Total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi anyone I had a tkr on the 27 November 2017 so I am 12 weeks in to recovery. I'm getting really bad pain at the top of my tibia just under the knee. Is anybody experiencing the same thing. It's really getting me down. Also the ligaments at the back of my knee seem to give way sometimes. Any reassurance would be grateful.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cut down what you are doing for a bit and see if it helps?

You may be overdoing things a bit.

What pain relief are you taking?

Are you doing strengthening exercises?

As your leg gets stronger things will improve...still early in the process. Things do improve.

• Posted

Hi yes I'm doing my exercises and icing. Only on paracetamol and naproxen which I had left over. Don't like going to doctors for something stronger as I was doing so well and stopped stronger pain killers a month ago I don't know if they will give me anything. Just feeling quite dosn

• Posted

Sorry clicked on reply. Yes we'll I'm feeling really down at the moment. Tried to cut down but no different hopefully things will change soon,??

• Posted

Hi Mandy.....I had my tkr on 24 November 2017, so I’m also into my 12th week. 

Up to eight weeks I was making fair progress but suddenly I began to get an excruciating pain under my knee, probably we’re you state yours is. It’s like a knife being stabbed in me, it awful and I cry out in pain. My knee also seems to be stiffening up and I’m finding more and more difficult to walk. I’m seeing a consultant on Friday to get it checked out. 

People tell me it will improve but like you, it’s making me depressed.  

I’ll see what the consultant says and get back to you. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Linda 

• Posted

Hi Linda thanks for your reply it's good to hear it's not just me. (Not good for you though). It's horrible isn't it. I was thinking about making an appointment to go back and see can consultant as they said I could go back anytime. I just keep listening to everyone saying it will go away but it's not. I'm just so fed up. Hope all goes well Friday look forward to hearing from you.

Mandy

• Posted

Yes Mandy I’ll definitely get back to you. Everyone keeps telling me it’ll get better but as the consultant said go back anytime, then we should take that advise I guess, rather than suffer in silence!  I read that 3-5% of patients can suffer what we’re going through so we must persevere. 

Catch ya later! 

Linda 

• Posted

Hi Linda how did you get on when you went to see the consultant? Hope it was good news x
    • Posted

Hi Mandy....first let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I couldn’t work out how to find this particular thread, I’ve tried several times and today, well it must be a fluke cos I’ve found you!

I didn’t see the consultant who performed the knee op, but one of his colleagues who was very nice.  I had an X-ray and this showed everything to be okay, there was no infection. So basically I was told to just grin and bear it!  He did say he would make me an appointment for three months to see the actual consultant who performed the knee replacement, if he thought it necessary, then I would probably need manipulation under sedation. This doesn’t appeal to me at all, I’m sure it’s going to be pretty painful!

In the meantime, my knee is getting worse.  I’m walking/limping very badly which is affecting my new hip and my back. I walk only a short distance, less than half a mile and I’m walking at snail pace and in excruciating pain.....I’m reduced to tears. It’s awful. 

Today I attempted to get on my bike again, (I could do it six weeks after the op),  but was unable to bend my leg enough, the pain again excruciating. 

On Tuesday morning I have booked an appointment with a private physiotherapist to see if they can help me.  I’m getting desperate as we have a holiday booked at the end of May which will involve a lot of walking......at this rate I’ll be hopeless!

When I’m sitting I have no pain, it’s just when walking and night time. 

How are you getting on Mandy? I sincerely hope you’re improving better than me. 

Keep me posted and good luck. x

• Posted

Hi Linda just read your reply to Mandy.

At least you are reassured that nothing bad is going on in there!

It's possible you have deep  scar tissue around the op site, you can't see it but I have found it gives a horrible tearing pain on bending.

Maybe try to massage all around the knee, the incision scar (as long as it's healed) & above & below the knee. Give it a really good deep massage, the aim is to break up the scar tissue. Also maybe find a good sports injury masseur/masseuse to really get into it. Tell them the reason you need it done they will understand & tailor the massage to your needs. At this stage in the game you have nothing to lose in trying.

Scar tissue causes awful pain & stiffness, so defo worth looking into proper massage.

I hope it works, let us know how you get on.

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi Linda sorry to hear nothing has changed for you. I am getting a little better some days are better than others. Still getting alot of stiffness but not as painful thank goodness.i think for me it's just time. The pain in my shin went away as I got a bad flu and was not able to do anything for over a week so the rest must have done the trick. Hope things improve for you soon will keep in touch x

• Posted

HI Marilyn.......sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve been away for a few days helping to nurse my terminally ill granddaughter, although in my present condition I wasn’t a lot of help, more support I guess. All very sad though.  

There’s been no improvement since I last wrote on here, so I’m going to try what you suggest, it sounds like a good explanation. I’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain! 

Many thanks for the advise, I’ll let you know how I get on. 

Linda xx

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your granddaughter Linda. It does put a lot of things on perspective doesn't it.

I hope you manage to get some improvement on your knee. 

Keep us posted on your progress.

My

XX

• Posted

Hi Mandy, yes I had the same at about 4 weeks, after I had done a bit too much. I had done all my exercises a couple of times & then went on to change the bed linen. Maybe a little too much too soon. 

I just did a little less for a couple of days & had been fine since. I did mention it to my physiotherapist, she agreed I d overdone it!

Just ease off a bit, then slowly reintroduce. If you find it's a particular exercise that does it then don't do that exercise, or whatever it is that sets it off. You may have do your Miss Marple bit & do some detecting as to what sets it off!!

Good luck

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn. I know I do too much sometimes but I rested for a week and then after that did as little as possible. I only need to go for a short walk and it comes back. Driving me mad. Hope you're doing ok now.

Mandy x

• Posted

hi Mandy,you have good replies/and I suggest hang on in there,be patient,exercise as instructed,take pain relief,ice if needed.

I am 10 months since surgery and what is happening to you sounds normal and similar to mine around same time.

I was warned a year of focus on healing as time and your treatment of your knee is very important.

I started reading books/ fiction (which I have seldom done in my whole life)..and reading thrillers really helps to take my mind off me and pain!!

Thank goodness for some real good thrillers!

I also had issues with my knee giving way and I had to be vigilant with when getting up from a chair-or out of car.

I had a couple of falls with knee giving way.One onto the road and facial grazing and black eye,and 6 weeks to heal as so very grazed.But,I consider myself lucky as no bones broken

I believe your concerns are just what may happen and definitely happened to me.

Best wishes and be gentle on self x

• Posted

Thank you Jill you have put my mind at rest hopefully things will improve soon. I will try to be patient. Sounds like you had a tough time.

Thanks best wishes to you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.