total knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm a senior but was younger than age before and age was not an issue but now I feel OLD, very lonely, depressed, nauseated, and no compassion for life.  Pain in knee is getting better but still swollen, warm to touch and sharp pains shoot suddenly.  I drove myself to my Dr appt. and did ok... used walker. At least I got out of house. The pain meds were vital at the begining but became less affective and left side effects like big-time hangover, no appetite. this is my first time on forum and would be very nice to hear back from some of y'all out there.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long since you had the surgery? I remember all those feelings well and I was 56 when I had mine last year - I am sure you will receive lots of replies saying we know how you feel - it is a tough roller coaster ride and it is important to try and help yourself rather than get into a spiral of depression. First for you is eating properly, ensuring you do the pt, using ice, rest elevation etc. and NOT overdoing it too soon. Get help and use aids until you feel more confident and comfortable. Watch TV, spoil yourself, get you hair done etc.. All hard I know but there is a lot we can do to help ourselves through this very hard time - emotionally and physically - its torment and in some ways accepting this and keeping a diary so you can see the improvements, even small ones, might help. Sleep and pain management are key to mental health. Stay on this forum and let us know how you get on - this forum is great - even 13 months on I have a few issues (minor) and find those on here really understand where it is hard for others to. Good luck x
    • Posted

Caroline, wow, looks like  I discovered a forum with many, many winners like you. Tks for the much needed encouragement.
  • Posted

Also - look back through this forum and you will find lots of comrades in arms!
  • Posted

Caroline46398 is absolutely right don't give up. As tough as it is you will get through this there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Don't be to tough on yourself you will get good days and bad days then eventually the good will over ride the bad.what your feeling is quite natural the sharp pain twitching hot sensation. The ice pack is essential as many times a day as you like. I was having it at least 6-7 times a day and it helped so much. A good sleep is also essential as that is part of the healing so try and rest when you can.

We are all here to advise and Elphinstone you get through this. Chin up

• Posted

Kim, glad to know the sharpt stabbing sudden pain is par for the course. Was yous a Total knee replacement as was mine? I have always been called "bird legs but now they are matchstix.wondering if it's normal to lose wt in legs only. even old gals like me can be a litttle vain I guess.biggrin 
    • Posted

Hi Marg yes mine was a tkr an idea think the loss in weight on the legs is down to the fact that they are not being used as before so it's like muscle wastage. Least you can see the funny side of it 😊

• Posted

Hi Marge - so sorry you are so down about the TKR. So many of us had the same feelings, in my case - I had to have the darn thing taken out after one year  & go through it all again 5 months ago. This time I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I just wish I had researched so I knew how brutal it was, how sleep deprived I'd feel & how mentally draining it all is. Keep taking the pain meds - you really need them to get over it - one guy in particular, Oldfatguy, will tell you to drink masses of water - what that man doesn't know about knee operations after having such trouble himself! So - ice, elevate, take meds, drink water, keep on this forum, & you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Posted

Sounds like u r on ur own. That can be even more challenging, but this is a time when u get to ask for help. I know that's hard for a lot of women, as we r the caretakers.

i advise accepting the situation and pampering URSELF. Don't expect too mush of URSELF, except to do all the things to heal. I'm 71 and know what u mean. For me I see that exercise is key. When I go to pt and they push me, that is when I feel mentally and physically better.

best wishes, Damy 

• Posted

Great advice Damy. yeah, I guess we feel guilty when we let things go undone but yep, need tlc for ourselves first. ur right aout pt. need it> best to you. Marge

• Posted

I am feeling so much better at 14 weeks, but still get tired and then frustrated.

its just how it is, this takes time. Today I for showered and dressed , all ready to go food shopping , and then, oops, just didn't have it in me to go. So that's how it goes, . Ur doing well for 5 weeks, keep up the good attitude 

☺️

• Posted

I can relate to this.  At 9 weeks post TKR and 4 weeks post prostate TURP my stamina is still suffering. I leave with several errands energy level drops so I head home to rest. Played 9 holes of golf Sat. Not so much the knee as fatigue. I'm 69 take thyroid-blood pressure-cholesterol medication. Plan to ask my primary if I can reduce some of my medications.  I was taking two different blood pressure medications prior to surgery lost some weight and doctor took me off one of them. I've found you have to be proactive with doctors to make sure you're not over medicated.  I've been very lucky with my TKR and TURP.  Never had any real pain in knee only some discomfort. I'm slim and always walked a lot walked 18 holes of golf a month prior to TKR. Everyone is different listen to what your body it telling you. Use ice for 10 minutes at a time.  Good luck
    • Posted

Hi John, well ur body has been thru a lot. 2 surgeries. 9 weeks is still early, but glad ur getting out. 

Regarding ur meds; I travel 1 hour to see my primary care dr. Because he is not the type to over medicate. Most just throw meds at you, mine evaluates the situation from all angles and is up on all the latest studies. Any other dr. Would have me on cholesterol meds, . He says my good cholesterol is so high that I do t need them.i feel good about the fact that I am 71 and not on any meds. My husband , as well , and he's 73.

drugs r a double edged sword. I hope u can get yours reduced. 

Continued good luck to you. 

Damy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.