Total hip replacement

Posted , 19 users are following.

i'm due to have a thr in 10days time & I'm terrified! I've never been in hospital before. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope? I'm scared I will wimp out & not go thro with it.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If you read all the other letters  there are lots of peeps who are scared but the majority say afterwards it wasnt nearly as bad as they thought...i`ve had two knee replacements and a new hip and i wouldnt be at all bothered if i had to go in again...good luck   you`ll be fine

• Posted

Welcome Val.

Im having my 2nd THR on the 6th Feb..Almost 12mnths to the day since my first one.

I was apprehensive before the op and don't mind admitting I had a slight panic attack in the anaesthetic room which was a door away from the OR! By which time it's too late to turn back.

The kind nurses who must have been used to this helped calm me down..After the epidural which wasn't to bad I must have been given very strong sedatives as the next thing I remember was being back on the ward,all done.

The people who seem to have the least pre op fear are those who do no research or look on forums like ours..they treat it like a visit to the dentist.

Anyway don't worry too much and ask f you can be sedated,and you won't know a thing.

One bit of advice is try and get your partner or a close friend to stay with you til you go down to theatre..this wasn't possible for me and will be the same again this time,but it would have helped me a lot.

Im going to make a real effort this time around to think positively and focus on all the pain free years I'll enjoy with my new hip joint.

And hard as it is, don't look on here again til after the op,it could make you even more apprehensive.

This time next year youll wonder what you were worried about.

Good luck.

• Posted

I'm hoping my partner willbe able to stay with me as I'm sure I will be panicking. Hopefully my nurses willbe as understanding as yours were. Hope all goes well for you too.
  • Posted

Hi Val, I'm just home this afternoon after having my first thr thr on my left hip.

Went in for surgery on Friday am and had op very soon after. I was petrified; never been in hospital before even for minor stuff...it went so much better than I anticipated. Spinal and sedation was ideal, never felt or heard anything. Staff were amazing and really put me at ease. No pain after the op, I woke up with a huge smile on my face! Just make sure to do your exercises and ask for the 2 hourly pain meds available and you'll be fine xx

• Posted

Great post..just the kind we need to ease our pre op nerves.

cheers.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

just what I needed to hear. Thanks. Hope you continue to make good progress.
  • Posted

Hi Val

Dont worry about it {I know...a stupid thing to say LOL} but honestly its the waiting that is worse than the op and couple of days in hospital.

I've had 2 THR's and both times I had a spinal injection with a light sedation....no problem. I wasn't "out" but heard nothing and didnt hear anything really.

As someone said....prepare for your homecoming by thinking what do you need to hand to start with....I had a small trolly of my own which I filled with notebooks/pens/ telephone/mobile/bits and pieces of make up etc.

Oh yes that reminds me. I made an appointment the previous day to have my hair cut, coloured, and blow dried. Husband couldnt understand this.....you're going in for an operation!!!!! I dont care I want to look as good as I can. I dont wear a lot of make up but what i do I took in with me and made sure I put it on every day. It made me feel much bettercheesygrin Foundation blusher and lipstick were the basics.

You'll be fine. If you have any specific questions....ask away and we'll try to answer them......Arthritis Care is excellent. I volunteer for our branch and they have loads of information that they will send .

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

There is absolutely no need to worry. The surgeon & their nurses have done this op hundreds maybe thousands of times. Whatever crops up they will have experienced it before. You will have no pain on operating day but if it hurts a fair bit next day you just say & they will have a painkiller to suit. Everyday that passes gets better & the Physio's will soon have you moving around & before you know it you will be on your way home. As each day passes you will feel stronger & happier. You may have the odd day that seems not so good but that soon changes & you continue to improve. Just don't rush it & listen to your body. All the best for the great day.
    • Posted

thank you. I'm sure they know what they're doing & the pain after cant be  any worse than it is now!
  • Posted

Val, I too was very worried, never having been in hospital for anything other than childbirth. However, it was so much easier than I anticipated. I'm at six weeks now and haven't even taken any painkillers today.minhave a 1cm leg length discrepancy but am assured that this can mostly be compensated for through physio - it has to do with the way I've been walking due to the pain prior to the op. 

I opted for a general anaesthetic and had no issues with it at all. I was only in hospital for two days. The worst 'side-effect' was dry skin on my legs due to the white stockings you have to wear for about 6 weeks to prevent blood clots! Here (cheshire) they prescribe tablets that you have to take for 4 weeks for the same reason. I gather that elsewhere you have to self-administer injections. However, all of it is worth it to be free of the pain that led you here...promise!

• Posted

they told me I would have tablets to take after, no mention of self administer injections, thank goodness! Hope your recovery continues to go well
  • Posted

I had never been in hospital before, only to have a baby and that was 49 years ago.  I was scared at the thought at first, but  once I had been for the pre-op and my mind was put at rest, I stopped worrying and thought about not being in pain every time I walked.  They are all great, I had a spinal anaesthetic and light sedation and it was brilliant.  When I woke up, the pain was gone.  Of course you are sore and various places are tender, but there is no pain, at least there wasn't with me.  Don't worry about being in hospital, the nurses have seen it all before and they were so nice to me.  We had a good laugh.  If you have a positive attitude about it all, you will be fine.
    • Posted

thank you. That is just what I need to hear. Hopefully my nurses willbe as good as yours were.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.