Total Knee Replacement -Burning Pain

Posted , 79 users are following.

My mom had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and has severe burning all around the joint. It gets worse when she's sitting and raises her foot up to straighten her leg. She has to do to exercises and the pain was so bad today that she was in tears. The therapist wasn't very helpful and acted like my mom was over reacting. Has anyone else has so much burning after a knee replacement?

5 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Some therapists are really compassionate than others or they think they need to be really firm to get the patient to do what they want but the problem is each patient is different so you won't get the same response. Tell your mom to just take it one day at a time it may not seem like it but each day it will seem a little less painful but not at how many days she is at , at least for me. tell your mom good luck and good healing

• Posted

I had a partial knee replacement 1 week ago and have never experienced such pain in my life . I take my meds I do my therapy and I also do that CMP machine or whatever it's called and that's what sends me over the roof in pain. Am I doing something wrong!i really am a tough girl but right now I have never felt so defeated! I will admit after my 2nd 2 hours on the machine I can't even lift my leg! Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong

• Posted

Hi I am i in week6 of my first rtkr- I thought I was a tough girl too! lol I never did a machine and not any prescribed pt- my knee and I do excercise s everyday to the point of uncomfortable but never tears and I don't excercise past the point of 'I won't walk tomorrow'.  But, how are you doing today? Are you well and recovering ? 

• Posted

I had mine in October 2016, I too have burning & numbness but it's basically the same for all surgeries. My right ankle was done in April of same year & I still have numbness. Its going to be painful but I'm sure your mom will get better through her therapy. I was able to endure my therapy on pain meds. My therapist was excellent, he advised me to take a Norco/Tylenol half hour before therapy.

Hope your mom gets through with this painful stage in her life but will be so much better for it.

Love,

Adriane

Desert Hot Springs, CA

• Posted

I am 72 and had my TKR in 2014.  In my case the surgery is worse that before the surgery.  Your mother MUST exercise and deal with the pain when she is working.  If she doesn't she will get scar tissue that will grow so tight she won't be able to bend her knee and the pain is bad.  I was in a care home for a month after my TKR and I learned just how important it is to work through that pain.  I was able to bend my knee at 90% and it is still good today.  I am in terrible knee pain and don't know what is causing it because x-rays show nothing. 

?I'm sure other TKR patients will tell you how important it is to do your exercises at least two times a day and she needs to walk as often as she can (indoors). 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi cindy just noticed you posted three years ago so hope your better now I'm on day 12 and I'm in agony . Finding the exercises really hard  even though I'm taking lots of pain killers my whole leg aches throbs and stings and is very swollen . The stockings are digging into the back of my knee so that's agony too. I also have a very painful foot feels like its stone cold and really shap pain runs all around it . I've been applying ice to my knee several times a day. But nothing is giving me relief. I can't go to bed cos if my leg touches anything it really hurts. I'm hoping when I have my metal clips out in two days things will get better. I am also dreading it if somthing is wrong because I'm so frightened of having another operation. I was supposed to be having my other knee replacing but won't be now as I never want to go through this again

• Posted

Hi Carol, I had my knee done on 2nd of February and when at 12 days was about the same as you, horrible; but it does get better every day, (though it's not always by much). Now I'm walking several miles a day with my dog and though it's a bit stiff still I'm going to have the other one done, (which I swore I wouldn't at two weeks), so there is hope and the swelling and pain will go but I'd still like to strangle the sod who invented those stockings.

• Posted

Thankyou don for the encouragement . I am at last stating to manage the pain now .i bet your dog his happy with all the walking 
  • Posted

Hello Cindy. I'm Terry and live in the UK.

I left hospital yesterday on my 4th day following a total knee replacement. I am also suffering terrible burning sensations as I stand to straighten my leg. The burning is just above my knee as well as the middle inside of my calf.

I am also a massage therapist so have knowledge that will help myself as well as your mother.

What your mother must realise is that the muscles are in shock as are the tendons and ligaments. I used a cryo cuff on my right knee 3 years ago. No Burning. So now my other half has icepacks wrapped in tea towels will help calm the nerves.

Good luck to you both

Terry

• Posted

Hi, I just had my second TKR 5 days ago . Is your mum using plenty of ice on her knee I find it helps a lot. Plus make sure she takes any meds prescribed on time and use ice after physio. It takes time but hang in there and she will soon have more better days . Take care Susan x
  • Posted

Unfortunately had my knee replaced years ago,still burning pain at night 
  • Posted

It’s been 10 days since my knee surgery and I am starting this type of pain. It horrible. I cannot take a lot of pain medicine because I am sensitive and get sick. So I do ice often. 

The nurses tell me to keep taking pain meds so your meds are ahead of the pain. 

Wish I could help. 

• Posted

So sorry to hear you not coping with the pain . I know exactly what you going through I had an horrendous time. It took me ten weeks befor I could get back in my bed . The really nasty pain has gone now I had my op on 24th may this year , but I’m left with a different problem now. I get lots of pain in the back of my knee , the physio said it was my hamstring and gave me massages but . Now I haven’t had any physio it’s getting really bad again . But like I say the horrible pain you are getting now will subside . It’s really early days for you . Take care carol 
    • Posted

Hi Carol, I also said I would never get it done again, but I had no choice I was wheelchair bound. I had my second tkr on Oct 20th and this time it was totally different. I went through a horrible time with the first one. My blockers didn't take and the swelling was ridiculous. When it came time for this surgery I told the doctor to make sure they put enough medicine in for the blockers to work, and he did thank goodness. He also put a portable drainage tube in that made a huge difference in the swelling. I couldn't believe the difference in the two surgeries! I also have came up with a problem in the back of my knee. It started about a month out and I got to where I couldn't stretch it out or put any weight on it. It was really hindering my pt. I made an appointment with my doctor because I had a huge lump and I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I went from my walker to my cane back to my walker because I couldn't put any weight on it. It was a bakers cyst! (which my pt was the one who told me that's probably what it was) my doctor drained it (painful) and it went down. It felt so much better, but it is filling up again which he said it might, so I will have to have it drained again. He told me it is quite common for this to happen after surgery. Sooo after the long story I just gave you lol, you might look into this as it may be your problem too. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Angel

• Posted

Thankyou for telling me about the bakers cyst I was due to see my consultant in November for my 6 monthly check up but not heard a thing so after Christmas I will ring for an appointment  hope you get on ok  from Carol Reeves 
    • Posted

I wasn't supposed to see my doctor till Jan 18th. But like I said I could hardly walk, I had regressed and was scared it was something else that would cause me to have to have another surgery, and I didn't want that. I know you're not supposed to (I did anyway haha) but look up symptoms and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing. I hope you get to see your surgeon soon and hopefully everything will be fine. Hang in there

Angel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.