Total Ankle Replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello all, I would like any input from those of you who, have had a total ankle replacement. My STAR is coming up on Sept. 16th. Any info on your journey & recovery would be greatly appreciated please, please, please! Thank

Nervous pre-op lady in waiting

0 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Two weeks out from my surgery,healing is going great. Got stitches out and was moved to air cast. Not much pain. Feeling good. Wish I had done this a long time ago. Still non with baring for 4 more weeks. Stay p ositive.
    • Posted

That's excellent hope u stay on track and don't do to much just take it as easy as you can get all the help from your people do not turn down help lol

• Posted

So Mary how are you doin? Haven't heard from you in awhile

• Posted

I'm doing great. Not much pain. Healing is going good. Go back to dr Oct 17.not putting any weight on it,using knee walker everywhere I go. Absolutely love it..

• Posted

Yeah I loved my knee scooter looks like in two weeks I will be getting back together with it lol . Not looking forward to that though
    • Posted

Heck yeah it is and my two year old grandson loves riding on it with me lol
    • Posted

Hi Mary, all went well at Wed Dr. Apt. Got my stiches out & said they don't see any additional damage at this time. Yay me!! So happy to hear. Given a script to start pt in a weeks. Full weight bearing in boot 1st. Dr changed my boot angle to flat walking foot in prep for pt. Ouch sometimes! Hard to sleep with boot on, but pushing through. Got bored & between wheelchair,knee scooter & kneeling garden pad, got down my 2 from steps & got to car. Enjoyed my little shopping adventure with help from strangers. Even went & scheduled my pt. After that I was done. My left leg swollen & where they put a hole in knee bone for brace during surgery, started to hurt so that was the end of my outing. My knee scooter can only be used for short times ,till swelling goes down. Foam & fuzzy cover do help. So when do you start pt Mary? Your recovery sounds to be going well. It is so nice to get out & enjoy fall weather. Keep me posted on your progress.

Weezer from MD

• Posted

HI Weezer just checking to see how your getting along hope all is well with you. My pain is much better just dealing with some swelling had foot down to long. No complaints take care and continued healing
  • Posted

That all sounds gret. I am so happy for you. I don't return to doctor till Oct 17th. Hopefully then I will follow suit. Otherwise,  I am just waiting.

• Posted

Hi Weezer. Its not my birthday today.lol.I meant 80 degrees. But thanks for the birthday wishes. Continued healing talk too later
    • Posted

Hi elwood,

Sorry i aged you forward 22 years! Lol Hope you having a better, day since the temp is 80! Pt was pretty good. I actually put full weight on both feet (boot on of course to start with) looking forward to working hard at home & in pt.

Gonna get strong & loose the knee scooter

Eventually!

Weezer

• Posted

I to went to 6 weeks Dr appointment,he said I was allowed to put full weight with boot on,to be cautious of skin outside. If swells or hurts to stay off.I have began driving some and putting some weight on. My incision is still a little red. But doesn't bother me to mich to walk on.

• Posted

Hi mary4013,

So nice to hear you had a good 6 week follow up apt. You can join the weight bearing club now! Did you get pt orders yet?

The doc is so right about swelling at end of day. I also have the tender red new skin & I scratched it & it oozed a little. Happy to hear you can drive & get out.

Continued healing & happy days

Weezer

• Posted

No problem orders yet. Just wants me to walk on it.
    • Posted

Hi Mary. Congratulations on full weight bearing I'm sure it feels good to be driving and walking. Best of luck and continuedhealing to all. Keep up the positive thinking

• Posted

Hi mary4013

How does walking on it feel. Do u use any kind of support. We all got different wb orders. Going to be Interesting to follow the progress we all make!

We can do it! Happy healing days ahead!👣

Weezer

• Posted

It's not to bad. I have been using my hurry cane. It's better support than one crutch. In the house I use the knee walker still. Just to give my ankle a break. I think it's ding pretty good. Best of luck to you...

• Posted

Thanks mary4013

Good luck with bearing to all of us! After pt at home my ankle swells. Dint like the ankle circles or alphabet tracing. Guess because can't do- the hurting ones i guess r the best for recovery.

I still use a combo of devices at home- wheelchair, knee scooter. Crutches make me fall. Thinking of asking pt when to move to something lighter. What is a hurry cane?

Weezer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.