Total Ankle Replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello all, I would like any input from those of you who, have had a total ankle replacement. My STAR is coming up on Sept. 16th. Any info on your journey & recovery would be greatly appreciated please, please, please! Thank

Nervous pre-op lady in waiting

0 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I feel your pain weezer I am scheduled for september 14th. Have been out of work since june 9th waiting. I am having the INBONE Prophacy system hope all goes well with your surgery
    • Posted

Hi Elwood, I hope all goes well for you. We can compare notes , progress & support each other. How many days must you stay in hospital after your replacement? Good luck will be thinking positive thoughts.

Weezer

• Posted

HI weeper. They are saying one day if all goes well. My surgery is early in the mornin so over night is what there thinking. Not sure I believe that but we will see lol. We can keep each other updated. Will be thinking positive thoughts also. I'm 58 and dr was thinking I was a little young but he has not been walking around for years in life changing pain. Good luck keep in touch

• Posted

Sorry bout the name spelling I hate spell check
    • Posted

Lol! I know that spell check!! My surgery is early too. I was told 1-2 days in case of infection. I hope my age of 60 doesn't affect my recovery. I wish you well in your surgery & and a good recovery without too much pain or complications!

Good Luck 🍀 Elwood & chat soon

• Posted

I just had total able on Sept 6,I'm home now. Surgery went well. Make sure they send you home with good pain meds. I'm 56.the meds were not strong enough. I've sent my husband back to drs to get more meds. Take care

• Posted

Hi Mary. What type of pain meds do they send ya home with if you don't mind me asking. If you don't want to say I understand that also. I have my TAR on September 14th

• Posted

Hi Mary!

So good to hear the surgery went well. I've been thinking about you. What implant did you get again? So now you're in recovery phase. Leg elevated & fighting through the pain. How long with the elevation . Did you come out surgery well- like the anthesthesia? R u in a cast or the fat heavy ace wrap?

I'm still worried about my STAR. I don't come out of the sedation well. For the pain, I guess I can take it, if it's anything like my previous op. Still in pain & lwb from that.

So when do you see the doc again? Hope recovery through the pain eventually eases up & more meds help.. Been feeling happy & sad about this STAR thing. Emotions & worry are getting to me. Gotta get in a better mindframe. Thank you for letting me know that things went well. Good positive reports are helpful to hear. Continued healing.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Elwood here off to surgery in the mornin have to be at hospital at 6:30 for my TAR. Anxiety level rather high. Finally got an answer they are keeping me till Saturday Best of luck to ya with your TAR
    • Posted

Oh elwood!....I wish you good luck! I will send prayers & positive thoughts for your surgery today & your hospital stay. When you're able keep me posted. What state do you live in?

Think positive & know their is a healing end in sight! You'll be good. I'm stressed too. That's why I took a break from the forum.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. No reason to be nervous they took very good care of me and put my mind at ease. Nurses in recovery were great. So everything will be alright. One thing if your in pain tell them don't hesitate. Had surgery on Wednesday and going home tomorrow which is Friday. Lucked out and have in home therapy I live in upstate New York had surgery in Syracuse best of luck you will do fine Weezer!!!

• Posted

Hi Elwood, Happy to hear surgery went well & u got good care. Pt at home sounds nice. Thanks for letting me know the tip about the pain meds. Continued progress in pt & ankle healing.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer hope all went well with your surgery. They kept me till Saturday I had a very hard time getting the pain under control. I think just being home is the best therapy. I don't do well with hospital beds lol. I ha therapy the day after and have been doing a lot of leg lifts and wiggling my toes seems to help a lot. Best of luck Weezer u will do fine "POSITIVE ATTITUDE"

• Posted

Hi elwood, I came home yesterday pm. My pain is under control. I had a nerve block before surgery, which is keeping the pain down so much more. I left with 20mg of oxcy. The itch ,burn & neaseau is more annoying than the pain.

So far, so good! Nothing like being home though to help u progress further. Watching football & relaxing is the best!!!

Continued healing. ! I can't believe your moving around & doing pt stuff already! I can't do any of that yet for at least 2 weeks till I see doc for follow up care .

I'll keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi Weezer hope all is well with you. Have been home since Saturday and having a very hard time with the pain and sleeping is almost out of the question. I hope your having a better time with the pain Than I am. Still keeping positive thoughts just hard at times let me know how you are doing please. Take care and quick recovery
    • Posted

Hello Elwood & mary4013,

Its been almost 7 days since star. All going ok, except today when I got up to transfer from bed to pottey seat, & I fell on surgical left ankle. I heard & felt a crunch when i worked myself out fall position. See the Dr. on Wed. the 28th. I called but nobody called as of yet. Hurts like crazy! Still on same meds!

