Total Knee Replacement -Burning Pain

Posted , 79 users are following.

My mom had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and has severe burning all around the joint. It gets worse when she's sitting and raises her foot up to straighten her leg. She has to do to exercises and the pain was so bad today that she was in tears. The therapist wasn't very helpful and acted like my mom was over reacting. Has anyone else has so much burning after a knee replacement?

5 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hav.e had my total knee replacement nearly three weeks ago now yes like your mum have got burning sensation. The only advice I can give is keep going my own progress seems so slow too. The biggest problem I have got is when I try to lay down for any lenght of time I get extreme pain in my foot and shin bone. My leg from knee down becomes really tight and it feels like my foot is going to explode with the pain. Am wondering if my circulation is being cut off have got bad veins and had a DVT in past though on blood thinners since opp. Don't know about your mum but to me it's so scary. x

• Posted

Hi. My name is Karen. I had a left total knee replacement about 4 1\2 weeks ago . I am 49 years old and

live in Delaware. I have experienced tightness in my knee and still some swelling. I also experience nerve pain which is like a sharp throbbing pain,this happens mostly at night. I am relieved to find out that this is not only happening to me. I am sorry to hear that the therapist wasn't very understanding about her pain.Sometimesmy therapist tells me to relax Andi tell her it's hard to relax when the pain is excruciating. I usually try to work thru the pain by breathing thru the pain.I wish your mom some relief from the pain. I had to have my knee done at 49 due to osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis as well as had torn my meniscus in two places. The pain level before surgery was about a 9 most days . I find that the pain level right now ranges from a 7to 9.5 but it's a different kind of pain. Before my surgery my knee was bone on bone , but now the pain has been !more nerve and stiffness pain and swelling.. The pain is slowly getting better. I am relieved to find out I am not the only one feeling this way.

• Posted

Karen, I had both knees replaced, the right 7 years ago no problems, my left knee is a little over a year ago, I have constant swelling, pain in my lower knee just behind the patella, they keep draining it getting blood, they can’t figure it out, I’m a very active 59 year old, i have to walk every day or my pain goes off the charts and that hurts very very much walking, dr said re doing the tkr is too risky for post complications, they did a revision surgery to perform a lateral release but it didn’t do any good, it looks like I have to live with it..just keep moving and most of all don’t let up on your Dr!! There has to be a solution, the feeling I get from my Dr is clueless..second opinions are the same, you are still in your infancy as far as post op don’t give up and again walk walk walk even if you don’t feel like it because not exercising it I’m sure is worse...hang tough Tim
  • Posted

I had my total knee replacement in 2008 & I still have constant burning & pain in that knee. It seems like no one can answer me what is causing this.

• Posted

Rose, I see your problems with burning sensation problem was over a year ago.  Any improvement?
  • Posted

I was so encouraged when i stumbled onto the website one night when i was in excruciating pain--following TKR three weeks ago. I cannot tolerate any narcotic painkiller, so it's me, my gnu gnee, and my pain at three in the morning. Since then, that pain--which I think is nerve pain--has lessened in intensity but is still there at night to keep me from sleeping well--and therefore compromised the speed of recovery. Getting up and walking helps a little, ice and elevation help a little. I take two aleve per day, and tonight i will try a sleeping aid. Although I have had other surgeries, including two toal shoulder replacements and arthroscopic surgery on my arthritic ankle, NOTHING prepared me for 1) the intensity of the pain post hospital 2) the unpredictbility of when nd how the pain would occur, or 3) the slow slow slow pace of progress. Yes, i will get "there" and it definititely is getting better incrementally-- but it's ONE TOUGH JOURNEY. And fie and a pox on all those who brag  they were " back on the golf course in two weeks"!  If you are hurting, as someone else posted, remember : YOU ARE NOT ALONE. 

• Posted

My total TKR was 5 weeks ago I've have been experiencing burning and swelling in my knee, ankle and lower leg

it is with tremendous pain I am having problems keeping my knee straight, is there anyone out there

that can give tips on how to keep my knee straight?.

