Total hip replacement

Posted , 19 users are following.

i'm due to have a thr in 10days time & I'm terrified! I've never been in hospital before. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope? I'm scared I will wimp out & not go thro with it.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Val, I'm 11days after THR now and I'm sure that I was as nervous as you. As most of the comments say operation day is ok and also while you're in hospital having nurses look after you and keeping pain at ease. I've found that now I'm home it's more scary. Although I've got my husband, kids, friends and family looking after me. I'm taking painkillers every 6 hours but you read that some people try to cut down, I'm no way near that yet. I'd say I was more uncomfortable than in pain. I know it'll get better and as everyone says one day at a time. You'll be fine xxx
    • Posted

i wil be so glad when the day arrives, this countdown is awful! Hope you continue to make good progress. Thanks for your support.
  • Posted

Take books, I pad or laptop as there are times when you have quiet time but otherwise I am sure the tiem will fly

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks, I will take plenty of things to pass the time. Just can't wait to get it over with!
  • Posted

I was scared but honestly there is nothing to worry about. I had spinal and sedation and it was a piece of cake. Then its tough for a cpl of weeks but it gets better every day. I was in pain for 3 years before hand. I am now 13 weeks post op and like a new woman. Best thing i ever did and it will be for you too. Good luck x

• Posted

I'm not worried about after, just the actual getting into the theatre! Be glad when it's over. Thanks, it helps to hear how positive everyone is.
  • Posted

I was admitted at 11am and in surgery at 1am. It all passed in a blur! I had an epidural, and a "cocktail"! And woke up in recovery. The anticipation was far worse than the day itself. The staff are wonderful, they soothe you when you are frightened before, and compassionate afterwards. I was discharged next day which was a shock! Pain meds didn't last the full 6 hours, and as it was Christmas (trust me!) I relied on an icepack over the scar. But it's like having a baby, you go through it, and it's wonderful afterwards!
    • Posted

your hospital sounds great, hope mine is as good. Be glad when it's over. Thanks for your help.
  • Posted

I think my operation shortchanged me as essexmad had pieces of cake and Judi had cocktails - did you both go private ? LOL
  • Posted

Is there a February discount on THRs cheesygrin

• Posted

Certainly looks like it! Really glad I'm having one in Feb cos I want to go to USA in May. Can't fly for 12 weeks but should hopefully be ok by then.
    • Posted

I can't wait, ha.

Good to lighten the mood and have a laugh..it's the best medicine there is. cheesygrin

• Posted

First the cakes, then the cocktails now discounts on both !!! Please confirm name of hospital for future reference ?

Cheers Shortchanged

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.