Total knee replacement & nerve pain

Posted , 24 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post TKR. The joint & incision feel fine. Although the muscles are tight the range of motion is good. What has me pulling my hair out is nerve pain! The surface of my skin is unbearably sensitive to even the slightest of touch. This, coupled with the occasional burst of lightening down the back of my leg, is making life a living torture! Pain meds do precisely nothing for this nerve pain. Does anyone have any tips for nerve pain relief?

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm still suffering with topical nerve pain with the added bonus of the frequent yet unexpected blasts of lightening that shoot down the back of the leg. All of the meds mentioned in this post (Tramadol, Lyrica, Gabapentin, etc.) have been totally useless. P/T has turned into a torture method worthy of terrorist interrogation. Forcing myself through P/T, to keep range of motion, and encasing the leg in ice have become my sole purposes in life. One other item I've added to my regimen is "Jah Healing Balm" which is very effective at helping the muscles relax a bit. I'll update again in a few weeks, or if I discover a fabulous pain mgmt tool.

• Posted

The absolute best med for topical nerve pain is Voltaren Gel (RX in the USA).  Works great for me when all those meds you mentioned didn't do anything for me either.  

Also consider that you may have a case of sciatica which presents as shooting pain down the leg.  Read the Sciatica Section in the TRK Experience post above.  If that's your problem, you need a chiropractor, not drugs.  A pinched sciatic nerve is very common in TKR patients and has to be corrected by a chiropractic adjustment of your hip and back alignment. My knee surgeon sent me to one immeditely upon the onset of my sciatica.  Consider it...

• Posted

Hi....i agree with Chico about the sciatica being relieved by a chiropractor. The second day after my tkr I experienced that awful shooting pain down the back of my thigh and into my hip/back which I mentioned to my surgeon. He didn't agree it was sciatica saying it had nothing to do with the op . As I'd lived with sciatica for 4 years prior to having my laminectomy I knew it was indeed sciatica. I took myself off to the Chiro who worked his magic on my lower back and I found instant relief. I had 4 sessions with the chiropractor and all is well. Our bodies are designed to be balanced and having knee or back problems can upset the balance. From personal experience I prefer chiropractic treatment to PT treatment as the PT tried to force my poor swollen knee to 120 2 weeks after my tkr and we all know what that feels like! Good luck to all tkr persons out there....have a blessed Christmas and a wonderful new year 😊 🎄 🎅 🌠

• Posted

Hi, Chico Marx & Lesley are both spot on, chiropractic is the best for these problems. I see mine regularly. Lovely lady from USA she really helped in the lead up to my op.

All the best

🎄🎄

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I had both knees replaced July 17th this year, I had the never block I also have rheumatoid arthritis and has not been under control for a while. Surgery went great, not much pain no bruising, I had an easy time got my bend in bith my legs to 120 % within 2 to 3 weeks. During my 3rd week I was gettibg off the toliet and I hard and felt a snap in my rught knee, I fell back on yhe toliet my knee was very sore afterwards and still is 4 months after surgery, Dr looked at my kner said it looked and felt fine and to give it somr time ( my 3 month check up ) . The last few weeks I felt stinging on my knees and top of my feet and I feel unstable like I have no balance when I walk . I had to start using my cain again. Yesterday the day before Thanksgiving my left leg did the same thing my right knee did snap and buckled on me, now both are hurting when I get up and down mostly. I am do fusterated not sure what to think. I am 52 and overweight. I am on steriods till I can get into my rheumatologist.

• Posted

Hi donna59484

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I had bilateral knee replacements in November 2012.

While in rehab both of my knee popped while getting up from the chair. I too have fell unstable. My doctor has taken x-rays after x-rays and tells me nothings wrong! They feel LOOSE, they make noise and don't feel right at all! I'm unable to walk on any uneven surface, not even the sand at the beach or my knees feel like they're going to give out. In 2016 my left hip started hurting very bad. I was in pain 24/7. Went to my orthopedist once again and he told me I had pinched my femoral nerve. I am pretty much couch-bound, bedridden. I've lost a lot of the muscle mass in my left gluteus and my left hamstring. I'm unable to do really anything. My Dr says there's nothing he can do for me. I think this is all because I had my knees replaced. But my Orthopedic said it's nothing he did it's not from the surgery. I know it's not from the surgery it happened when I got up from a sitting position and both of my knees popped that's what it was. I'm curious to know what you've found out, if anything.

Please let me know.

Thanks

• Posted

I'm 4 months out from surgery and still having nerve pain.  Any suggestions?  

• Posted

It feels like i'm getting shocked just a little below the knee cap.  The doctor said that is where he did the most work.  I just get frustrated and think it should be doing better.  The doctor told me to have patience.  I take a long time to heal. 

• Posted

I've been using voltaren gel, seems to help. I'm almost 4 weeks post tkr and still have to take Percocet for pain....is this normal?

• Posted

There is no "normal".  Some people need it longer than others.  When ready, titrate down off the Percocet as you switch to Tramadol and then plain ibuprofen.  That's the typical med path.

• Posted

Hello all,

I am a nursing professional for 4 decades and pretty much a physically fit individual! I have a very successful knee replacement 5 years ago! My 2 Nd knee replacement was difficult from the get go! No pain medication for 41/2 post op. ( surgeon did not write orders) then knee spit out dissolvable suture with skin around it leaving a hole so I had to do wet to dry dressings to resolve ! Then knee inflamed and Motrin and Gabapentin around clock for 3 months! I wore Dynasplint to straighten knee for 3 mths. and  end up with valgus knee due to nerve / muscle damage! ( knee turned in ) Continue with PT and daily exercises at gym x2/3 hours x 3 months now with no change in my condition! I cannot walk without a stick. My knee has a mind of it’s own as it freezes and it can take me 15 mins at times to walk to bathroom as gluteal muscles don’t engage! I have a trendleberg gait ( walk with hips unbalanced ) only since surgery ! Has anyone had this experience or can anyone advise me on what action to take next! If I am on my leg for 2/4 hours the next day is living hell with inner aspect of knee pain! I want to return to work and have a normal life again if possible! Please advise!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.