Total knee replacement gone bad

Posted , 9 users are following.

Febuary of this year I went for a total left knee replacement, maybe the biggest mistake of my life. First thing I noticed was severe tibia pain and was told this could be a nerve. Began PT 2 weeks after surgery and completed 4 weeks later, still had tibia pain even though walking on it, finally after pressing Dr. CAT Scan was preformed and discovered the implant broke my tibia at the end of the rod 7" into tibia. Began non weight bearing and knee began to swell and infection set in, 8 days in hospital and rounds of antibiotics I was released. A few more weeks and began weight bearing per Dr. orders and 10 days later it broke again. Back on crutches and now my knee is beginning to lock up as if implant is shifted. To get it to become unlocked I have to rub and pull on my knee cap. Any input would greatly be appreciated. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had tkr on 11/14/16.  On 12/23/16, I had a terrible pain in the bottom of my leg but thought it was just muscle.  Could not walk on it for 48 hours.  In March of this year it was discovered that I had a fracture at the end my tibial plateau.  Dr. could go in and try to fix it or I could let it heal on its own with just a slight offage on the straighness of my leg.  Chose the latter.  Still hurts a bit but hope it is healing.  Good luck to you.  (I am 69 years old so maybe age et al didn't help.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

I have been told that a tibia break can take 6 months or more to heal completely, sorry to hear that the plateau was broken durning surgery. My break is 7" down at the bottom of the implant and the tip of the implant is just outside the bone, so my break shoved a wedge of bone out. he wants the bone to "bridge" outward and fill in the gaps. time to see another surgeon. Good luck with your fracture and hopefully the worst is over for you.

• Posted

Oh my, Dave, that is a horror story. I am at 15 weeks tomorrow and am still doing PT and dealing with some swelling and a pocket (small) of fluid on the right side of my knee. Doc says no worries. It's getting better every day but YOU are in a world of hurt. Sending positive thoughts your way. Keep us posted as to your activity and healing.

• Posted

Karen

​Thanks for the positive thoughts. I had the fluid issue also and the surgeon came to the emergency room along with my hospitalist Dr. without any lidacaine or anything just rammed a needle into my knee draining the fluid, he sent it off to Baltimore for a special test without saving any for the Infectious Disease Doctor on my case. The Dr. that witnessed this said that was the most barbaric thing he had ever seen. Keep up your great work and keep the range of motion going, I had reached 115 degree range but now it has decreased to probably 50.

• Posted

Just and update, last night the surgeon called me and was inquiring how I was doing. Of course the fluid around my knee is continuing to increase. He asked me if the pain I was feeling where he broke the tibia was all in my head, I took my sock off andtook a picture of the swelling at the break point and sent it to him, of course no response. he asked me if I would be ope to a second opinion because he was missing something. WOW what a shock for a doctor which cut me open tells me he is missing something! Great confidence in him now.
    • Posted

Oh boy!  Get someone else fast!  That's all I can say!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.