Total knee replacement and swimming

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am now nearly 7 weeks post op and doing pretty well. I am thinking the swimming pool may be a good next step .I need to strengthen my muscles and if I could lose a bit of weight in  the process that would be a big bonus .Are there any no nos , things I shouldn't be doing? And things I should ,  Any advise welcome 

thanks 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think that's an excellent idea Pam.  I think providing the staples have been removed ok, and there's no sign of any 'problems' with the scar, then swimming should be fine.  It's definitely a non-impact type activity (which they do tell you to avoid), and requires movement of the knee joint no matter which stroke you choose.  I don't know if it's correct, but I was told, pretty much any type of exercise is good (non-impact) and I was also told you can't overbend it (providing you could stand the pain)...apparently you can't 'break' anything.  Not sure how true that is though smile
    • Posted

Yes, that's much what I have been told .i thought someone mentioned not doing breast stroke !! . I am a bit worried about slipping over etc , so I will wait for the school hols to be over , maybe a bit quieter . 
  • Posted

Morning,

I am nearly 9 weeks post op and had three hydrotherapy sessions at the hospital in the first few weeks.  Managed more than I could ever do on land. However, we are not ducks and have since been working hard with my Physiotherapist in the gym and home exercises which we all know are essential.

My therapist said swimming is excellent, but breaststroke is NOT advised for tkr patients.  

Hope this helps. And be careful not to slip!

• Posted

I don't disbelieve you about the breast stroke, but does anyone know why?.....Seems to me, that stroke would require the most amount of 'bend' on the knee!...Surely that's good isn't it?...
    • Posted

One would guess it is because of just that pete, a little too much of a bend and a bit of a twist, probably not good for people recovering.
    • Posted

That's what I had heard , I should have asked my Physio , next app is over 2 weeks away ..if anyone can ask physio sooner, let me know please  thank you 
    • Posted

Seeing mine tomorrow, Pam.  Will double-check for you.
    • Posted

I'm not altogether sure how that fits with the advice of being told, you can't hurt or damage anything my 'overbending' (again assuming you could do that without screaming in pain)..... smile
    • Posted

Oooooh....I'd be interested in hearing what they say about it Lynn....there seems to be a conflict of advice, depending who you talk to.
    • Posted

As I said, will check again tomorrow.

Better safe than sorry and all that ......

• Posted

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I am a swimming teacher/coach, and breaststroke does not just flex and extend your knee it causes rotation around the knee joint and the new parts are not quite able to produce that rotational movement which inhibits breaststroke. If you swim breaststroke the modern way where the legs come straight up to your butt and straight back without the big circular motion, then apparently it is quite possible. I will find out, I have my knee replacement in 13 days time!

I am a Masters Swimmer and I compete at National & International level and although my main stroke is Freestyle, I need to be able to do Breaststroke for my Medley training, so I hope it works out - and I'm only 50 - years of competition left in me yet!

Hope you're back up and running again!

• Posted

Dear Pam

I could run, jump in the water, but I could not swim.  My knee felt uncomfortable when tring to move it when doing crawl or in classic style.

• Posted

That's interesting , still running and jumping would be good lol 
    • Posted

Dear Pam

I suppose as I am half the weight in the water it is much easier to run or jump. The Physio told me to walk  backwoods and sideways in the water, also to bend leg backwards in the water.  I also wim without kicking my legs, it makes arms stronger.  Good luck!

• Posted

The breast stroke is not advisable, because  requires a side kick. For me it is very unplasant to kick with the operatied leg in any direction.  My knee does not like any sudden movements of any kind.
    • Posted

That all makes good sence , if I turn quickly in bed it hurts my knee , so will be careful on that one thank you 
    • Posted

Hi,

My Physiotherapist reiterated that breast stroke is NOT advisable because it involves too much rotation of the new knee.  So it is the rotation and not the bend which can cause problems.

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the info...I didn't realise there was 'that' much rotation involved, but thinking about it...there probably is! smile

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I was told the same, but I do not remember if in future we can swim in breast stroke?

• Posted

Don't think I'll chance it.  Apparently, the new implant doesn't move in the same way as an original knee. Would hate a dislocation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.