Tooth ache, taking amoxicillin for two days but pain is getting worse

Posted , 56 users are following.

ok I have bad teeth. I went finally to the dentist and he said I have an infection in my bone under my bad tooth. I have been referred for removal of the decayed tooth. They prescribed me antibiotics 500mg of amoxicillin three times a day but I can't sleep, eat, or really think. I am taking ibroprofen and cocodamol regularly. No effect really, I am using clove oil, not that it helps. Anyway I just need to know if this pain will stop anytime soon? 

I now have swelling on the inside of my mouth in the roof of my mouth, it hurts to touch. 

Should I go to a and e? Is there anything I can do? My dentist is not open till Monday now. He said the antibiotics should work over the weekend but I am scared I won't make it through the weekend!,!.

help!!!

7 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

So here i am. Saturday nignt. England lost to france at the world cup. Some co-codamol got me through. I broke a bit of my back tooth few months ago. All of a sudden the pain kicked in.

Went dentist they re did the filling and gave me Amoxicillin. Not sure if i took it wrong just said take 3 500mg evenly out through the day. Maybe i spread them out to long..

This has no effect and i've been in agony! got emergency root canal done. As soon as the numbness wore of the pain came back with a vengeance. Phoned them up straight after said carry on taking pain killers and the antibiotics.

Just worried its not caused issues to my other teeth. Had a private xray done a year ago and some recent fillings were leaky maybe they gotten worse. Just seems like the quality of care under the nhs is not as good any more.

At first i could manage with 1 200mg ibuprofen every 4 hours and a paracetamol every 3 hours now that don't seem effective.

Just waiting till Monday. while the pains feels

like its spread across other teeth. In a short few days its put my whole life on pause and completely paralysed me.

• Edited

I had my wisdom teeth out & my gums & jaw took a while to heal & I'm going through the same thing the girl who posted 6 yrs ago went through, right now too.. Ouch!

started to have pain in tooth at back of my teeth, got really bad had a night of really bad pain that cocodamol & ibuprofen didn't help stop. Phoned dentist 1st thing Monday morning only to be told i couldn't get appointment til 2:30pm the next day! has a night of agony had to ring 111 & nearly drive myself to A&E as the pain was so bad. 111 gave me phone number for local emergency dentist who told me there no dentists available through their service! But advised me to ring dentist to demand to be seen, which i did & was given an earlier appointment. 10:30am was so relieved to be seen! Dentist said I needed a root canal but would have to be done later in the month but prescribed antibiotics. Started taking them right away but the pain that day was horrendous so horrendous i had to ring 111 again as I was in so MUCH pain! They said the antibiotics would kick in soon but it couldn't happen quick enough! All of a sudden the pain stopped! I was so relieved! Just to be out of pain! But then my jaw area got rock hard & now my face has swollen & can hardly open my mouth.. but I'm not in pain! Thankfully! Got a doctors appointment that was already made for something else, so hoping he/she can check my mouth etc today to reassure me its all ok! i can vouch toothache/infection is the worst pain ever! Antibiotics are miracle medicine! They helped fight the infection i had.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.