Thanks for asking -

Weezer

• Posted

Vary sorry to here u fell. My pain has been terrible but seems to be improving now. My biggest problem now is it is really starting to itch I can't win lol. Any ideas on how to stop it from itching driving me crazy. Really hope u didn't mess anything up Weezer prayers go out to ya.

• Posted

Ouch..so sorry to hear you fell. I feel that first week on my carpet,but I made sure I held my bad foot up.bruised my hand. But I'm doing good. I have a great doctor...no problems at all. I have the infinity replacement. Be careful,hope Dr app't goes well.

• Posted

Hey Mary & elwood,

Happy to hear its going well. Hope to report that soon myself. Need upcoming prayers for Oct.28th, when See the Dr. after the fall.

In need of prayers

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. I guess I got lucky didn't have any of the burning or neauseau but lots of pain they sent me home with very low dose oxy 5mg dosnt work very well. The pain at night has been terrible won't let me sleep but there has to be something. Overall very pleased with results so far. I go back to dr tomorrow to get bandages off and staples removed see what it looks like lol. Continued healing I will keep you posted take care

• Posted

Hi elwood, sorry to hear your pain is so bad at night. I was sent home with the same dose, except told me to take 2pills. Pain ok at night. I also take my melatoin 10 mg substained release. Maybe that's what gets me through....Idk for sure, but it seems to work for me. I was also given something to take away the itching caused by oxy. I have Dr Dr apt.apt.at 1. Let you know how it is healing & if I did any major damage when I fell. Take care & continue healing mary4013 & elwood

• Posted

HI Weezer. I get bandage off tomorrow excited to see how it is healing. Today is the best pain day I have had hope it lasts all night lol. I will let you know how appointment goes. I sure hope u didn't do any damage when u fell we have gone through enough to have any more put on us. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Just got back from Syracuse bandage and stitches removed hard cast for two weeks then boot. Dr said that it looks excellent big relief. He said the reason for the pain is that my bones are extremely hard and he really had to pound the prostecise into place. Very excited about results this far. Good luck on your next appointment hope u didn't damage when you fell. Keep in touch

• Posted

Hi elwood,

Doc said surgery went well, fall didn't seem to change anything. Have to keep stiches in an extra week. In My old boot with it angled at 10 all around. Not much pain at all. Riding scooter is not happening yet because of bone below knee has stiches that where taken out but & the area is tender as scoot around. So giving it a rest. Back to bed & wheelchair for another week. How are you doing? I s the pain calming down?

Take care weezer

• Posted

Hi mary4013,

Just letting you know how my Dr. Apt. Went. I didn't do any damage from the fall after suregy that he could see. So he said everything is going well. My stiches have to stay in 1 more week, got out of fat ace bandage & now wear my boot at a 10 degree angle. That kinda hurts. Pain under control though. I also applied for a temporary handicapped plaque for car, for when I'm able to drive. How are things going for you? Hows your ankle progress & pain

Take care weezer

• Posted

I sent you a msg but sometimes dosnt seem like they make it. Dr said I was having the pain because he said I have very hard bones and he really had to pound on the prostecise to get it in so that made me feel better. Said healing very well so hard cast for 2 weeks then boot and partial weight bearing. I'm using crutches I have a lot of experience with them so more comfortable for me lol. Very glad to hear your fall didn't hurt anything and sounds like your doing good awesome. Dr did cut my Achilles in 4 spots to give me more range in motion up and down. Pain is almost gone now for some reason but not complaining Continued healing and keep in touch

• Posted

In doing good. Glad you are to.still not putting any weight on foot.I at my bit of and on. If in just laying around at home I keep it off. My scar looks great.I put neosporin on it. It's fading. Just using my knee walker all the time.

• Posted

Hi Mary, im doing good in my mind. I have to go to Dr. This Wed. He will take out star stiches. I should still be in air cast I think & still non weight bearing.

Hope your healing is going well.

I'll keep in touch.

