Total Hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having a TAH WITH BSO ON TUESDAY 19TH MAY because they found cancerous cells in my womb.I am 62 with diabetes and heart failure and overweight. I'm hoping that this opperation will clear the cancer away without having anymore treatment. I have been reading the posts on this forum because although I'm not frightened of the opperation I have some concerns regarding the recovery time afterwards, I am having general anesthetic with a spinl injection for any pain.

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Will be thinking of you Susan and send up prayers for a good recovery and that they get all the cancerous cells . I'll be having a total abdominal hysterectomy in three weeks. I am a type 2 diabetic and hope my recovery and healing goes well as I pray it will go for you. When you are feeling up to it after the surgery if you could share how you're doing that would be nice. Take care.
  • Posted

Thxs for all your thoughts will keep you posted whats going on .....sue
  • Posted

Well I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow (wednesday) and a second opinion from an anethesist next tuesday he has already put me on hormone therapy Provera, he is still keen to do the opperation but I went to see my own gp today and he said that the valves in my heart had worsened o ver the last 11 yrs since I was first diagnosed with heart failure and the risk of In fection was really high because of my diabetise I will listen to what the surgeon and the anethesist has to say but I think I have already decided not to go along with the opperation. If I only had myself to think about I might chance it but I look after my dad who is 90 and I am trying not to worry him just telling him enough information so he knows whats going on
    • Posted

Hi Susan, I'm pleased you are going to be talking to the surgeon today, shame he couldn't have spoken to you and explained things to you before.

You must do what you are happiest doing, no-one can force you to do anything you don't want to and if you have decided not to have this op then that's up to you, is your cancer just a grade 1? Mine was so no chemo or anything.

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Susan 

What a dilemma you are facing Susan, there are some very difficult choices ahead for you.  Please stay open minded until you have seen your surgeon and the anethesist.  

It must be very hard trying not to worry your father, and trying to stay strong for him. 

Remember we are always here for you, and will support you in whatever decision you make, let us know how you get on.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, been to see surgeon he is still quite keen to do the op under an epidural just got to see what the anethasist says but I am going to try and push for it to be done the surgeon has left 17th and 18th june open to do it this way it will not comprimise my heart he said they would put me on v ery strong anti biotics and have special dressings to keep any infe tion to a minimum and they have special dressings nurses keep ur fingers crossed
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

I was wondering if an epidural was the way they were planning to go.  It will be much better for you, and minimise the risk.  

He! he! I was asked if I would like to have my op done this way, but I am a total coward, I like to wake up and it is all over, and anaesthetic seems to like me I always feel so energized afterwards!

Excellent that they are prepared with strong anti biotics to keep infections as bay.  Make sure you drink plenty afterwards it really does help stop any UTI's.  

You sound a lot better now you have seen the surgeon and I am hoping everything works out for you.  Keep me posted.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

I would imagine deep sedation will be used as well so nothing of the operation will be remembered, my hubby had his total knee replacement done this way, he has an enlarged heart so anaesthetic could be a problem for him as well, you can imagine all the tugging hammering etc that goes on with this type of surgery, he knew nothing about it.
    • Posted

What a brave hubby you have, fantastic he does not remember anything of his knee op, otherwise you can imagine having nightmares for weeks!

It certainly sounds the best option for Susan to have.

Hope you are feeling well and full of energy.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

Lol I had to laugh, my hubby is the biggest wimp going but he had 2 choices, have the op or be pushed in a wheelchair, he is now facing the possibility of having the other one done now.........oh boy! He is not a good patient, my son moved in for a couple weeks to help, hope he can again.

I am doing well thanks, keep overdoing things though, how about yourself?

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi Phoebe

Trouble is this time round your hubby knows what he is in for!  Definitely recruit your son again.  It is amazing what motivates us sometimes.  I can see how the thought of being in a wheelchair would make most of us very brave indeed!  

Very naughty overdoing it, trouble is you start to feel you can do it all! Glad you are doing well, I think we have all survived very well!   I am absolutely blooming with good health.  Doing 40 flights of stairs a day and 4 walks with Rosie a day.   I think my fitness level is better now than when I was doing Zumba!  I am very surprised.  Had permission to start Tai Chi which is great because I can get Ian involved in a bit of it, and then we meditate afterwards.  It is our 'zen' afternoon twice a week.  

