Too Much Calcium Intake?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've read this over the years that many take too much calcium, I take no more than 500mg per day and 4000 IU's of Vit D3 and 1000mg or more of magnesium thru the day.

Just got this from a friend this morning, so thought I'd share it here...hope it's safe to share as it gets confusing what can and cannot be shared...

Supplements of calcium and vitamin D may have too much for some older women

CLEVELAND, Ohio (June 18, 2014)—Calcium and vitamin D are commonly recommended for older women, but the usual supplements may send calcium excretion and blood levels too high for some women, shows a new study published online today in Menopause, the journal of The North American Menopause Society.

This randomized, placebo-controlled trial included 163 older (ages 57 to 90) white women whose vitamin D levels were too low. The women took calcium citrate tablets to meet their recommended intake of 1,200 mg/day, and they took various doses of vitamin D, ranging from 400 to 4,800 IU/day. (The trial was limited by ethnicity because different ethnic groups metabolize calcium and vitamin D differently.)

About 9% of the women developed excess levels of calcium in their blood (hypercalcemia), and 31% developed excess levels in their urine (hypercalciuria), even though they were taking normal doses of the supplements and did not have hyperparathyroidism, a condition in which the body makes too much calcium-regulating hormone. These excess blood and urine calcium levels may lead to kidney stones or other problems.

The good news in this study is that the investigators found a way to predict which women were likely to develop these excess levels. The risk of developing excess urine calcium was 15 times higher for women who started out with a 24-hour urine calcium level above 132 mg than for women with lower levels. And the risk was 20 times higher for women who started with levels above 180 mg than for women with lower levels. But every one-year increase in age reduced the risk by 10%.

"Even a modest calcium supplementation of 500 mg/day may be too high for some women," note the authors, who recommend measuring blood and urine calcium levels before women start using the supplements and again within three months.

"I would recommend that women determine how much calcium they typically get through their food sources before taking a hefty calcium supplement. They may not need as much as they think," says NAMS Executive Director Margery Gass, MD.

###

The study, "Incidence of hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia during vitamin D and calcium supplementation in older women," was supported by a grant from the National Institute on Aging and the Office of Dietary Supplements and will be published in the November 2014 print edition of Menopause.

Founded in 1989, The North American Menopause Society (NAMS) is North America's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the health and quality of life of all women during midlife and beyond through an understanding of menopause and healthy aging. Its multidisciplinary membership of 2,000 leaders in the field—including clinical and basic science experts from medicine, nursing, sociology, psychology, nutrition, anthropology, epidemiology, pharmacy, and education—makes NAMS uniquely qualified to serve as the definitive resource for health professionals and the public for accurate, unbiased information about menopause and healthy aging.

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have high calcium, said to be from parathyroid disease. I have low d vitamin. From my research, the high calcium is because my bones do not reabsorb it. I also have advanced osteoporosis. It is curious I have a low calcium condition and a high calcium disease as we..
    • Posted

From a higly reputable medical center in the U.S. I believe what this basically says magnesium is needed for calcium absorption. I've been working on this issue for years and THINK I have it right for me...

Every organ in the body -- especially the heart, muscles, and kidneys -- needs the mineral magnesium. It also contributes to the makeup of teeth and bones. Most important, it activates enzymes, contributes to energy production, and helps regulate calcium levels, as well as copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D, and other important nutrients in the body.

You can get magnesium from many foods. However, most people in the United States probably do not get as much magnesium as they should from their diet. Foods rich in magnesium include whole grains, nuts, and green vegetables. Green leafy vegetables are particularly good sources of magnesium.

Although you may not get enough magnesium from your diet, it’s rare to be truly deficient in magnesium. Certain medical conditions, however, can upset the body's magnesium balance. For example, an intestinal virus that causes vomiting or diarrhea can cause temporary magnesium deficiencies. Some gastrointestinal diseases (such as irritable bowel syndrome or IBS and ulcerative colitis), diabetes, pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism (high thyroid hormone levels), kidney disease, and taking diuretics can lead to deficiencies. Too much coffee, soda, salt, or alcohol, as well as heavy menstrual periods, excessive sweating, and prolonged stress can also lower magnesium levels.

