Too Much Calcium Intake?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've read this over the years that many take too much calcium, I take no more than 500mg per day and 4000 IU's of Vit D3 and 1000mg or more of magnesium thru the day.

Just got this from a friend this morning, so thought I'd share it here...hope it's safe to share as it gets confusing what can and cannot be shared...

Supplements of calcium and vitamin D may have too much for some older women

CLEVELAND, Ohio (June 18, 2014)—Calcium and vitamin D are commonly recommended for older women, but the usual supplements may send calcium excretion and blood levels too high for some women, shows a new study published online today in Menopause, the journal of The North American Menopause Society.

This randomized, placebo-controlled trial included 163 older (ages 57 to 90) white women whose vitamin D levels were too low. The women took calcium citrate tablets to meet their recommended intake of 1,200 mg/day, and they took various doses of vitamin D, ranging from 400 to 4,800 IU/day. (The trial was limited by ethnicity because different ethnic groups metabolize calcium and vitamin D differently.)

About 9% of the women developed excess levels of calcium in their blood (hypercalcemia), and 31% developed excess levels in their urine (hypercalciuria), even though they were taking normal doses of the supplements and did not have hyperparathyroidism, a condition in which the body makes too much calcium-regulating hormone. These excess blood and urine calcium levels may lead to kidney stones or other problems.

The good news in this study is that the investigators found a way to predict which women were likely to develop these excess levels. The risk of developing excess urine calcium was 15 times higher for women who started out with a 24-hour urine calcium level above 132 mg than for women with lower levels. And the risk was 20 times higher for women who started with levels above 180 mg than for women with lower levels. But every one-year increase in age reduced the risk by 10%.

"Even a modest calcium supplementation of 500 mg/day may be too high for some women," note the authors, who recommend measuring blood and urine calcium levels before women start using the supplements and again within three months.

"I would recommend that women determine how much calcium they typically get through their food sources before taking a hefty calcium supplement. They may not need as much as they think," says NAMS Executive Director Margery Gass, MD.

###

The study, "Incidence of hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia during vitamin D and calcium supplementation in older women," was supported by a grant from the National Institute on Aging and the Office of Dietary Supplements and will be published in the November 2014 print edition of Menopause.

Founded in 1989, The North American Menopause Society (NAMS) is North America's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the health and quality of life of all women during midlife and beyond through an understanding of menopause and healthy aging. Its multidisciplinary membership of 2,000 leaders in the field—including clinical and basic science experts from medicine, nursing, sociology, psychology, nutrition, anthropology, epidemiology, pharmacy, and education—makes NAMS uniquely qualified to serve as the definitive resource for health professionals and the public for accurate, unbiased information about menopause and healthy aging.

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What you are referring to is hyperparathyroid disease, nick named "moans, bones, groans, etc.".

Hyperparathyroid disease is not caused by hypothyroidism. Hyperparathyroid disease is believed to be an autoimmune disorder.

I know this because I am soon to have parathyroid glands surgically removed. My primary problem is systematic lupus. Attacked my thyroid too. Have hypothyroid disease as well. In fact, I don't have a thyroid anymore. I know my thyroid issue did not cause parathyroid disease. Doctor just explained to me in great detail.

Hope this is helpful.

• Posted

oh my god...you're surely not agreeing to have organs removed?

lupus is ameanable to natural therapies....

• Posted

Oh my..a totally uneducated opinion.

First, the parathyroid is a gland, not an organ. Second, the effects of parathyroid disease are not at all good. For me, the kidney involvement in already damaged kidneys. I also do not want the calcium sucked out of my bones. Removing the diseased glands is a minor procedure. I have been to a highly regarded endocrinologist, and 2 professors of endocrinologist. One in san Francisco, another in salt lake city. I also have a tumor on my adrenals. I surely value their collective opinions.

