Total knee replacement gone bad

Posted , 9 users are following.

Febuary of this year I went for a total left knee replacement, maybe the biggest mistake of my life. First thing I noticed was severe tibia pain and was told this could be a nerve. Began PT 2 weeks after surgery and completed 4 weeks later, still had tibia pain even though walking on it, finally after pressing Dr. CAT Scan was preformed and discovered the implant broke my tibia at the end of the rod 7" into tibia. Began non weight bearing and knee began to swell and infection set in, 8 days in hospital and rounds of antibiotics I was released. A few more weeks and began weight bearing per Dr. orders and 10 days later it broke again. Back on crutches and now my knee is beginning to lock up as if implant is shifted. To get it to become unlocked I have to rub and pull on my knee cap. Any input would greatly be appreciated. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gosh, that's a nightmare, so sorry to hear it. What isv the proposed treatment plan..? To leave and let it heal or 're do it?

• Posted

Two weeks ago I visited the Dr. and he told me to begin walking, I asked him I wanted to see the latest CAT Scan and once I looked at it I told him I would not walk on it at all, eventually via text message he agreed totally with me. In search of new surgeon, going to ER today knee is locking up and quite painful.
    • Posted

Well, my hopes for you are that things get sorted out and move in the right direction.
    • Posted

You've been treated appallingly!  It's horrific!  I think you should sue.  I don't like suggesting people sue the NHS but in this case I think it's right.  He should be struck off.

• Posted

Chris

?Thanks, I'm like you, I have never sued anyone in my life but going on 4 months now I don't know how to proceed without getting another surgeon and starting over. Thanks for your comments

• Posted

Dave do keep us up to date with how you get on.  I know there will be lots of people on here concerned about what's happened to you and we're all hoping that you get this solved in the best possible way.  Still horrified at what they've done to you!

• Posted

Just thinking now - the General Medical Council MIGHT be able to help you and I'm sure would be interested in your case.  Do you have any free legal services with your house insurance?  If so, they might be the best to contact and might even be able to suggest a surgeon to see.  If not, then I think you'll have to go via your GP and ask to be referred for a second opinion at a different hospital URGENTLY!  I don't know how long this would take - it seems to vary in different parts of the country, but if it's an urgent case, then there may be someone who would see you quickly.  I'd have a look on what hospitals you can choose from and see if there is an orthopaedic hospital in your region who seems the most experienced and see what your choices are so you can request where the GP sends you.  There is a lot of info online about different surgeons.  When I went to the GP to ask for a referral I told them what hospital I wanted to go to and what surgeon I wanted, so this is your choice.

• Posted

Chris

?Thanks for the thoughts, I already have legal counsel on this. Yesterday I went to the ER for Xrays to see why my knee was locking up. Thankfully everything looked good on the xrays except there was a tremendous amount of fluid around the knee. The ER Doctors wanted to drain it immediately to relieve the pain and contacted the surgeon to get his approval, of course he denied them from draining the knee. He wants to do it himself which I will not allow after the last time he did it. The ER Doctors said that this has gone on and one of them said "this is something that has gone wrong". They gave me a referral to another surgeon so let's keep our fingers crossed that I can get in to see him quickly.

• Posted

I'm so pleased you've got a referral to another surgeon David.  Yes, I hope you can see him quickly too!  Glad you've got legal counsel too!

Do let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Oh no! So sorry! I have a lot of your symptoms. I told the Dr I felt like my device shifted after being over exercised. I felt a pop & a shifting of something in my knee.

They won't do a CAT scan or MRI. On my 10th wk & I have pain every night and tolerable pain during the day.

I keep getting rest & ice.

So fed up with this!

I hope you are doing better!

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through this, they can do a CAT Scan but I had to press my Dr. for almost 6 weeks and once I had my CAT Scan he text me in a panic and said "Do not put any weight on your leg, Zero", a little late I had been walking on a broken Tibia for 6 weeks. I agree with you on the fed up. My Attorney wants to pursue this but I am not the type to sue.

• Posted

i also had a total knee replacement 3/11/20. But, the Surgeon had to order a different knee implant because I am allergic to Nichol . That was on a Wednesday . that following Monday I was in the surgeons office having two tubes a fluid removed by the P.A. . The P.A. immediately sent me to the hospital to have an ultra sound to check for an blood clot which I did not have . I could not sleep for the pain . The P.A. made contact with my Primary Care Dr. and ordered me a leg compression machine . Two weeks later i seen the Surgeon . He ask me did his P.A. put me on antibiotics , and I told him no. The Surgeon Diagnosed me with Lymphodemia and Cellullitus and put me on antibiotics . He tried 3 different antibiotics and it did not clear up the infection . Over 4 months later I am still suffering from what I think is Inflamation of my knee and my leg is weeping fluid from my leg . I saw the surgeon a month ago and he boldly told me i never did have an infection . My response was then why did you have me in three different antibiotics for three months . His whole body language changed and he became humble . He told me what I was suffering from was Nerve Regeneration because he had to do extensive cutting of my nerves to fit the implant but that there was nothing else he could do for me . So, what type Dr do I see now to get rid of this pain

• Posted

Oh boy!  Horrendous!!!!  This wasn't the implant that was recalled, was it????  Not wanting to panic you, but I remember reading something about the shaft of one that had caused problems that I THINK might be related to this, but I must admit I found it a tad difficult to understand when I was reading about it.  I think there is no answer to this other than going back to see your surgeon!  I'm SO sorry you've had this awful problem!  Just a quick question - are your bones generally strong or do you have osteopenia or osteoporosis or have you ever been tested for those?

• Posted

Thanks for your input. Yes my bones are strong no problems with that. The problem was when he was drilling my tibia he told me he should have drilled 1 mm larger hole and when he put the implant in it broke through my inside portion of the tibia. I could feel the bone through my skin. He told me he saw some translucence in my bone after he installed the lower and did not address the issue while he was in there. At this point I am in search of a new surgeon to get a second opinion.
    • Posted

Oh  good grief!  This sounds like incompetance!  I'm horrified!  I'm SO sorry for you!!!!  This sounds like this man should not be doing this job!

• Posted

no i have never been tested for either . I will have to get the name of the Implant to check it out fur a recall

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.