Total hip replacement

Posted , 19 users are following.

i'm due to have a thr in 10days time & I'm terrified! I've never been in hospital before. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope? I'm scared I will wimp out & not go thro with it.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How did things go with your thr? My son's has been infected since the surgery in 2013, he had a revision in 2015 and now they want to take everything out and put in a spacer, but they're not sure if they will be able to put anything back in. He's only 33. 

• Posted

I totally understand. I don't think there is one person here who hasn't had the same fears. 

It's only for a few weeks getting thru the surgery heeling and adjustments to the implant. 

Then for years it's all for a better quality of life.

Over 350,000 THR are done a year just in the US.

• Posted

Hi Val

I was the same l don't think anyone is not terrified before getting it done. I was convinced l was going to die before my 1st hip replacement as my platlet levels were borderline low and the surgeon called me 2 days before operation to tell me l might need a tranfusion if l bleed out to much but they were gonna give me a tranfusion of platlets during op just incase. So l has it in my head l was going to bleed to death..l was so scared. But l could not suffer the pain any longer so l has to do it or l would end up in a wheelchair at 42. But the operation went fine and l woke up and it was done.. the first week or so is the hardest but by the 4th week l felt ready to get my other one done and was desperate to go ahead with next op so it can't have been that bad. I got my 2nd hip done 8 weeks after 1st and l don't regret it one bit it was instant releif from OA pain just a diffrent pain of healing which goes away. 6 months later l had my knee replaced and it was 10 x worse than the hip replacement a lot more pain and recovery time. I still have my other knee to get done but l am holding off for as long as l can as the knee was so hard. I would rather get both hips replaced than this knee so that says something. Its amazing how your body recovers from your hips getting replaced l sometimes can't feel as if l have had hip replacements just niggles and stiffness sometimes but l feel my knee constantly. Honestly it will be fine and you wont regret it. I know ll don't so don't back out ne brave and after a few weeks you will be thinking why was l so scared. I am scared about getting my other knee done as it was so painful but when l have to l will. I am now 9 weeks post op from my knee and back at work and driving. I even ran across a road the other day wirhout thinking. Something l could have never done before l got my hips replaced. Try not to worry to much as as most of us on this forum have had it are just abt to get it done and most of us will say how scered we werre before it.

Go for it

Good luck

Laura xx

• Posted

Oops just noticed this was posted a year ago am a bit late with advice lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.