buddies\"?

Gemma

Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.

• Posted

Hi Gemma

Would love to keep in touch on email. Would be good to have someone to share the experience with. I will register on this site and may be then we can swap email addresses.

I am having rough day today. Ate some food yesterday that was a lot higher in fat than I have been eating recently and am paying for it today. Had one accident and really bad tummy pains. Lucky I was home most of today. Been on orlistat since 28/08 so i suppose one bad day isn't too bad. Suppose I now know what happens when you eat too much fat. I have got to go to a Italian meal for my friends birthday in October and have looked at the menu and there is nothing without fat, except some really expensive meals which I cannot afford. Not sure what to do, do not want to let my friend down and not go. but have not told many people I am on orlistat as bit embarrassed about it really. At moment I have chosen a pasta meal( as we have had to pre order) and hopefully on the night I can pick out the pasta from the cheesy creamy sauce. Just worried what after affects are going to be like and I am at work the next day - it could be really embarrasing.

Not sure how much I have lost yet. First weigh in with doctor is on Monday afternoon. Know I have lost some as I have got on my scales a couple of times but I cannot remember exactly how muc doc weighed me at - did not really want to know at the time. I will let you know once I have been to docs next week.

Did taking orlistat work for your Mum?

Keep up the good work and hopefully we can email each other soon.

Suzanne

• Posted

Hi

I put my email address in but it found it so maybe, are you logged on facebook?

I gave in and weighted me self today!!! Lost 4 lbs since Monday. I am not sure that it's working for me though. I either, 1, aren't eating enough fat to come out or it's not working and only lost 4 lbs due to cutting out all the take aways!

I went out to lunch yesterday and didn't take a tablet, one because i didn't have my bag and two because I knew there would be some fat in it. After taking the tablets for 4 days I did have a little bit of leakage....but nothing major and no aches etc....For your meal I would just stop the tablets for that day (don't take any all day) and then maybe not the next morning and I think that would work.

Looking forward to having someone to talk to.....I too haven't told many people.

It didn't work for my mum and she had other medical issues that meant she had to stop taking them but while she did it worked so will continue!

I think it's the fear factor that works best for me! At work was my downfall as I don't eat at home as my hubby moans but at work I would snack on crap ALL DAY! and have drive throughs on way home and everything! I also feel much fuller, today I haven't eaten anything yet and normally I am eating my hand by 10am! So don't know if it's the tablets or not.....

Anyway, catch up soon and hope you get to email me!

Gemma x

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum. )

• Posted

Gemma

The reason that we remove all personal details such as phone numbers and email addresses from the Forum, is to protect our members as per our Terms and Conditions.

[quote:dd2b59f549][b:dd2b59f549]SAFETY[/b:dd2b59f549]

We advise that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example: telephone number, home address or email address), and please do not include postal addresses of any kind. If you have a helpful address to share, please advise the site administrators.[/quote:dd2b59f549].

As I said previously, if you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.

I see that Suzanne27 is already a registered member, so you would be able to contact each other directly by the PM or Email button that would appear in your postings.

Regards

Lin

Patient Site Admin

• Posted

hi wondering if anyone could help i am over weight by 5 stone and would like to get the orlistat tablets will my doctor be undertanding and give me a prescription
  • Posted

Hi,

I went to see my doc about something totally unrelated to my weight but we ended up discuccing it ( I am also about 5st overwieght) and he offered me Orlistat. Told me to go home, research it on the Net and go back in 4 weeks to see him & let him know if I want it. I think the doc will be sympathetic towards you as there is a concerted effort to reduce obesity before people get to the stage where they cost the NHS even more money with diabetes, heart problems etc.

I cannot see a reason why the doc wouldn't help you, it's in their best interests to get you to a healthy weight. If they won't , just ask to see someone else.

Best wishes!

• Posted

WOW!!! 16lb in 3 weeks that is fantastic i have been on the blue pill 3 weeks today i dont know what i have lost till next monday it is driving me nuts, and i was questioning if they work , i would be happy with 8lb anything more than that will be terrific. i started at the same wieght as you so i am going to keep my fingers crossed and hopefully do as well as you!! reading all of this just makes me more determined to shed the wieght and feel good about myself.
  • Posted

I am also just starting on my 3rd week. Don't know if I have lost anything yet though. Only just started to get some of the predicted side effects yesterday - perhaps it takes a while to get into the system or, maybe I have been getting complacent and eating a little more fat than the previous 2 weeks.:shock:

S

• Posted

Hi

Just reading your posting has cheered me up! I'm nearing 4 weeks on these tablets, will be weighing myself for the first time on thursday. I started out at the exact weight you are 105 kg so will be interesting to see if i have lost anything as like you i don't feel any \"slimmer\" but I have been swimming twice a week and trying to follow a low fat diet and taking the tablets with every meal - will keep you posted as to my weight loss just hope its as good as yours!!!

Congratulations!!!

Tigger x

• Posted

Does anyone know... if I am eating a healthy diet without any fat - are these tablets going to do anything for me?! Or is it the idea, that if I eat the fat, then it works by not absorbing as much of it? Have been taking reductil for nearly a year - but has kinda stopped working now, so doc has put me onto orlistat - but not sure if they're for me! Haven't picked up prescription yet - and don't know if I should!! Lost 5 stone altogether over about a year and a half - so its getting tough to get those last few pounds off!!

would love any help - thanks guys x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.