Too much too soon.

Posted , 8 users are following.

4 weeks post op and feeling amazing! Then yesterday I had a full-on day of going out in the car, popped into shop, saw friends and had friends over fir dinner (husband did all the food though) and felt absolutely exhausted, sore and saw fresh blood for the first time since week 2.

Is this ok do you think?

I feel ok today, just stiff from moving too much I think as I've been pretty much couch bound since the start.

I was thinking, this stinging and soreness, the surgeons must have had to stretch our openings quite a bit don't you think? Makes me squirm at the very thought of it, but that might account for that stinging, possibly?

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's a possibility but I also think it's where the stitches are and as the tissue starts to heal they pull a bit. Never quite thought of that,glad I didn't opt to have it done under an epidural now

• Posted

Yes you did far too much yesterday. As I always say, listen to your body. It's now telling you to rest even though you feel ok today.i don't know why you passed some fresh blood but if it's stopped I wouldn't worry too much. You may have just dislodged a clot that was already there and if you hadn't passed it the clot would have just eventually been absorbed back into your body. Rest!!
  • Posted

Hi I'm 5 and half week post rectocele op. I was exactly the same, I went to see Dr and he signed me off for another 4 week (totalling 8 weeks). As I was feeling good and practically back to myself I felt guilty at having another 4 week off. I went out for dinner with friends started short drives though needed a cushion for comfort . I began bending picking odd things up filling washer and little bits of work around the house .After about 4 days it came back to bite me, I lost sight that I was still recovering and ate things I'd been avoiding due to constipation problem, I strained and after I noticed a stitch had popped open which I didn't even know was there (I thought they'd all come out ). . I started feeling sore and noticed some inflammation so after 3 days went to Dr and she gave me a course of antibiotics due to a stitch in my vaginal opening coming out too soon and getting aggravated by me not resting thus becoming infected stopping the skin from healing together. I'm on day 2 of antibiotics still feel sore but slowly easing . it is so easy to think you are well when your only a third way through the journey it is so important to rest and keep your bowels open .

The problem I've had is I've felt no pain at all or sensation at sight of incision along the back wall only the perineum and just inside. This has been my downfall because I've had no signals from my body telling me to stop until its affected the vulnerable parts ie stitches.

Don't think you're well so soon rest and take heed, those stitches are at a vulnerable stage partially dissolved and skin partially healing please take extra care week 4 -8 you aren't as healed as you think you are . I would get the stinging checked by your Dr take care Sally

• Posted

I'm with Matron, you did far too much. That's the problem when we start to feel better ~ the temptation to live life again! Try to resist and go back to baby steps ~ you'll get there.
  • Posted

Omg.  I was the same way.  I am so much better.  Yes, you get tired and then you rest for a day or two.  Week 6?is the magic week if feeling better.
  • Posted

Cheers ladies, yes feet up all day doing my Facebook blog...so my hands and head have been busy. No blood today at all xxx

how are you all?

• Posted

Glad to hear you've taken it easy today. It's so tempting when you feel better to jump back into what you did before.I'm 15 weeks post op now but I really don't overdo it anymore and if I get tired I stop. The biggest hardship for me has been looking out at what needs doing in my garden and having to accept that my days of lugging 60 litre bags of compost and huge pot plants around are over.Keep resting up x
  • Posted

Hi 

Im just 3 wks tomorrow and had to go to counselling today so walked in total for about 15mins with car ride there and back and I too have bled more today so Matron and the other ladies are correct too much too soon. I did have a good look into how my op was done and it seems that there are quite a lot of internal stitches to ligaments and stuff (cant remember all the bits) they told me at the hsp that these stitches will disolve after 4-6mnths and the vaginal ones upto and around 6 weeks. This must be why recovery takes so long because everything inside will take longer to heal as for lots of us it is supporting our up lifts :-) while they strengthen.

hope everyone is resting well 

x

• Posted

You are absolutely right witchesmole. If you have external sutures for instance say after an appendectomy you can see the sutures and it makes you more cautious. If your sutures are internal there's a tendency to forget about them. If you've had abdominal surgery remember how painful it could be to walk or bend down. The stitches would pull and that's what's happening to the internal stitches, they are pulling. I had to keep remembering that after my surgery. 
    • Posted

I was never told that the internal stitches would take  between 4 and 6 months to heal,that may explain why sex is painful. I wish the information given out was the same to everyone. Thank goodness for this forum,have learnt so much from reading other ladies tales of their operations x
  • Posted

Sounds like you might have did a little too much. But that's just my opinion. Hope you are feeling better. Hearing all this from everyone not just you is scary for me. So much to think about first have to see Dr again and go from there.
    • Posted

Try not to afraid Tina, just make sure you allow plenty of time to recover, should you need it x
  • Posted

I walked too much today (was about 20mins and a bus wait) and boy is my butt hurting :-( cant get comfy sitting at all thought it was ok couple of hours ago but i guess the being upright for the length of time pulls internally on the repaired work done... lesson learned!!
    • Posted

Yes you'll have to take it easy now for the next few days. 
    • Posted

Yes I seriously think it must be gravity that does this. Makes sense though doesn't it?

I made dinner tonight and realised I was bending to pick stuff up out of all the cupboards. These need changing I think, put things in more sensible places. I ached afterwards something awful. But it's IS getting better I feel.

• Posted

Hi Patsy

I've not started pelvic Floor yet i read on here I think lol not to do them too early but can't for the life of me remember why I shall look it up tomorrow 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.