Today my surgeon discharged me which is good. But I have been having some pain in my ankle when I wa

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lk. Sometimes my ankle will lock up and I'm unable to walk normally as my ankle seems to be causing me to limp slightly. I mentioned this to my surgeon who wasn't overly concerned saying its quite common with knee replacement to have ankle pain after and that it will get better over next 3-4 months.. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This may help...

Other Pain Post-TKR

Maybe an off the shelf AFO would help for a while...

• Posted

Thankyou.. This is very helpful and I've just ordered a AFO So hopefully that will help until the muscles are stronger.

• Posted

My wife has one that was custom cast in purple. However, she suffers from permanent dropfoot with an inward turn since the two TIA strokes she had while undergoing brain aneurysm surgery nine years ago. The AFO works for her just fine...no more falling...

• Posted

After 10 1/2 months I STILL SEE MY SURGEON EVERY 3 months. I had a lot of pain from compensation for 3,6&9 months. My hands on physical therapist helped get me aligned which helped. Walking on ground vs. a treadmill did the rest. While I did not have ankle pain I had foot pain in non surgery side, and pain above as well as on the side of the calf on TKR side. give it some time and push yourself as much as you can. good luck.

• Posted

Thank you.. Its good to hear that this is normal and can with time and patience and hard work it will come good.

• Posted

Read the "Other Pain Post-TKR" from the link above. All of this is normal and very individual. Mine came as sciatica 5 weeks post-op. Chiropractor realigned my hips and spine in a few weeks. Some people completely overreact with nerve meds (gabapentin {neurontin} or Lyrica) and then have withdrawal problems or severe side effects like huge weight gains. Others go out and spend hundreds on custom shoe orthotics for a difference in leg length when the problem is really hip misalignment. I always recommend the simple, non-invasive, non-medication modalities first. Chiropractic, PT, acupuncture, massage, etc... Exhaust those resources before you climb "the ladder of care"...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.