• Posted

Hello elwood.. So good to hear you pain has eased up. All the hammering would make my bones feel it to. I go to doc Wed to get my star stiches out. Wish me luck. After that I 'll be following the standard protocol- non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks. In an air cast. Just a waiting game. & keeping yourself busy. I'm still using my wheelchair, cause my knee scooter Hurts where they drilled a little. Time will fix that. Happy healing & keep you posted. Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Good luck at the dr Wednesday I'm sure everything is going to look great. I've been having cabin fever I went and rode around the golf course Sunday with my buddies had a great time. Leg swelled but well worth getting out lol. Best of luck let me know how you made out. My next appointment is October 12th

• Posted

I got out this weekend to on my knee walker. Wore me out. Made my good knee hurt...but being out is so much better than laying around bored in the house.and the weather in Nashville was beautiful...glad your doing well.
    • Posted

Hi Mary. Glad to here u got out some. It sure makes ya feel better getting some fresh air. I haven't tryed one of the knee scooters. I here a lot of good things about them. I guess I'm old school or just stubborn I still use the ok crutches lol. Continued healing

• Posted

Hi elwood, Dr Apt on Wed went well. All good. Got stiches out & in 2 weeks will start weight bearing in boot. Climbed down 2 front steps & got out with knee scooter. Set up my pt schedule did a little shopping with electric cart. People are so helpful when asked. Just got so bored in house using wheelchair & scooter. L knee & leg still swollen from star. I limit my outings to a few hours because I get tired. So my boot angle was changed to flat foot. Pain from time to time. Not to bad. What kind of boot do u wear? Happy to hear you got out to drive around the golf course. Must have felt wonderful. We're all feeling the same cabin fever lol! Good luck on Oct. 12th. When do u start pt? Let me know your progress. Enjoy your outings & continued healing.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Awesome to here dr appt went so well. I'm dying to go to Walmart and hop on an electric scooter lol. Glad to see your getting out no better therapy. I get out of my cast Tuesday and I believe I'm going into a regular walking boot I have a new one and they told me to bring it. They said partial weight bearing so I guess I will still have to use my crutches. I'm going out to the golf course with the boys Sunday. Gonna have to dress warm only gonna be 45 when we go out lol. I will give ya update after the 12th. Again congrats and continued healing

• Posted

Hi elwood, you're a quick responder! I asked the cart workers to bring over to my handicapped spot an electric scooter & they did! Very helpful. I'm kinda bad at using them, even though I'm a good driver. I knocked down clothing racks, bumped into poles in frezzer section. I take the corners to fast & boom! It's done! Best part was in the cat food section & knocked over a very tall display of plastic food containers...oops they shouldn't be at end of isle so high. Anyway, get out & have fun with the Wal-Mart scooter. Be safe & don't take anything down. Where do live, that it's gonna be that chilly on the golf course? Well let me know how the boot goes & good luck with it &your apt. Time to get out of bed & troll the house on my knee scooter. Think I'm gonna make some soup. Its getting into the cool fall weather. Have a happy day.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. I can't stop laughing that's just too funny. Just sitting here watching tv if you can imagine so my phone is right here with me makes it easy to respond. I'm a Yankee I live just outside of Rochester NY. Moved back here 10 years ago after my mother passed. I lived in NC for 17 years in Gastonia. What part of the country do you live in. Take care and have a great weekend.

• Posted

Glad your getting to go to a boot. I have been putting a little weight on my boot, doesn't really hurt to bad, but ankle swells. I did go to Walmart and drive the scooter chair. Great fun...Haha doesn't take a lot to make us happy...Have a great weekend..

• Posted

Hi Mary. You and Weezer are way ahead of me haven't driven the scooter yet gotta get to Walmart this weekend lol. Continued healing

• Posted

Oh boy, still hanging out on pull out sofa bed in family room, which faces kitchen, so now I'm getting hugry. Anyway , we lived in toms river. Nj, till my hubby's job got relocated to Aberdeen proving ground in maryland. Been here 5 years & still not really liking rural Cecil county. In nj I was close to everything! Too much shopping! Now here I look out my morning room window a & see cows, hear goats, chicken , turkeys. It's nice at times & relaxing. Most neighbors work, cause it's a young neighhood, with lots of little kids playing in the community playground. The leaves must be changing quickly . Must be pretty ride on the golf course. Which place did you like living better?

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Just getting back from local grocery store and dollar store. Needed coffee and cauliflower what a combo. I take a plastic grocery bag with me and put stuff in it then take to counter. One way to get exercise with my crutches lol. NC was very nice winters were great quite hot in the summer. But as u can tell I'm addicted to golf so was great for that. I was born and raised here in NY so just came back to my roots. The leaves really aren't changing much yet haven't had a good freeze but I'm sure it will be very nice when they do. You got me thinking bout food now so I will yell at ya later.

• Posted

Hi elwood, got to thinking I need to be more productive, so climbed my steps, did some laundry , bathed my surgical leg, cleaned upstairs, climbed down with tons of stuff. Had to rest. Geez, just when you get the urge to do something . so I relaxed & started a puzzle. Now what to make for dinner that doesn't require to much standing on leg or scooter. I should look up crockpot cooking.