I am experiencing same difficulty trying to sleep at night.

I don't know whether to lay on my back or my side with my surgical knee cause it feels

so bulky. I don't want to hurt it, I find my self with my leg propped up in a bent position in the morning.

I notice that has cause my kneecap to be bulky and I'm having problems getting it straight.

On the other hand I am doing well with my range I have gotton up 94-95 rage pulling my knee up to my chest

and up to 110 range at times behind my back on the table.

My therapist says I'm doing well with my bicycling, leg pushes.

When I come home after therapy I can't move for a complete day.

I wake up stiff any suggestions? I've taken so many drugs

my nerves jerk I stopped taking them, I still take hydrocodon and gabapentin it seems to

stop the pain.

I've learned to take medication before going to therapy and that seems to work.

Also Cindy I wanted to ask how was the first day back at work? I'm in my 5th week aproching

my 6th week and I don't feel capable of walking without the crunch, and the Cain

I'm not comfortable with it, it's too much....walking with it is easy but walking too much causes pain can anybody help.

Sorry have a lot to say this is my first time.

And to address the lady with your mother with the pain I pray that the pain gets better.

• Posted

Hi Cindy I had a TKR 5 weeks ago and I am nervous about going back to work so-soon.

How has it been since you went back to work in your 6 weeks?.

I am experiencing excruciating pain in my knee cap ankle and lower leg.

I have graduated from The crunch to the game Kane, the kane is fine but the ruched give more support.

I am experiencing problems in keeping my knee straight I'm sleep.

I noticed that when I stretch my knee out I'm in pain and I will prop it up only to wake up in the morning

with it being bent over a cover for my pillow.

When I go to therapy I can manage the bicycling the leg lifts and the knee crunch

I can do that and manage the pain butt when it comes to the leg stretch in the push down of the knee

that's the toughest.

Any suggest? thank you

• Posted

I'm told it's the bruising that gives the burning feeling and is quite normal and should fade within a week or do.

I have the same problem with extensive bruising.

• Posted

I had my knee replaced 8 days ago as well and I get the burning pain around my knee especially after doing pt exercises, I also get deep aching pain and cramps in my clad and thigh muscle that I cry and wish I didn't fix my knee. My therapist said in time it will get better not to give up.

• Posted

Hi smoozy, it will b 3 months on Feb 8th that I had my tkr and I was the same way. I was in so much pain before I had my knee fixed, but I never knew pain until I had it fixed! I was not prepared at all for that. I have graduated therapy now and I am doing good, but I still am a bit swollen and still have the shooting pains. Hip aches a lot and hurts in my groin area. Doc says that will go away. We will see. I will have to get the other one done in Nov and I'm terrified. I don't want to go through this again but have no choice. I know it seems like the pain will never go away but give it a few weeks. It will lessen little by little. I know it hurts like hell, and I wanted to punch my therapist in the throat lol, but whatever you do please do the therapy if you don't then you have went through hell for nothing. Keep us posted and good luck.

• Posted

It will take time and patience, and also a very deep rooted determination on being consistent. Keep us posted smile

• Posted

Cindy, I had a knee replacement last year, 6 months later I had what's called a revision (replaced the spacer with a thicker one) I am experiencing an incredible amount of pain the full length of my leg, butt to foot, I am being told it's my sciatica and that my back is getting bad...(it's not) every time I move my knee and leg wrong or when I wake up in the morning I'm in the worse pain imaginable, and yes as with your mother I get very close to tears because of the pain, my swelling on the knee is all but gone but my knee is hot to the touch, Dr says give it time..ugghhh...been 4 months still giving it time...By the way I had my other knee replaced 5 years ago with no issues...

• Posted

My tka was alittle over 2 months ago Jan 26 and I still have the pain anything from achy to ice pick sharp. The swelling is still there maybe a little more now because I almost fell and yanked my knee hard so it's swollen still hot and the flexibility I did regain a little like walking down the stairs is gone . I cry over having the surgery done yet the pain in the other knee is worse than what I am going threw now so I will have to get it done.im just miserable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.