Too young for peri???

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been to see my practice nurse today and told that at 43 im too young for peri and my symptoms probably just in my head!!!!! What age has other people started peri?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know ladies who went into peri in late 30's.

Myself i was 45 & became post when i was 49.

I dont think there is a certain age it all depends on the person.

As a woman you know your body & cycle

• Posted

Because my periods are still monthly although heavy one month and light the next, they wont link my other symptoms. Therefore i must be imaging it...... Mmmmmm I find this forum more helpful then the docs

• Posted

Because my periods are still monthly although heavy one month and light the next, they wont link my other symptoms. Therefore i must be imaging it...... Mmmmmm I find this forum more helpful then the docs

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I'm 46 now but peri-symptoms began about 3 years ago.

I have friends at 38 and 42 who is going through peri now.

• Troldepus
  • Posted

Hi Sandra...Too young my ass! At 40 when I went off BCP. I think I was going through around 38 as I would get hot flashes and heart palps every so often ...pill masked symptoms. I am 41 now...I am a mess of symptoms...worse when I do not get a period. Hence right now, day 48 and I am in misery. Are your periods erratic? Lighter, heavier, longer, shorter? If so, you cannot manifest erratic periods in your head!

• Posted

My periods are still monthly but heavy one month and light the e next.

• Posted

I'm 44 now but this all started for me when I was 43 last year. I never even imagined that it was peri when I went to the doctors with all my strange symptoms. After numerous bloody tests to rule out vitamin deficiencies and other things my doc thinks it is "the start of the change" as he put it. I was told they won't "do anything about it" until I've not had a period for a year. Presumably that means they won't offer me HRT until that time. In the meantime I an suffering with symptoms every day. It sucks, I thought I was too young to be going through this but apparently not 😦

• Posted

Hi Claire

Im almost 48 and miserable also having tests done by the 5TH integrated dr that ive been to to see what nutritional deficiencies if any and also to test my methylation cycle and bacterial issues. My pcp says everything is normal yet i feel like im shutting down both mentally and physically. Cant take it anymore. Can i ask what your symptoms are?

The over stimulation and wired but exhausted feeling are driving me insane.

• Posted

Hi Susan. The first thing I noticed was a terrible pain in my coccyx, like deep in the bone, it hurts terribly sometimes after sitting and i have to get up.

I then started getting a vibrating sensation in my feet which gradually worked its way up to my core. This i have everyday apart from the odd few days relief somewhere in my cycle. Its a constant horrible sensation and it drives me mad also wakes me up a lot.

TERRIBLE sleep, some nights i get four hours. I work 40 hrs a week so I struggle with that a lot when I'm exhausted.

TERRIBLE fatigue, sometimes i want to fall asleep in the middle of the day but cant.

Night sweats, hot flushes during the day. Major hair loss on my head. New hair growing in places I don't want hair at all, such as on my face 

Joint pain, its very bad in my heels when i get out of bed in the morning or when I've been sat down for a while.

My skin has lost a lot of elasticity in the last 12 months and I've noticed a creping effect on the skin on my arms.

Burning/stinging gums that hurt all day sometimes for several days on the run. Headaches every day.

I had terrible brain fog but that has improved with iron tablets off the DR.

My periods are all over the place. I've not had one since May but I had more than one in May. Who knows if/when i'll have another lol.

There are other symptoms but these i've mentioned are the worst ones for me x

• Posted

yes i noticed more darker hair on my face. The dry skin is awful it feels like my face is going to crack when i move it. I do get this feeling in my core and pelvic area that drives me insane and goes down my legs and i feel it in my arms the only way i can describe it is a sensation like having tingly butterflies and not in a good way, its tormenting and sometimes i feel it in my head. Idk if its hormones or a reaction to something i ate or if anyone else feels anything like that but its awful.

Usually a little tingly in the pelvic area wouldnt be a bad thing lol but this is not that at all. This is probably TMI but im goin there anyway- i then at times get a ton of mucus like a lot is that normal? i mean like its there when i urinate but its not coming from the urine.. I also feel like everything is so tight like the moisture has been sucked out of every tissue. If youve ever seen the movie hocus pocus with bette midler- yeah im her at the end when she turns to stone.

Are your senses also heightened when you are having a bad day? I can smell things so strong it makes me sick and loud sounds feel like they go through me. Honestly i think im just toxic and my liver cant handle all of it because thats what i feek like- like im being poisoned everyday. I know ppl are suffering in this world with so much worse so when i hear myself complain i get so irritated with myself but its hard to function when you feel this way everyday and everyone is looking at you like you have 3 heads because you look normal.

• Posted

They should offer you hrt as i was the same as you. The only downside is you may get a period every month but if it relieves all the madness of the menopause then bleeding once a month is well worth it in my eyes

• Posted

Dr said they wont offer me HRT until ive not had a period for a year! It totally sucks, I'm in the UK, whereabouts are you? Could it be a UK thing them being so anti HRT? I'd love to give it a go, I would rather have my periods back than feel like this all the time. Can i demand HRT lol?

• Posted

this makes me mad - I've been told this is all in my head many times because for me this all started at 39 - I'm almost 42 now, How can anyone think this is a helpful thing to say - like you're making up symptoms for fun?! last night I had to take off my night shirt in the middle of the night because it was so drenched in sweat - you could rinse the sweat of out of it sorry TMI but how can anyone say that is all in your head? today I've had the works - palpitations, nausea, trembling, anxiety although thankfully its eased off a lot now...I understand this is a normal process and some of us just suffer more than others, but a bit of understanding and advice would go a long way, hugs to you xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply ive had all the symptoms you've listed and more but as my periods are still monthly (although heavy one month and light the next) according to them im not in peri. I cried after i had visited the nurse. She made me feel so mad and upset.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply ive had all the symptoms you've listed and more but as my periods are still monthly (although heavy one month and light the next) according to them im not in peri. I cried after i had visited the nurse. She made me feel so mad and upset.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.