Too much?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My 22 year old son has been diagnosed  schizophrenic. One drug he is on is Gabapentin, 600mg. With his doctors ok, he is taking 11/ day. Yes, 11.  His mood started off fine, calm, focused, and actually began college 3 weeks ago.  1.5 weeks ago he be again showing signs of  irritability, and mood swings. Some of these mood changes are probably related to the  schizophrenia , but can Gabapentin in high doses cause this as well?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what is the total dose he is on then ? soory I was a bit confused when you said 600mg, and 11 a day ....
  • Posted

6,600/day. Way too much I think!
    • Posted

I didn't know that Gaberpentin was used for Schizophrenia. That does seem a high dose, I would check with the GP tomorrow. I take 900 mgs a day for nerve pain.
    • Posted

Neither did I ?? must be Rx'ed for something else....it's primary licence is for adjunctive treatment for epilepsy, and then it got a secondary license for treating neuropathic pain.
  • Posted

I have only ever taken gabapentin for nerve pain, and I was on what the drs decided was the highest effective dose for nerve pain without excalation of side effects. I took at total of 1800mg a day - this was 600mg taken three times a day. I know the dose can go up to 3600mg, but I was told for nerve pain anyway that there was little documented evidence to say worth going above 1800mg a day, as not much increase in pain relief but there is a huge increase in side effects. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

To be honest, it doesn't nothing for my back injury. Nerves are involved in every type of pain. No way was I going to increase my dosage. I stopped taking it after a few days and reading the risks.

Heating pads and hot baths do more.

• Posted

I have just had a look in a BNF I still have - not most current volume, but still relevant - Gabapentin was initially an anti seizure medication for epilepsy, an adjunctive therpay when seizures not controlled on other epileptics alone. Then came the licence for neuropathic pain. Please note that you must not suddenly withrdraw this medication, need to taper off slowly when you stop this, ask dr in what increments, although I did it even slower than they said because I take other meds too and didn't want to put my body through hell. !! Under CAUTIONS are Psychotic Illness.....I don't know the full psychiatric history but it may be worth checking if you are concerned
    • Posted

The only thing(s) Gabapentin should be prescribed for is aid to an anticonvulsant and nerve pain.

I was prescribed for a severe back injury as an alternative to opiods, but I don't take the Gabapentin either because of its risks.

CBD (not THC hemp oil) is legal in the US state I live in. In higher doses it can treat pain but it is used as a much more effective anticonvulsant than substances like Gabapentin.

• Posted

I was taking opiods ( still do , slow release morphine , only thing that works now for pain ) - not nerve pain though !.....and gabapentin, and diazepam at 2mg x3 daily.....I am pretty good regarding resistance to side effects usually....but I wasn't prepared for how much my pain clinic in UK kept encouraging me to stick with gabapentin despite the side effects I have mentioned....people should be told.....I'm guessing CBD is a form of cannabis, I can say I have never been offered that here in the UK !! I know some people over here use similar for MS
  • Posted

Gabapentin isn't normally used to treat schizophrenia

I thought the US had bad healthcare... Wow...

I'm really sorry. They should not have put him on that.

Not to mention it is an excessively high dosage.

• Posted

I would do nothing as regards this drug until you have spoken with your GP as Holly says one as to be very careful with regards to the dosage or coming off the drugs, these are very strong so please get expert advice.
  • Posted

Way too much please consult a psychiatrist center or new doctor!

That's if he is willing to.

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice. Going to talk with Dr. This week and get a new game plan.
    • Posted

You're welcome.

I think in the US they are much more strict with amounts they're willing to prescribed. This probably caused my initial shock. He may need to go to a psychiatric facility only to ween off under supervision. Explain to him it is all normal. I wonder if his schizophrenia was simply psychosis? I know some able to ween off medications after years because they no longer have schizophrenia their body has regulated itself.

• Posted

Hi Jeff.....Please call dr....side effects can include mood swings suicidal thoughts etc....and remember your son must been weaned off....you cant just stop taking it...........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.