too old for this?? :(

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have severe health anxiety but feel at 43 i should not be getting worse but i am

and i think a lot of people on here are younger than me, is anyone my age with anxiety on sertraline?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Natalie, I am now 50, and have severe anxiety with mild depression. I just started taking these meds however previously I had been on and off Paxil.

For me all of this anxiety started in my late 30's... came on out of no where with my first panic attack. Everyone is different and has individual issues that can come on at different Stages of life.

• Posted

I am 62, anxiety and panic hit me eight months ago, leading to depression. No idea why? But getting better weekly. Just want my old life back!

• Posted

I'm 45 for a few more days, and have had anxiety for many years. I used to take sertraline for years, but stopped when I thought I could do without it. That was a big mistake, and now I'm too afraid (thanks, anxiety) to start it again, and go through side effects, etc. Currently, my anxiety is the worst its been in a long time, but hormones are at play and making things worse.

Anxiety definitely doesn't have any age boundaries, and will wreck havoc at any given chance.

• Posted

thank u for your replies . i am having terrible night sweats and more often then not very loose bowel movements , been on it for nearly 2 weeks. did any of u get this? the thing is i has also started getting sweat a few weeks before so that was panicking me anyway and now i don't know if it's the tablets causing it or something bad sad

• Posted

I didn't get that from setraline, but everyone is different. I'm also on other medication for urinary issues tho, that reduces my ability to sweat. If you were sweating before the setraline, it's possibly hormones. I had terrible night sweats last year, all hormone related.

• Posted

I've noticed some posts where people mention that they had gotten some sweating when they started the medicine, but everyone experiences different side effects.

Hormones can also cause sweating, and when you add sweating from anxiety to the mix, it's like being a human waterfall. Anxiety alone make me sweat like crazy, yet hands and feet will feel cold.

Whatever the reason behind the sweating, make sure to keep your electrolyte levels up. ?

• Posted

Yes i had both with terrible nauseau as well. i dropped from the 50mg to 25 for aweek then went back up to 50 then 100. It seems to have passed now, stick it out for a bit more or call your dr.,
    • Posted

thank u tammy how long u been on them now? have u got health anxiety too?
    • Posted

was it sometimes ok and then diarrhoea again? sorry to ask but just worrying as think it's passed and then today was terrible, like 3 times bad 😢

• Posted

More like a sports drink that has sodium and potassium in it. If you don't like those, try eating potassium rich foods, especially if you feel like you don't need extra sodium.

I'm currently dealing with a potassium and B 12 deficiency from not eating correctly, or from eating very little. It has caused all over weakness, palpitations, dizziness, feeling faint, internal tremors, concentration problems, hard to breathe, blurry vision, horrible anxiety, and so much more. The anxiety from this feels different, but worse. Quite strange, but you definitely don't want it.

So, keep well hydrated in general, and maybe add a sports drink here and there. Anxiety depletes us of so much, and med side effects don't help matters.

• Posted

is nice to be in touch with people

of similar age , be good to stay in touch

• Posted

I am 46 years old.  My anxiety/depression reared it's ugly head at the beginning of this year (well it may have been before that but everything pretty much came to a head at the beginning of year).  Mine decided to attack with severe insomnia which turned into anxiety about sleeping and then would keep me from sleeping (bad cycle).  I already was worried about work (recent layoffs which luckily I managed to avoid but I always feel like they are just looking for reasons to get rid of more people), plus other financial issues, having a teenager, etc.  I am noticing some help with the sertraline but I am still ramping up my dosage to find that perfect level.  Sleep has gotten a bit better.  I do have Ativan p.r.n. for any breakthrough anxiety which I do have but I try really hard to NOT take it unless it just becomes too much.  I don't think anxiety/depression cares what age anyone is.  It took me a while to admit I was dealing with this, though. 

• Posted

hello i had my test this morning and my lovely doctor called me as soon as they came in to let me know levels back to under 1, so relieved as literally no sleep last night at all. Trying to chill out at moment. she said i need to try and build up to 100mg if i can but i was only ever on 75mg last time! Just feel

mentally exhausted 😩 thank u all for your support x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.