Finally, "natural" treatments are fine, but is totally ignorant if done in place of modern medicine. You must not know much about lupus. One can only medicate the symptoms. Stopping the course of this disease. ? Well if you know how, you will get the Nobel peace award.

• Posted

I think we can discuss this and not get "hot"....I sense some hot temperment going on....this is merely saying that calcium ALONE is not the best, mag and vit D are needed as well.

A side note: a friend who is an HMO patient, was told by her "educated" doc years ago it was OK to suck on Tums for her calcium needs...this woman ended up with deposits on her thyroid GLAND and subsequently another educated doc removed her thyroid ALL BAD INFO from these educated docs.... This woman found out after the fact that her thyroid should NOT have been removed....

Lots of bad info from these educated docs...

Marey: I could not FIND this thread for a while.

• Posted

What annoys me is an obviously uneducated statement given with a sense of authority. Yes, I put a lot of stock into education. In the sciences, one puts forth a hypothesis and sets out to a show correlation. I do not use the word "proof" since it holds special meaning.

Clinical trials, rigorous testing are used to validate medications and treatments. This methodology means alot to the scientific community. Perceived treatments are cheap and easy to find. Put forth without evidence is easy to spot.

This forum is about hip replacements. It is not intended to be a pedestal for unsupported preachings.

If this is what the thread has evolved to, I may un subscribe. Ignorance truly annoys me when one attempts to be an authority.

• Posted

So the moral of this story is witch doctors are superior to (gasp!) Doctors who have attended medical school?

A thyroid is no doubt removed for good reason. The fact it was removed is not incompetent. Do you know exactly why it was removed? If so, what you do different.

To disparage a doctors name because he or she is educated, well this statement is what ones calls a self evident truth.

• Posted

This post was moved to the Alternative section.....

My friend who had her thyroid removed, did not get a 2nd opinion and just because there were some nodules on her thyroid, or deposits, the doc rushed to remove the thyroid....she now knows there was no reason to do this....it was calcium deposits and now she has lost a lot of her voice and pretty angry at her ULCA HMO docs....and some friends detest UCLA docs as it's a teaching medical school, not the BEST docs.

I had nodules on my thyroid many years ago after an ultra scan and I guess they are still there or are gone....I take thyroid support and iodine daily and selenium and follow alternative path to healing MOST of my body.....too bad I could not do it for the hip.

I don't know much about Lupus exept it's auto immune but as I feel for MOST there are alterantives for everything. I know enough folks who use both protocols...I deal with OA and Fibro and this mess hip and strongest I take is otc pain meds and the rest supps.

A friend's sister was just given the RA dx as it came on like overnight....she's doing all she before she heads for the heavy duty damaging drugs.

• Posted

Sounds like your friends doctor was very incompetent. Nodules should have been biopsied. Losing her voice is not an acceptable side effect.

With my medical issues, I have learned quite a bit from research. I don't pretend to be an expert, but study the issues enough to ask the right questions (at least I try). Without suitable answers, more study and opinions. We can't blame anyone but ourselves when there medical decisions to be made, unless lacking intelligence (that's not a crime), or a minor, or infirm.

One valuable lesson I have learned is never have surgery with the diagnosing doctor. A conflict of interest. Surgery is a very specialized skill. Surgeon must be smart enough to concur or disagree with reasons for surgery.

Lupus has taught me a lot. How I feel has nothing to do with relative health, or "behind the scenes" destruction. Meaning, I may feel really ill and there is no damage going on. I may feel totally healthy, only to discover my kidneys and liver have become very damaged..the later really happened.

Living in an unhealthy body has taught me to value the moment. I went 10 years without studying lupus because I knew their was no treatment for slowing it down. Now, I study the different complications and treatments for symptoms. Treating the symptoms is all that can be done. Healthy living helps everyone to a point. It cannot be expected to do miracles.

Illness does not define who I am. I honestly don't spend time worrying about it. I DO find interesting the thr thread, hearing the successes (from my vantage) and issues.

Be well. Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.