Tooth ache, taking amoxicillin for two days but pain is getting worse

Posted , 56 users are following.

ok I have bad teeth. I went finally to the dentist and he said I have an infection in my bone under my bad tooth. I have been referred for removal of the decayed tooth. They prescribed me antibiotics 500mg of amoxicillin three times a day but I can't sleep, eat, or really think. I am taking ibroprofen and cocodamol regularly. No effect really, I am using clove oil, not that it helps. Anyway I just need to know if this pain will stop anytime soon? 

I now have swelling on the inside of my mouth in the roof of my mouth, it hurts to touch. 

Should I go to a and e? Is there anything I can do? My dentist is not open till Monday now. He said the antibiotics should work over the weekend but I am scared I won't make it through the weekend!,!.

help!!!

7 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was driving 200 miles when my side of my face swelled up with toothack, I simply pulled over and chopped my head off, well I wanted to anyway.

I was given 3g Amoxicillin to take and it's a powder you add to water, as I picked up glass I dropped it on my toe and it smashed breaking my toe and cutting my feet. Thankfully that took my mind off the tooth pain.

Once I got a replacement dose 2 sachets was enough. 1 every 8 hours. I was in so much pain though I forgot to add water and just ate the packet.

• Posted

I have a toothache here and i drink lots of water and the weird think is that it helps me to sooth the pain.

i was prescribed amoxicillin and ratio lenoltec and vimovo 500mg and these work sometimes and i have been told its and infection in the upper left mole and its effecting the bone too so i am sometimes in pain with it and have tooth since september.

i am in canada and its costs too much to get it out over here and was only meant to be here for a really short holiday and well got a boyfriend here so i stay until my holiday visa is up which is in less then 2 weeks now.

the best thing to do is if its really that bad go to A&E as it can cause u blood poising !!

• Posted

Sarah.

I could have written what you just did.  I am on my 2nd round of antibiotics because I'm not convinced it's gone away (an infection). 

I know the feeling of not being able to make it through the weekend or even the day.  It all started out so simply.  Little did I know that it would develop into such intense pain that was just too unbearable.

I was waiting for a cap to put on an implant - when the screw fell out of that tooth. I was able to save it and my dentist screwed it back in with no problem except he said, you might feel a little pain after the numbing wears off because the tissue has already begun to grow back over the opening.

The was an understatement.  It has been almost 2 weeks, and I had to have the implant removed, stiched and given antibiotics.  The pain is still there; it's just different.  Now, I have this chronic throbbing toothache in the area where it's trying to heal.  According to my periodontist, I just have to let the healing take its course (easy for him to say).

I've been taking ibuprofen and Norco every 4 hours or so.  I try and stretch it out, but I just can't.  I have taken way to many ibuprofen and now Norco and still have residual pain.  He said it may take 4-6 weeks for the pain to go away.  That's torture!!!

• Posted

I am on my second round of antibiotics (amoxicillin) because even though the swelling went down on my check area, there is still pain in the area where the implant had to be pulled and stitched up.

I asked for the very one you mentioned...but he did not think it necessary to even continue taking them because the infection itself is gone; he did say that wounds such as this after implant removal can take as long as 4-5 weeks to calm down.

So, I'm guessing that the infection can be gone, but while healing there still can be pain.  I'm so tired of being in pain on any level.  It went to intolerable to I don't know what adjective to use anymore.

Ibuprofen definitely helps, but I've been taking more than I should; I'd do anything to get relief from the pain because I can't stand it.  I waited 6 hours yesterday, and the throbbing begun again until I could not longer put it off.

I did ask for Augmentin after doing research, but I'm not sure he wouldn't give it to me.  He feels the 'infection' is gone, but the pain from healing is still bothering me.

• Posted

I've had constant pain from my infected abscess for days,

It's driving me mad.

I would much prefer labour over toothache!

Trying to get an appointment seems impossible.

Hopefully amoxicillin starts kicking in.

• Posted

Post treatment - use wooden tooth picks to massage your gums and strengthen them between your teeth and do this four times a day. Gently massage. It really really helps to prevent problems if your gums are in great condition. Also cut your sugar and fizzy drinks out of your diet. If you have treats brush after with electric tooth brush. Gum health is vital to whole health. Your mouth is the portway to your digestive system. If your mouth is diseased your body’s other systems will be getting affected. Perhaps it’s a warning. After my fifth root filling I took the hint. But why does it take so long for us to listen to our bodies. 
  • Posted

If you can tolerate it try slightly crunching a clove to release the oil and just pop the clove down where the damage is for ten or fifteen mins. Check if this counteracts or affects any meds you have to take first. The other thing that helped my pain was tapping therapy. EFT.   I  was one  big cynic when someone suggested this and how it stopped the pain I have no idea. 

Ultimately root canals are effective when done exceptionally well but when done badly they are not good for your gums or your health. In uk we have the NHS but some NHS dentists force you to have them done privately. It’s now £800 plus. Who but the wealthy can afford that. 

• Posted

I have discovered many miraculous remedies in homeopathy. One of these is Hepar Sulph 30c. I works magically on tooth abcesses. You can take it along side your other medicines. You will need to get it in no30 pills. Take it every 15 minutes and increase time with improvement in condition.
  • Posted

am going through the samething right now😥😥😥

• Posted

in serious pain with this tooth now

I had a hole at the back of my front tooth dentist filled it had none stop sensitivity so 2 weeks

after in serious pain I was so went my after being in extreme pain over the weekend couldn't even get an emergency appointment she gave me metrodonizole anti biotics 400mg 3 a day for 5 days to be taken 8 hours apart. I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen not helping at all I'm on 3rd day of tabs and feel like I'm getting nowhere it's so painful the dentist said if it dosnt stop she will do a root canal (ohno) I'm terrified I've had one before and the pain was crazy plus the thought of another capped tooth especially at the front of my mouth is just not a thought I want I think they look to obviously fake when will the pain ease I'm so down right now with all the pain over the last week I'm a full time carer to my husband and have 3 children I dont have time to feel like rubbish 😦

• Posted

hi with coronavirus you don't need to take ibuprofen it can make things worse with coronavirus,

• Posted

Put clove oil around the infected tooth. It will help with the pain but its best not to use clove oil too much.

• Edited

I had a horrible toothache a couple days ago and started taking amoxicillin....woke up the next morning with no more tooth pain but jaw was very swollen.....2 days later....still no more tooth pain but jaw is still swollen and I've been taken amoxicillin as perscribed......getten a bit concerned here🥺

• Posted

hey, i basically could've written this myself... I've been on amoxicillin for two days and all that's happened is my jaw hurts more? painkillers don't touch the pain at all and i can barely swallow... dentist was treating me like i was crazy because i came to him CRYING and writhing because of the pain (I'm 20 and he seemed very unimpressed)

honestly i hope we start to feel better soon because this is honestly killing me... i have a 7 month old who constantly wants me at her side and i can barely breathe, let alone smile and interact with her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.