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency may include agitation and anxiety, restless leg syndrome (RLS), sleep disorders, irritability, nausea and vomiting, abnormal heart rhythms, low blood pressure, confusion, muscle spasm and weakness, hyperventilation, insomnia, poor nail growth, and even seizures.

Uses

Getting enough magnesium may enhance the effectiveness of conventional treatment for the following conditions:

Asthma

Several studies show that intravenous (IV) magnesium and magnesium inhaled through a nebulizer can help treat acute attacks of asthma in children 6 - 18 years of age, as well as adults. But there is no evidence that taking oral magnesium helps control asthma symptoms. Low levels of magnesium may increase risk of developing asthma. A population based clinical study of more than 2,500 children 11 - 19 years of age found that low dietary magnesium intake may be associated with risk of asthma. The same was found in a group of more than 2,600 adults 18 - 70 years of age.

Depression

Inadequate magnesium appears to reduce serotonin levels, and antidepressants have been shown to raise brain magnesium. A 2008 study found that magnesium was as effective as the tricyclic antidepressants in treating depression among people with diabetes.

Diabetes

People who have type 2 diabetes often have low levels of magnesium in the blood. A large clinical study of over 2,000 people found that getting more magnesium in the diet may help protect against developing type 2 diabetes. Some -- though not all -- studies suggest that taking magnesium supplements may help blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity in people with diabetes or prediabetes.

Fibromyalgia

A small preliminary clinical study of 24 people with fibromyalgia found that a proprietary tablet containing both malic acid and magnesium improved pain and tenderness associated with fibromyalgia when taken for at least 2 months. Other studies suggest the combination of calcium and magnesium may be helpful for some people with fibromyalgia.

However, a review article evaluating a number of studies found that magnesium with malic acid offered no pain relief. More studies are needed.

Noise related hearing loss

One study suggests that taking magnesium may prevent temporary or permanent hearing loss due to very loud noise.

Arrhythmia and heart failure

Magnesium is essential to heart health. Studies suggest a possible association between a modestly lower risk of CHD in men and increased magnesium intake. In one study of women, higher dietary intakes of magnesium were associated with a lower risk of sudden cardiac death. Magnesium helps maintain a normal heart rhythm and is sometimes given intravenously (IV) in the hospital to reduce the chance of atrial fibrillation and cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). People with congestive heart failure (CHF) are often at risk for developing cardiac arrhythmia. For this reason, your doctor may decide that magnesium should be a part of the treatment of CHF. One well designed study found that taking magnesium orotate for a year reduced symptoms and improved survival rates compared to placebo in people with CHF. Magnesium and calcium work together at very precise ratios to ensure your heart functions properly. If you have a cardiac history, talk to your doctor before taking magnesium supplements.

Results of studies using magnesium to treat heart attack survivors, however, have been mixed. Some have reported lower death rates, as well as fewer arrhythmias and improved blood pressure when magnesium is used as part of the treatment following a heart attack. But one study found that magnesium slightly increased the risk of sudden death, chance of another heart attack, or need for bypass surgery in the year after a heart attack. If you have had a heart attack, your doctor will decide if magnesium supplementation, either IV or orally, is right for you.

High blood pressure

Eating low fat dairy products, along with lots of fruits and vegetables on a regular basis, is associated with lower blood pressure. All of these foods are rich in magnesium, as well as calcium and potassium. A large clinical study of more than 8,500 women found that a higher intake of dietary magnesium may decrease the risk of high blood pressure in women. A few studies also suggest that magnesium supplements may help lower blood pressure, although not all studies agree.

Migraine headache

A few studies suggest that taking magnesium supplements may help prevent migraine headaches. In addition, a few clinical studies suggest that magnesium supplements may shorten the duration of a migraine and reduce the amount of medication needed. People who have migraine headaches tend to have lower levels of magnesium compared to those with tension headaches or no headaches at all.

Some experts suggest combining magnesium with the herb feverfew along with vitamin B2 (riboflavin) may be helpful when you have a headache.

However, some studies suggest that magnesium sulfate may be less effective than prescription medications for preventing migraines in those who have 3 or more headaches per month. The only exception to this may be women who get migraine headaches around the time of their period.

