Total Hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having a TAH WITH BSO ON TUESDAY 19TH MAY because they found cancerous cells in my womb.I am 62 with diabetes and heart failure and overweight. I'm hoping that this opperation will clear the cancer away without having anymore treatment. I have been reading the posts on this forum because although I'm not frightened of the opperation I have some concerns regarding the recovery time afterwards, I am having general anesthetic with a spinl injection for any pain.

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 63 well 64 in July I hadTAH + BSO 23 March my womb was thickening had a "cyst" on my left overey the size of an orange which turned out to be only fluid. I sailed through op and recovery felt better than before op by 4 weeks. I was concerned about recovery I live alone. My sister came to stay with me for 2 weeks.

We alwas imagine the worst it will be better that you think Good luck with your op

• Posted

Hi Susan

I had same op as you with the spinal and it was a blessing. I woke up with no drowsiness and no pain! That was my biggest fear. The following day I felt ok until I had a walk and fainted due to low blood pressure and a temperature so felt quite poorly that day. The recovery is quite intense for the first 2 weeks but it does get easier. Your body just won't let you do much so enjoy the rest, you will need 6 weeks doing hardly anything but walking around is vital. I m 6 wks post op and tried to do dome housework Friday but did too much and now suffering so even after 6 wks it looks like you have to take things steady and build yourself up

Good luck for Tuesday will be thinking of you

Gail x

• Posted

Thank you everyones comments have put my mind at ease slightly just be glad to get it over with will keep you posted xxx
  • Posted

I had the same op plus several fibroids removed including one just over 6lb on April 7th (nearly 6 weeks post op) I didn't want the epidural as i couldn't see the point.I just thought that once this wore off i would still be in pain so i thought i would cope with the pain straight away.I had morhine but not much and i didn't take much codine.It wasn't that bad.I

started going out and about within 3 days of leaving hospital and there hasn't been any stopping me since.I am not carrying anything heavy as that can still pull a bit.I have been doing light housework,

Cooking,gardening and generally trying to live as normal but doing everything slower and in moderation.I have been walking a lot which is good for you.You will have read so many posts no doubt about your bowels and wind.Believe me they are true and i have felt this has been the worst part so far.I am still not settled yet.I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor and my 6 week check with my consultant

• Posted

Hi Susan

Good luck for Tuesday, I hope everything goes well for you, and they get all the cancer cells so you are all clear.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on the 3rd April, was home on the 4th, never had any pain and literally bounced back fighting fit.

I've noticed though talking to the lovely ladies on this forum that the recovery can vary tremendously from person to person, no two people recover at the same rate.  The main thing is to rest often, move about alot and leave the rest to nature.  

Let us know how you get on Tuesday, won't you.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hi Susan, I am also 62 and overweight, also with heart problems (Atrial Fibrilation) I had a LAVH with BSO last December as I had been diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer like yourself, I had no pain whatsoever after the op ( I know we are all different) I was very lucky, the only problems I have had are with my bowels being a bit 'sluggish' even now, be prepared for that, I was walking my dogs within 3 weeks and was actually out walking the day I came out of hospital, please be careful not to do too much lifting, that is VERY important, I haven't heeded that advice on a couple of occasions, I have lifter things without thinking and have felt a bit uncomfortable for a while afterwards, be prepared for the infamous 'swelly belly' as well.

Good luck tomorrow and oh by the way, the spinal injection is marvelous biggrin.

Phoebe x

• Posted

You will be asked about all your medical conditions at your preoperative assesessment, and the doctors will choose the best course of treatment. I'm sure things will be fine.

Did you have a CT scan to check if the cancer has spread?

• Posted

Well sat here thinking about my op tomorrow and had a phone call at 4pm to say my op had been cancelled the Anethesist doesnt think I would survive the op due to me having heart failure.I was due to go in at 7.30 am tomorrow (kind of them to let me know) in fact it was a M.D.T. nurse that rang to see how I had taken the news , she was shocked I knew nothing about it.What happens next , your guess is as good as mine I have to wait for an appointment to see the consultant, all that was mentioned was Hormone Therapy ...........Sue
    • Posted

I am so sorry this has happened it must be horrible,

could you ask to talk to the anaesthetist? Find out what he/she is thinking, ask if it could be done with a spinal plus deep sedation, you've had a cancer diagnosis so clearly something needs to be sorted out, don't let them just fob you off, ask to see someone.

Good luck

Phoebe

• Posted

Ps. I worked in a hospital for many years and have seen people robbed off like this and without given an appointment to go and talk, it makes me cross. 😬
    • Posted

Stupid predictive text, that should read fobbed.
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I am so sorry, you must be totally shattered and to leave it to the last minute to tell you.  If you contact PALs they might be able to sort something out with the anaesthetist for you.  Their email and phone number will be on your hospital web site.  When my op was cancelled they were brilliant at sorting things out for me.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Thank you Jacque and Pheobe.Will wait till dinnertime tomorrow and if nobody has been in touch I will ring PALS and put in a formal complaint.I feel very let down and left in limbo at the moment, not blaming them for the heart failure but surely they must have known a fortnight ago when I had my d&c that I couldnt undergo a major op my testresults havnt changed in that time.........Sue
    • Posted

Hi again Susan,

I have just had a lovely walk with my dogs, I do a lot of thinking while walking, Heart surgeons operate on a daily basis, open heart surgery on a daily basis, those patients survive the operation and they come in all shapes and sizes, I'm not a doctor I know that but can't get my head around why they are telling you that you wouldn't survive the op when heart op patiants aren't turned away?? It doesn't make sense.

You don't have to reply to this, it's just me thinking out loud and sharing my thoughts.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Oh dear what a massive blow. Personally I d get a second opinion ASAP. So sorry to hear your news x
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

Have you heard anything from the hospital.  I keep thinking what an awful situation you have been put in, and what you must be going through.  

We are always here for you, especially if you need a chat or just to let off steam,

Love

Jacqui  

• Posted

Thx Jacqui.I rang and left a message with the liason nurse from the MDT team this morning but still not heard anything.If I dont hear today I'm going to go to the hospital tomorrow and speak to the PALS people and demand to see someone to explain.I dont like being a bully but it seems to me you have to be to get anywhere.Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

You are definitely not a bully, you are just trying to get some much needed treatment, it is so awful they have just left you in mid air!  

Let me know how you get on, will keep my fingers crossed that something gets sorted for you. 

Love 

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I used Pals after my first appointment with my consultant.I wanted to complain about him and i ended up seeing the manager in charge of womens health and it helped.I know this is a different situation but what i am saying is that there must be a manager of womens health at every hospital.Just an idea i thought might help.

All the best

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.