Total knee replacement 19 days ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had Tkr 2 and half weeks ago on my left knee. I have learned from this experience that you are fighting against the time. The moment that you had your knee surgery. Your body started to grow the scar tissue around the injured area. If you want to have less pain. First you must reduce the swelling. I ice my knee every day for the first two weeks before and after exercise and I also elevator with pillows at night. If you have too much swelling. It's quite difficult to do the daily exercise. Also the more pain you have at night. The more exercise that you needs to do in the day time because the ligament is trying to find it's own place and usually at night it pull the opposite ways. Now I am able to turn side to side with minimum pain. I know it's challenge at times. Believe me the sooner that you do your exercise the sooner that you will be getting better. I hope my insight can give you a little bit if encouragment. Keep up the good work

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I'm glad you're doing so well. 2.5 weeks is really really early in TKR recovery. You will have ups & downs but stay positive as you are now.

It's good to see positive posts from someone so early in recovery, but don't forget to rest also. At this stage rest is very important after all you just had major, brutal, surgery. Give your body a chance to repair.

Love the positive thoughts though.

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks so much for your encouragment. Yes will definitely rest in between. Have a great day
  • Posted

I had some home therapy for 3 weeks and then started PT.  Ten weeks of medieval torture @ 2X/week plus the work at home on my own.  Went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123 at around 3 months.  Two years later, I'm 0 / +133.  Gotta get the scar tissue broken down in those first 3-4 months and then do the rest of it at the gym while you're rebuilding your atrophied quads, glutes and core.  You need BOTH therapies: first the ROM, then the strength.  It's an on-going thing...get used to it.

• Posted

I am a year post op TKR right knee and can assure you there is no magic, nor trick to each knee or each operation.  Everyone is different. My knee is excellent but still hurts a bit with the change in temperature. Exercise is your friend. My left knee was soon to follow but I am exercising every day to make it stronger and I now believe the left knee can be put off for a few years!!!  Best of luck to all. It does come to a happy conclusion. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen

Thanks for sharing your experience. So glad that you are doing so well. Keep up with your good work. Sharing your positive experience definitely will help us when we have a bad day. Best of luck to you too. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.