Osteoporosis

Not getting enough calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, and other micronutrients may play a role in the development of osteoporosis. To prevent osteoporosis, it is important to get enough calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D; to eat a well balanced diet; and to do weight bearing exercises throughout life.

Preeclampsia and eclampsia

Preeclampsia is characterized by a sharp rise in blood pressure during the third trimester of pregnancy. Women with preeclampsia may develop seizures, which is then called eclampsia. Magnesium, given in the hospital intravenously (IV), is the treatment of choice to prevent or treat seizures associated with eclampsia or to prevent complications from preeclampsia.

Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)

Scientific studies suggest that magnesium supplements may help relieve symptoms associated with PMS, particularly bloating, insomnia, leg swelling, weight gain, and breast tenderness. One study suggests that a combination of magnesium and vitamin B6 may work better than either one alone.

Restless legs syndrome

A small clinical study including only 10 patients found that magnesium improved insomnia related to restless legs syndrome (a disorder characterized by uncomfortable sensations in the legs, which are worse during periods of inactivity or rest or while sitting or lying down).

Dietary Sources

Rich sources of magnesium include tofu, legumes, whole grains, green leafy vegetables, wheat bran, Brazil nuts, soybean flour, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin and squash seeds, pine nuts, and black walnuts. Other good dietary sources of this mineral include peanuts, whole wheat flour, oat flour, beet greens, spinach, pistachio nuts, shredded wheat, bran cereals, oatmeal, bananas, and baked potatoes (with skin), chocolate, and cocoa powder. Many herbs, spices, and seaweeds supply magnesium, such as agar seaweed, coriander, dill weed, celery seed, sage, dried mustard, basil, cocoa powder, fennel seed, savory, cumin seed, tarragon, marjoram, poppy seed.

Available Forms

Magnesium is available in many forms. Recommended types include magnesium citrate, magnesium gluconate, and magnesium lactate, all of which are more easily absorbed into the body than other forms. Time release preparations may improve absorption. Ask your health care provider.

Other familiar sources are magnesium hydroxide (often used as a laxative or antacid) and magnesium sulfate (generally used orally as a laxative or in multivitamins, or added to a bath). Some magnesium can be absorbed through the skin.

How to Take It

Be sure to check with your health care provider before taking magnesium supplements and before considering them for a child. Under certain circumstances, such as certain heart arrhythmias or preeclampsia, a doctor will give magnesium intravenously (IV) in the hospital.

It is a good idea to take a B vitamin complex, or a multivitamin containing B vitamins, because the level of vitamin B6 in the body determines how much magnesium will be absorbed into the cells.

• Posted

Hi joy  I wanted to thank you for telling me about topicin miss spelled .any way it really helped.I had a sore just on the inside my nose and was red ,swollen and very tender I use antibiotic cream nothing got better.So iput the new cream, and all the pain went away also the site is healing.

I also added couple suppilments I started taking and it was not sent.??

• Posted

hi joy

thank you so much for this!

one other benefit of calcium might be in the oxalate issue. I'm not sure if I have an oxalate prob but with LS (Lichen Sclerosus) there can be a reaction to oxalates as in nuts and spinach...this was pretty bad news for me since i've quit grains and am low on sugar and dairy. Apparently calcium can buffer oxalates...I wonder if you might have encountered any info about calcium as a buffer to oxalates on your travels? I'm aware of other protections such as ensuring sufficiency of selenium, zinc, iron and iodine when eating cruciferous veg....the idea that broccoli was a prob and a cause of low thyroid ("why do i still have symptoms " by datis kharrazian) has been relinquished by the author...tho people reading the book may still be misled. 

would love your comments re oxalates and thanks joy for all your contribs ...have you been criticised by the moderators? you're sounding sensitive...?

• Posted

Hi Marey, I don't know about calcium buffering oxalates..I do know of the oxalate foods: spinach, kale, swiss chard, almonds, cashews,, chocolate....I've cut back on nuts in general, and eat the veggies in moderation.Some dark chocolate now and then.

I take selenium daily, iodine too and do take a thyroid suport since 2002...