Anyway, busy day, almost time for bed.. Lol, jk . very creative way to shop. I rigged a small baggie to side of wheelchair to hold my phone. Also bought a plastic kids bike basket & zipped tied it to front to hold things in my travels. Someone should write a book entitled "cheap & creative ways to carry & make things when recovering from surgeries.

Well ttyl have a good night

• Posted

Hi Weezer. It sure makes ya feel good to get up and do something. Crock pot cooking is awesome and very simple you will love it I cook all the time one of my hobbies. I like your idea of the book lol my wife. And I are getting outta the house for a while today going to have a beer with our friend for his birthday. Not a big drinker but will be good to get out for a while. Have a good weekend yell at ya later
    • Posted

Hi elwood, taking it easy today. Had to much pain all night from yesterday. Putting zims max arnice roll on leg for swelling. (Wal-Mart find). Have fun at the party. Found a cauliflower tortilla recipe on fb. Since you like to cook. I'm gonna try it to. Good rainy day to read my book "library of souls" & elevate foot.

Stay well & safe & have a fun weekend!

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Got my cast off yesterday and dr says everything looks great. So I'm in a walking boot now walking with my crutches with limited weight. Very very stiff got 3 weeks to get it moving before pt. dr said pt is torcher lol. But feels awesome to be out of the cast. Best of luck with your next appt keep in touch and let me know how it goes. Continued healing!!!

• Posted

Hi elwood, so happy to hear you got that heavy cast off! So now you have to get that foot moving in the boot. (just light weight bearing right?)

We're all in about the same place now. Getting ourselves ready for pt. My pt starts Oct. 17th. I'm getting my boot ready now! Gave it a bath in tub. Now it's in the dryer on air dry for an hour. Gotta climb upstairs & go get it in a bit.

Continued healing & so nice to hear from you. Its weird with my foot out of boot. My brain told my foot to bend & it did not sad

My pt starts with weight bearing in boot.

Good luck to all of us .

Weezer

• Posted

HI Weezer. Dr told me that I can put as much weight on it as I can handle so yesterday I used both crutches very stiff today I am walking with just one crutch pushing it. I don't think I could do it if it wasn't in boot lol. Been eating a lot of protein very good to help in the healing process. Just hope I'm not overdoing it lol. I'm sure it will let me know. Good hearing from ya. Continued healing to all of us

• Posted

So glad your in a boot now. Aren't they wonderful. Can't really feel to much. I've been weight baring some with crutches is not to bad,although at the end of the day for is a swelled up and mad. Go to dr Oct 17. Glad we are all getting there.....

• Posted

Really elwood- lots of protein hmmm....I think I can do that, as long as it's not veggies! Good healing & luck with weight bearing. I'll let u know how my 1st pt goes.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Had to Ortho Drs tell me that so I will eat 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast lunch I will eat can of solid white albacore tuna in water plain or can of chicken breast also oinkos yogurt for beakfast. Lots of protein. Big can of chicken plain is over 60 proteins hard to eat not mixing with mayo but get used to it lol but really seems to help healing process. Nice chatting with ya continued healing
    • Posted

Really no mayo, guess u can always use plain yogurt. (even more protein)

My boot cleaned up great & came out dry on cool air cycle- no damage done. So if you're boots need a clean !!

Weezer

• Posted

Hi mary4013,

So happy to hear you can bear a little weight in boot. Does it hurt? How much swelling & pain at end of day? How do you relieve the pain & swelling? Is that part of the healing process. So on the day you go to Dr. I start pt. Maybe you'll get your pt orders that day too. We can all compare pt stories.

Have a happy day free of pain.

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. This is my 5th attempt to send you a msg screen keeps going blank on me. You can use mayo and cheese makes it taste better I'm diabetic so I keep eye on carbs. I'm on one crutch again today pushing it and so far feels great. Glad washing boot works. Looks like we all are making good progress. Let me no how pt goes continued healing to all

• Posted

Hi elwood,

Good to hear you on your 1 crutch. You seem to be making good progress on your own. Do you swell or hurt at end of day from pushing it. Im still nwb & just hanging in bed again. Yesterday I pushed it with crawling upstairs. Can't wait to see what my 1st pt torture will be. Worried I'll mess my new ankle up with pt & weight, but that's just silly worry. I know I can't do that! I have some slight pain today. Hoping to get out a bit this weekend. Been couped up several days & need a change of scene.

Have a pain free day & stay safe with that 1 crutch. Don't over due it! But bet your wife tells you that everyday!

