Total Knee Replacement -Burning Pain

Posted , 79 users are following.

My mom had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and has severe burning all around the joint. It gets worse when she's sitting and raises her foot up to straighten her leg. She has to do to exercises and the pain was so bad today that she was in tears. The therapist wasn't very helpful and acted like my mom was over reacting. Has anyone else has so much burning after a knee replacement?

5 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindy i too was done on dec  3rd. was a rough  week .now i have  some  more  comfort but  sometimes  not.exercise is the  key but rest is important  pain managment  and  some tlc  which   means tender loving  care . its  my  leg  aand i  am  not in a race and we all heal at same rate. i gave  up  my  morphine  and on ibubrophen  and tylenol ...she  should talk to her  dr  and make  sure all is well .please tell her we all hurt  but how we  cope is the key.ice /elevation comfortable position  and yes exercises.and  dont  try tooo much  too  soon . today was a witch of a day for me ..take care of each  other merry  christmas

• Posted

Posted less than a minute ago

Hi, my Mom just got her TKR done for both the knees. After the surgery she had sever burning and shooting pain in the right leg. Her left leg was fine. The doctor informed us that there nothing to worry, but we were quite worried that something had gone wrong with the right knee. After reading this thread, it has put my mind at ease that this is normal and things will get better. She is just a day out of surgery, any other suggestions that you any of you can give would be deeply appreciated. Thanks all.

• Posted

Give. Her lots of love and gentle understanding. Prune juice and ginger ale are also nice
  • Posted

Hello all. I'm 4 weeks out of TKR and have been experiencing burning pain top of knee cap down the shin from day 1.  Surgeon seemed at a loss as to how to address burning pain after increased doses of oxycodone and tramadol didn't help. After referring me to a pain clinic 3 days ago I was prescribed neurontin and had relief almost immediately. Slept 7 hours strait for the first time since surgery. Not sure as to origin of problem but suspects my alignment is off (due to inability to put equal pressure on that side since surgery and even in advance of surgery since I was limping). Regardless, it is working and I'm off Oxycodone except one tab at bedtime. Hope this helps...
  • Posted

My surgery was more than 10 weeks ago and burning and stinging of my incision caused me more discomfort than any knee pain. Even the light weight of the bed sheet was painful. I got through it taking only 2 oxycodone in a 24 hr period because I didn't want to get hooked on them. I was almost to the point of asking for neurontin but really didn't want to add any additional medications to my daily drug regimen. I think it was around week 7 that it started to subside. I still have a hot/burning sensation but the 'bee sting' type of pain has just about completely gone. All I can say is that you need to be patient and all these discomforts gradually subside and go away.
  • Posted

Hi, I am 18 weeks post of of left tkr. I had an extremely hard time during my PT at home. I then went to a nursing home rehab and the PT manually forced my knee to bend by applying his body weight to my leg to forcibly bend the knee. It was inhumane punishment with no empathy at all. I had to to get out of there. Now I am going through PT like I should had from the beginning. I am 130 degrees ROM and 0 degrees flexion. However, I do walk with a cane for security. My knee burns very bad at night. I sleep from side to side and no relief. My dr prescribed Lryica for the burning pain. I do not promote this drug due to memory lapses but sometimes it does help the burning pain at night only. Now my hip hurts when I walk and burns at night as well. I am high tolerance for pain so to take a pain pill means it is beyond my tolerance. Im tired to taking a pill to not feel pain.This blog has helped me with exercises that others found that helped them. The knee is still soar around the knee cap area. Has anyone experienced this much discomfort 18 mos post opt and still relying on some sort of aid to help them walk with perfect ROM and Flexions?
    • Posted

Hi Clara, I am hoping I get some suggestions or answers from this site.  I had a bilateral tkr three and two years ago and still have severe burning sensation/pain in my knee cap areas.  My orthopedic surgeon sent me to a rheumatologist this fall.  My uric acid was normal but was still put on a gout medication, even tho I did not have gout.  I only took it for a week as it was not helping with pain, etc.  I definitely have to follow up with orthopedic surgeon again and perhaps suggest a MRI.  I have fallen twice over the three year period, once on each knee, but X-rays were taken each time and showed nothing.  Any suggestions for me?
    • Posted

perhaps MRI will enlighten.Have you put ice on knee to cope?

I had partial replacement 10 months ago and in therapy(6 weeks) I was slower to heal than ones whom had tk replacement.

In first few months when commencing to walk again I fell over on road after getting out of a car where 10 minute journey-- and fell on tar on road.May face grazed and black eye ,but so happy I did not break anything ( like my healing knee!)-but after that fall whenever i sit and then get up I have to make sure my balance is ok and i am ready to hold onto something if  a bit wobbly..

Past few weeks feel so much stronger- but get pain on side of knee not operated on.

But,pain is getting less and less.I am awaiting MRI of spine as pain massive on one side of back.A lot going on and I believe it is encouraged by my not being able to walk correctly for a long time- over 2 years;so all spine etc -- outta balance.Just hope it comes right.

Are you doing strengthening exercises now?

• Posted

Hi Cindy England here I'm 2 weeks in to TKR and today having seen PT in hospital a lot I saw an out patient PT and he came up with a great solution to aid knee bending which is to use a small skate board which of course aids going back and forth. Sounds good to me so will start tomorrow when my husband has got me one. Good lucky Cindy Mum
  • Posted

After a yr I hope all is back to normal for your Mom. I had TKO 4 weeks ago today. I like your Mom have been reduced to tears over the pain from the burning, tingling or crawling like feeling in my shins and my entire upper thigh. The knee area is sore but could manage no problem it that was the only pain! The nurses in the hospital were not very sympathetic either! But a small Hosp. & nurses are not all ortho nurses. Best to go have your surgery at a large hosp. where they only work on the ortho floor and know all the signs ect. What I believe I am experiencing is nerve damage from the tournaquit they use during surgery (you should have seen my black & blue legs! My mom has neuropathy and takes Nuerotin 3 times a day. Long story but it is hell for her & now I know what she goes thru! Drs are not much help either, more concerned about giving you too many pain meds. I just hope this nerve damage is not permanent and will get better with time. No one wants to talk about the nerves, why?

• Posted

I want to talk about the nerves. I have pain in my groin and hip tkr side and back and i want some answers. I see the surgeon this Friday for the six month check up. Would he admit to eventual nerve damage? I don't know. If only someone (in the medical feild) would take me seriously about this !

• Posted

Same here, pain from upper thigh to foot, excruciating pain I might add, surgeon keeps telling me its rare for "serious " nerve damage, he still won't say that major damage may have occurred, the same ole give it time, I had my other knee replaced 5 years ago with the expected numbness from minor nerve issues around the knee other than that no pain no issues..my recent surgery as in 9 months ago...putting

it lightly I'm still in excruciating pain...

• Posted

I had my TKR just over two months ago and the knee is fine, it's the burning pain from the top of the thigh to the foot that's worse. My surgeon thinks it was due to the tourniquet they put at the top of the leg and says he'll either do my other one without or let it off every few minutes. 

• Posted

Thought it was me, sorry your going through this also, putting it lightly for me the pain is excruciating, I move my leg different ways to see if that helps sometimes it does for a few seconds, don't think my surgeon will ever say that this IS long lasting nerve damage..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.