Too much?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My 22 year old son has been diagnosed  schizophrenic. One drug he is on is Gabapentin, 600mg. With his doctors ok, he is taking 11/ day. Yes, 11.  His mood started off fine, calm, focused, and actually began college 3 weeks ago.  1.5 weeks ago he be again showing signs of  irritability, and mood swings. Some of these mood changes are probably related to the  schizophrenia , but can Gabapentin in high doses cause this as well?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My understanding of Gabapentin is it can be taken safely in doses up to 4,000mg. However, it must be titrated up in increments so the body can tolorate it. I'm surprised a pharmacy would fill a prescription for a dose of 6,600mg. Especially if it was started at that dose. It dose need to be brought down by tapering. The higher the dose, the greater the taper can be tolerated. Once you are below 1500mg, the slower you need to taper. You might consider getting a second opinion for a dose for your son. Also, speak to a pharmacist about the safety of this high dose. Going above 4,000mg seems dangerous since this medication has a maximum allowance for humans. I have not seen a dosage given for more than 3600mg. This medication can cause a lot of undesirable side effects, especially at high levels... including mood changes. Report all side effects you are noticing to your doctor. RxList and Drugs websites will give you a list of possible side effects.
    • Posted

I seriously would have to advise anyone going over 1800mg a day of gabapentin to check with their dr, and even a second opinion.....I have been told by more than one doctor that efficacy does not massively increase beyong 1800mg a day, but side effects do.....so whilst it may be licensed to a higher dose it is rarely worth it due to inc. side effects vs benefits. Seriously, this is not a drug to be messed around with....I have so far permanent side effects ( 12 months post stopping it ) on my short term memory and speech ( cognitive and language part of brain ) after circa 5 years of being on it at 1800mg, then dropped to 1500mg....then I decided after watching film ''Still Alice'' about EAD enough was enough, and that if I got increased pain for a couple of months, which I did, as I dropped the dose down each time, then so be it. I have not got Alzheimer's, and I was sick of feeling and being seen as if I did. DO NOT what ever you do though either escalate this drug too fast when starting, or drop down too quickly, you are playing with fire. Make sure your dr is competent in this area and get their advice asap.
  • Posted

Be sure that you do not taper down without a doctors supervision or he could have very serious and dangerous reactions. This is very important. 
  • Posted

It caused me to have suicidal thoughts at a time in my life when things were never better. Schizophrenia runs in my family. My brother is fortunate enough to only need lithium. I've been on several meds for anxiety/depression. I am also a mental health therapist. Gabapentin is as bad as benzodiazepines in my personal and professional opinion. My mom has been on new and old anti psychotics for schizophrenia. The new ones have fewer side effects and I can have more of a conversation with her. She still gets a lot of side effects (ie, restlessness, constant urge to use the bathroom, sleepy). In their cases PROS and cons must be weighed. I suggest joining a local NAMI support group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.