Now no overdoing it!  I am watching you! rolleyes

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Crumbs you are energetic Jacqui, I take my 2 dogs out for an hour in the morning, in the afternoon they also get an hour, unfortunately I am still suffering the dreaded 'swelly' belly so haven't been able to do other exercises which is really frustrating, I am trying to lose the stone I put on when I was anaemic and spent 3 weeks on bedrest eating all the wrong things.....bad me! 😆
    • Posted

Hi Phoebe

Don't worry, the 'belly' will gradually disappear as your stomach stops trying to protect the organs and as your fitness level returns the stone will disappear too, and you will soon be back to super fit.

I think you were definitely allowed to enjoy all the naughty foods when you had 3 weeks bedrest, a good pampering is never a bad thing.  Just sometimes it is hard to get back to healthy eating!  

Have a lovely Bank Holiday

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Thanks Jacqui, it's so frustrating, I can honestly say though that this is the only thing I have had to cope with post op, I never experienced any pain afterwards...none but this swelly belly business when you finished having babies 40 odd years ago gets you some really wierd looks  lol rolleyes ! almost feels like Braxton Hicks Ha Ha!! I have to see my consultant again in July (because of the cancer diagnosis I have to go 6 monthly for 3 years) and was hoping to have lost the weight by then, I have lost a bit but not as much as I would have liked to, I'm vegetarian so reasonably healthy eating but am craving cheese just now and pasta...yum!! Oh well like you say it will happen, hopefully soon.

Enjoy your Bank Holiday too.

Phoeberazz

• Posted

Hi Phoebe

I understand how frustrating it all is but when you think we have come through this 'pain free' I am just blown away by it, I had a vaginal biopsy done a few years ago and that was agony for a long time, so I cannot work out how wonderful the recovery has been, and okay our stomachs are not as flat as we would like but we will get there, especially as we eat healthy foods normally and are very active.  Our bodies do not like being messed with and we have had major surgery so we are bound to be a bit off kilter for a while.  Funnily enough I keep craving cheese too. I have to have lactofree cheese, have found a very tasty one but I keep wolfing it down, but slowly my proper eating habits are coming back.  

Also you have battled with cancer and come through it, (fingers and toes crossed for your check ups in the future), but isn't that amazing, you have beated it, that is all you have to tell yourself and smile when you look at 'Mr Belly' he is protecting you at the moment.  

When I think about what you and a lot of the women on this site have had to deal with and come through it I think you are all fantastic.  I don't think many men could cope with all the 'ladies problems' most of us have had to deal with!  But on saying that I think our hubbies are great for getting us through it all and trying their best to help!  

He! he!  I was listening to Ian hoover this morning and he was literally having an argument with my Dyson, telling it off for tripping him up, and for not getting out of the way!  I peeped around the doorframe and there he was all red in the face bent over double and he said 'how on earth do you women cope with these .......   ......... ........ hoovers!  frown

Take care, thanks Phoebe I will enjoy Bank Holiday, we deserve to!

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi pheobe went to see the anethasist today and he has given the go ahead for my opperation. It's not without risks as my blood pressure dropping while undergoing the opperation is now an issue. I will worry about recovering afterwards I will be in icu for a few days before going to the wards, my surgery date is 17th or 18th June. Cant wait to get it over with............Sue
    • Posted

Hi Sue, that's brilliant news, at least now you can move forward, I'm sure everything will go off well, are they doing it under epidural and sedation? When I got back to the ward my heart rate dropped to 44 beats per minute, that caused a bit of excitement for the nurses I can tell you 😊.

We are all here to support you through this so please keep in touch.

Phoebe

• Posted

Thanks Pheobe, I'm having epidural to start with and a general. The issue is the low blood pressure and it doesn't matter which I have so opted for a general. God I could have kissed the anethasist, he had me walking through the hospital and up and down stairs to see my level of fitness and then said "you've earned an opperation".
    • Posted

He sounds great, my anaeasthetist was lovely as well, he put me at ease straight away which makes so much difference. I had the same as you, epidural and GA.
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I was thinking about you yesterday.  I will keep everything crossed that you get your op either on the 17th or 18th June.  It will be so great for you to get this done and get on the road to recovery.  I am rooting for you.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Thanks Jacque cant wait to get it over with now seems like ive been waiting for ages Its on the 18th next Thursday, although I must say at least my blood sugars are better than they have ever been so that will improve the healing process.Ive been drinking ginger and lemon tea and think that is responsible for bringing my sugar levels down itsgood for lowering blood pressure , cholesterol, blood sugars.The lemon can also slow cancer cells down and good for athritis and aids in healing so im taking some with me when I go in I'll keep you posted ......Sue x
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

Sounds like you have everything under control, have you started packing your case yet?  Don't forget oil of peppermint (2/3 drops in a glass of water 3 times a day) for the gas, stops all the nasty pain.  

I hope you are first down, no time to think then, and you have the rest of the day as your recovery.  So glad you are getting your operation.  

