Too young for peri???

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been to see my practice nurse today and told that at 43 im too young for peri and my symptoms probably just in my head!!!!! What age has other people started peri?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't know the exact age, but I would say I started noticing changes as early as 35+. I am 47 now and 8 months period free.

The sheer ignorance of some health care workers is astonishing and dangerous!

• Posted

i agree with all the ladies here... menopause is normal 45-55 and peri can start years before. my last period was at 47, i started struggling with anxiety, stress, palpitations etc from about 45. doc wouldnt even hormone test me till 18 mths after last period, by which time i was a mess with panic attacks, palps, terrible anxiety. id gone to the docs many times with a list of symptoms asking could it all be meno related, to be met with a shrug and lets rule out various other nasty possibles, sending anxiety rocketing with every set of results! ecgs, mri brain scan, bloods, bowel cancer test (guess it was ibs???). my anxiety was thru the roof and i ended up on anti anxiety meds, beta blockers and occasional valium! hrt mightve helped but wasnt offered that! 3 yrs menopausal now, still on low dose pills and loads better but with anxiety still lurking. unless you see a doctor who's been through it, frankly i just don't think they get how bad it is! i take magnesium supplements, B12, omega 3, vit d. lots of people say magnesium helps. lots say sage helps night sweats. menopace worth a try. exercise/walking if you can, cbt/talk therapy for anxiety. good luck everyone, time to make life/ work changes, avoid toxic people who raise your stress levels and put yourself first more of the time. things do improve 😃

• Posted

Hi there,

The practice nurse should have asked if your mother, grandmother started the change early too.

I started perimenopause at 42ish getting symptoms which worsened over time and by 45 i hadn't had a period for 11 months and felt awful.

I'm now on HRT since approx a year ago and it's not suiting me very well but I am trying different regimes. I'm now 46.

My grandma went through the change at 36 and my mum at 40 so it does happen, until they do hormonal bloods they really should not write you off at face value. Even when they check your levels it may not show up but doesn't mean you're not peri... hormones change throughout the day.

Very difficult but my doctor says they go off symptoms more than bloods. I'd go back and talk to them again or someone else (?) if you're feeling it bad.

Hope you feel better or get help soon.

AJ. x

• Posted

In other conditions, I would say that you are young!

But I am only 32 years old and already perimenopausal but since I am still having regular cycles, I am considered as normal.

• Posted

Thats whats happening with me, getting all the symptoms but because im regular then i cannot be peri. Its so annoying i know my own body.

• Posted

No you're not too young , I'm 39 and my peri symptoms started about 7 months ago (38 at the time)... luckily my ob/gyn was wise enough to evaluate my symptoms and broke the news "change of life " is happening. I have experienced many peri symptoms, I can't wait for all of this to end and have my life back. but for now taking one day at a time and eat healthy, exercise, taking B complex. This forum helps my racing mind , glad I found the support here.

• Posted

Everyone is different and these stupid Doctors need to realize that. Too you for peri at 43 ? My Supervisor had her last period at 44.

• Posted

So did my mother. She did ovulate one time at 44 but she never had a period because she got pregnant with me!😂😂😂

They say go by when your mother went through menopause and that's when it'll happen to you. Not true. I was 51 when I stopped.

• Posted

I think many people start sweats etc alongside irregular periods in their early forties - I did and then by 45 my periods had vanished. Best to see your GP who is best placed to answer your symptoms. Good website called menopausematters (google it) offers great advice and recommended by my GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.