Total Ankle Replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello all, I would like any input from those of you who, have had a total ankle replacement. My STAR is coming up on Sept. 16th. Any info on your journey & recovery would be greatly appreciated please, please, please! Thank

Nervous pre-op lady in waiting

0 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am having tar on Sept 6th im a nervous wreck as well. Although I thought I was getting the star, but was told it is the infiniti implant. Will let you know how it goes next week.
  • Posted

I had mine back in Jan.It is a pretty painful first night after the surgery but after that the pain isn't to bad don't try to hurry anything do what doc says and be patient

• Posted

Hey Tim, Thanks. Wondering if that's why you stay in the hospital for 2 days. Do they heavily medicate due to the pain? How is your ankle & walking these days. What kind of cast do you have on foot after surgery. Just so many questions. Hope you don't mind then.

• Posted

Well I didn't have a cast on it was all wrapped up with ace bandages and wore a walking boot after two weeks. As for pain I am not going to lie to you the first night was ruff I had a lot of morohine but it didn't stop all the pain but who knows maybe I am hat a sissy lol. Well as for walking I felt great after like three weeks but something went wrong with my new ankle so now I can't walk without a lot of pain . And I have to have another surgery

• Posted

What happen to your ankle?why did you have to have more surgery after three weeks?
    • Posted

No it wasn't three weeks it was 8 months after. The top of the new ankle seems to have shifted down by 5 degrees well that's what doc said anyway it's been quite a struggle

• Posted

I gotcha...sorry to hear you are still having a problems. What implant did you get?

My surgery is coming up the day after labor day. I am having the infinity implant in Tn.

• Posted

Oh wow Tim, sorry to hear you have to go through more surgery. Is that a common occurance for the implant to shift. So now what do they have to do? Do you get a whole new ankle or move the old one back in place. Will there be external or internal hardware to hold it better? Good luck Tim & keep us posted. When is your next surgery scheduled for. What implant did they use or will use ? Hope you have better luck this time around.

Weezer

• Posted

Well next surgery will be next month sometime. See not only did ankle go bad but I got fired for missing to much time and as that Also means I lost my insurance so am waiting on cobra to kick in. I will tell u this surgery was a big mistake for me, but that's just me I am sure your will go flawlessly

• Posted

Hi Mary, Thinking of you. Wishing you good luck on your ankle replacement. Let me know how it went & how your recovery goes. I will be 10 days behind you. It would be nice to support each other & compare notes. I am 60 .

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Mary, I am thinking of you. Sending positive thoughts you way for a stress free recovery that goes well. Hope to talk when you're able.

Weezer

• Posted

Surgery went very well. Removed plateso and screws and put infinity ankle in place. I got a nerve block that lasted till today. Now I have alot of pain. The meds were not string enough. But I'm getting by. It's only my second day. I'm home..

• Posted

Hey Mary glad to hear u are feeling ok hope all goes great for u and your recovery I am also in my 50s so I know your pain lol
    • Posted

Tim. I am so sorry to read your posts. Based on my experience so far- (not ankle replacement, but a bad tib&fib 7 months ago) I can imagine the pain that you've had from original injury to post op to misalignment must be wearing away at you.  And the mental anguish is probably very heavy as well. I hope you have at least one person with whom you can cry, curse, complain, fret, and vent. This is impossible to do alone. I hope you continue to use this forum as you wait for next surgery and through post op. My surgeon told me my case was one of worst he's seen, so someday an ankle replacement may be in my future. So, you will be helping people as you log your "process." Keep on keepin on. When all else fails, watch a Bill Murray movie(I recommend WhatAboutBob).

• Posted

Thanks Jen that was really nice of you to say! I do love Bill Murray lol. I am really not the kind of person that wants anyone to know how much pain I am in everyone has there own stuff to deal with . I am sorry to here about your ankle problem it sucks to have a bad ankle lol. Try to avoid replacement if you can. Ps I Lile caddyshack
    • Posted

Hi Tim!

I feel very badly for you. I am six months post op and my doctor tells me last Friday that my ankle is frozen and I need a MUA. 

This is after four months of PT. I feel this surgery is the biggest mistake I ever made as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.