Have a lovely weekend.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Ginger is supposed to be very good for slowing cancer cells as well, I did a lot of research when I got my cancer diagnosis.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

It's 4 wks tomorrow since my op, went to see surgeon last Monday he was very pleased still have a little bit of leaking but it is slowly getting less. I am now officially cancer free but he wants me to go and have some radiation as a precaution and i have been discharged YIPPEE.............SUE

• Posted

Hi Sue

Oh I am so pleased for you, what a result. razz Absolutely fantastic, you must be over the moon. lol Can you believe it is 4 weeks already, my doesn't time fly!  Very glad your weakage is getting less, it takes time for everything to right itself.  

Hope the radiation does not make you feel too ill, but at least you now have the 'all clear'.  Remember lots of walking and lots of kegels!

I am having a cataract op on Friday so I cannot exercise for a week only walking (thank goodness) but I had just got all my exercising going full swing!rolleyes  Still it is only a week!

Well done Sue.

Love 

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hope everything goes ok for your cataract op ? I remember when my dad hadhis done it was a mobile unit from south africa at the back of the hospital they were great with him and he was only there about 4 hrs and they rang to pick him up, Will be thinking about you goodluck......Sue
    • Posted

Hi Sue

Many thanks for your good wishes. razz Was your Dad's sight much better after the op?  My lovely Mr Johnson said his quickest time was 15 minutes and the longest was 20 minutes so I will be somewhere within that margin, then an hour recovery, for tea and biscuits, and questions, he runs a very laid back rural clinic so I am hoping the laid back atmosphere will help my jelly legs!  Will let you know how I get on.rolleyes

Love

Jacqui cool

• Posted

Well all I can say is my dad is 90 and he only wears very weak strength glasses, he had them done about 15 yrs ago ........Sue x
    • Posted

Hi Sue

Wow that is very impressiverazz, and also what a wonderful age your father is.lol  It is amazing what they can do for eyes these days isn't it?  

Take care

Love

Jacqui smilecool

• Posted

Hi Sue

Back in the land of the living.  It was my worst nightmare come true!  Apparently I have very deep set eyes (never realised!) and Mr Johnson said he had never operated on anyone with such a problem before!  He really struggled to get the lids and the eyelashed pinned back, oh my god was it painful, and my nerve went completely, I kept forgetting to breath, I was holding everything in tight spasm!  He apologised so much because he had to bruise my eye quite badly to get everything tucked away, I said I would say hubby did it!  Oh but it does hurt, luckily the swelling is going down now I looked like a prize fighter yesterday.  Everything was very blurred but today slowly it is clearing, I can see better than I could before the op but it is not perfect yet.  Was told it would take a few days.  Ah but the best bit, I can wear makeup in a week's time yipee!  I am definitely not looking forward to the right one being done at all!

Hope you are well.

Love

Jacqui cool

• Posted

Oh God Jacqui that sounds awful and I think I wouldnt be looking forward to having the other one done either, but maybe in a few weeks you might feel different about it especially if you can see better ( excuse the pun).I am still having my wound dressed every day but they have found a small hole in the wound, I think it was where the drain was but it is quite deep and that is why I keep getting an infection, so am now having to have it pac ked but at least they knowz now why its still leaking.............Sue
    • Posted

Hi Sue

Oh you are having a rough time of it, hopefully it will soon heal and you can start getting your life back together again.  It is good they are changing your dressing every day, it means they are keeping a good watch on you.  Things are never straight forward are they?  Still we are both on the mend thankfully.  Have they given you any indication of how long it will take to heal?

Yes, I am freaked about having the right eye done, especially now I know what I am in for, but I need it done, so I am going to have to do some serious relaxation before hand.  Oh what I would give for my beloved anaesthetic!    

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, hope you are still keeping well. I am still having my dressings done everyday as the skin keeps breaking down and blisters then goes into a hole, at the moment the nurses are packing 3 holes and it's still leaking 1 of the holes is 4 inches deep they said the wound is clean and it's just a matter of persevering. I go to clatterbridge tomorrow for my first treatment got to have 3 as a precaution........... sue
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Good to hear from you.  I'm very well thank you, apart from having a new lens implant in my left eye that has become a bit of a problem but should be okay with time, I just have to be patient!  Not one of my better virtues!

Gosh Sue you are really going through it aren't you.  Good job the nurses are keeping an eye on your wound.  I do hope it starts to heal soon.   It must be quite scary for you.  Hang on in there.

Good luck at Clatterbridge tomorrow, hope it all goes well.  Let me know how you get on.

Love

Jacqui smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.