Weezer

• Posted

HI Weezer called my dr this mornin with concerns that I might be overdoing it. He told me no. He said as long as it dosnt hurt bad to go for it. Asked about no crutches he said as long as I feel comfortable with it go for to. Woo hoo I still ice it down 2 times a day though so I'm going to keep pushing on. Not much swelling at night and pain is basically non existent Good luck the 17th let me know. Continued healing to all of us. Have a great weekend talk to a later

• Posted

Great to hear! Most docs don't keep saying go for it! He is a very confident doc in his work & you! So nice to hear you can do it. You inspired me to get moving today!

Thanks elwood!

• Posted

It really doesn't hurt when in walking on it,I think that's because the boot is so padded. But at the end of the day it is very swelled up and it kIndah aches.I take a mild pain pill tramadol.and rub some compounding cream on it that's for pain. And swelling is gone in the morning.

• Posted

So you can walk on it around house. In afraid to get without pt orders. How long do you stand & walk around. Just a few minutes or an hour? I've cheated & put just a little weight on when reaching for things etc... I still hurt dam it! I wish I could walk with boot on. Feeling frustrated!!! I nerdy to see some progress!

Just venting-weezer

• Posted

HI Weezer. Question does your foot get sore where your toes connect to your foot. Only spot that seems to get real sore. Best of luck at pt the 17th. Continued healing to all
    • Posted

Oh yes! I have two screws below big toe. Still healing from my 4 surgeries from June 2nd. One of the 4 done at same time was bunion correction. So the top of my foot is still swollen, as well as the inside, outside & heal.

Why do u think that's happening to you? Is it discolored or anything? Did u do too much? I'm sure if it continues, you'll call the doc.

What kind of pain are you getting there? Is it constant, when does it come? I hope it stops.

Stay well. & keep on healing

Weezer

• Posted

Hi Weezer. I've been having trouble with my responses page keeps going blank. It really sounds like you have been through hell with your foot besr wishes with that. I get the slight pain and stiffness where my toes connect to foot. Feels like the cast is still on when I try to bend my toes. Kinda funny seems like all of us experience different things with our foot. I was on it almost all day yesterday and putting full weight on t around the house ankle felt great slight swelling but no pain there just my toes. I'm really glad I inspired you yesterday we have to keep doing that for all of us that are sharing this wonderfull experience lol. A little stiff today but I'm gonna keep pushing it gotya get it moving before pt starts. I hope we all keep experiecing possitive progress with our replacements. Keep moving and have a great weekend. And yes if I start having anything negative I will contact Dr

• Posted

Good morning elwood,

Hope you enjoyed this nice weekend pain free. My pt starts on Oct. 18. Should be interesting & hopefully not to much pain. Going pretty good. When I get out of house, it lifts my spirits. Walmart always gives me a good laugh on the scooter with my teen daughter. Always something to knock over!

Anyway, I hope you doing good putting weight on foot & that crazy for pain settles. I'll keep you posted on pt adventures.

Happy healing today! Stay Ankle strong!

Weezer

• Posted

Crazy Auto correct.... Toe pain 👣

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Good luck with your pt tomorrow hope all goes well.Not a.great.day today very damp and rainy sure can feel it in my. Ankle. Lots of ice today . Gonna be 80 tomorrow I'm sure will be. A.much better day lol. Again good luck tomorrow. Keep me posted. Continied healing for all

• Posted

Hi elwood,

I'm sure you'll have better day tomorrow. I bet we'll all feel that rainy day damp pain. I just finished my elevation & ice. Did too much & stressed, reached, & put too much weight on foot. Let u know how pt goes. Have a fun celebration tomorrow! Keep healing & moving!

Weezer

• Posted

Happy 80th Birthday today Elwood 🎂 Hope you have a fun celebration with those you love.

Weezer

• Posted

Elwood

I am having the same prophecy inbone done next month.May I ask how are you doing?

• Posted

The fist week was very painful. Now I'm eight more week in, and my foot is still very swollen and it's extremely uncomfortable to leave my foot down. It turns very dark and my toes feel numb and tingly. I can feel the part in my ankle and will be getting an X-ray on Wednesday to see if that's in fact the case. My doctor is telling me that I'm feeling muscle and ligaments. I was told at last weeks visit to start walking in the boot, but the boot is very uncomfortable. Had I known the downtime for this operation, I would have never done it. My doctor told me I would be walking in a boot in three weeks, I'm now going on 9 weeks. I will say, I have no pain in my ankle. Good luck to you. 

Every patient is different, so you may heal quicker. If the end result is no pain and no discomfort, then it will have been worth the time and frustration. 

• Posted

Hey Mary so how's the ankle doing u still on this site or r u out jogging now lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.