I'm not a 100% on top of the world but manage, the hip job did a job on me. Plus old age needs to be taken into account, I'm not getting younger, I have a good mind but body is getting tired, pain slows one down of course.

Otherwise Yes to your question.Joy

• Posted

Armour since 2002 after a 10 yr long struggle with that "normal" mantra...I could write a book on what I went thru and Armour saves me...started suspecting sluggish thyroid in 1991, I was 53.. Synthroid did me in, talk about fatigue, I was falling over myself on that med.
    • Posted

at puritan, no it's a prescription med, been around for about 100 yrs....
    • Posted

It's desiccated thyroid support and contains T3 and T4, synthroid which is synthetic contains only T4.... I'm surprised since I think you are a nurse. The old time docs and naturopaths and integrated MD's write scripts MORE than conventional MD's.... Today's medical docs come out of med school "brainwashed " with the synthetics.

Long long history on this med....long before there were ever thyroid labs, docs gave patients Armour when they came in with a long list of symptoms....they knew.

• Posted

I have hypothroid.. and on levothyroxin..o88mg

I have asked the doctor several times of there is something else to take.He said no.

Personally I have never seen in the hospital or out pt.That medication.First I heard of it.

• Posted

From Wikipedia, Dr. Barnes treated exclusively with Armour::

Broda Otto Barnes (14 April 1906 – 1 November 1988) was an American physician who studied endocrine dysfunction, particularly hypothyroidism.[4][5] In the 1970s, Barnes published several books arguing that hypothyroidism was underdiagnosed in the U.S. and was responsible for a wide range of health problems. Barnes' views on the prevalence of hypothyroidism were never widely accepted by the medical community and run counter to the current medical understanding of thyroid function, but they have been embraced by some elements of the alternative medicine community.[6]

• Posted

Barnes believed that many common diseases, including heart disease, cancer, depression, arthritis, diabetes, the common cold, tonsillitis, ear infections, apparent laziness in children, various menstrual disorders, and skin disorders, were all caused or exacerbated by hypothyroidism.[3][5]

Treatment[edit]Barnes treated hypothyroidism by prescribing patients a daily dose of thyroid hormone. He recommended starting with a small dose, and then slowly increasing the dosage in monthly intervals until symptoms resolved and waking body temperature was between 97.8F and 98.2F.

He also recommended never surpassing 3 grains of desiccated thyroid. For most patients, he recommended continuing thyroid medication for life at that optimal dose, though some could be slowly weaned off.[5] Barnes used a desiccated thyroid extract, Armour Thyroid, almost exclusively, based on his anecdotal observation that it was superior to synthetic hormones.[5]

My personal story is 10 yrs of depression and finally found it was thyroid all along and my doc didn't have a clue about Dr. Barnes works...

• Posted

Thyroid hormone dosage is determined by the tsh level in blood work. It is not guesstimated like it used to be. Along with other blood work results, the replacement thyroid hormone is fairly accurately determined.
    • Posted

Your body needs replacement thyroid hormone. It can be the synthetic version, synthroid, or cow thyroid hormone.

Your doctor is right. The treatment of hypothyroid disease is thyroid hormone-synthetic or biological.

So far as I know, there is no other treatment for hypothyroidism. We are pretty much stuck.

• Posted

The reason why your doctor did not know of barnes work is because his work is not accepted by the majority of the medical community. There are reasons for this belief beyond the scope of this forum.

If you had depression for 10 years and no one checked your thyroid, I am left to wonder who was treating your depression? A gp, psychologist, therapist? If it were a psychiatrist, he or she is lacking their due diligence. Systemic causes are supposed to be eliminated before a final diagnoses is made. Overactive adrenals cause depression too. A lot of systemic issues cause or contribute to depression.

I hate to say this again, but my lupus is the culprit of depression as well as parathyroid disease, hypothyroidism, and pre cushings syndrome. Ive had such a problem with depression, my doctors work together.

• Posted

sorry you've suffered with depression meslaton. What do you think was behind this?
    • Posted

not sure that cutting back on oxalates is nec idicated...it maybe there's something going on due to deficiencies...eg as with the cruciferous veg scare...turns out if body has all it needs then cruciferous veg are ok...and they are so fortifying and and good anti-oxidants too.

whats your view point?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.