Total knee replacement & nerve pain

Posted , 24 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post TKR. The joint & incision feel fine. Although the muscles are tight the range of motion is good. What has me pulling my hair out is nerve pain! The surface of my skin is unbearably sensitive to even the slightest of touch. This, coupled with the occasional burst of lightening down the back of my leg, is making life a living torture! Pain meds do precisely nothing for this nerve pain. Does anyone have any tips for nerve pain relief?

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi.nerve pain responds to gabapentin medicine (I think that is spelling of word)

IF pain is nerve related it should lessen the pain to make life more pleasureable-

Sometimes i have taken that.

Codeine helped with some pain.Morphine with some pain.

But gabapentine is focused on nerve-

good luck

• Posted

Jill, it does for some but for others it can cause Stoma h distress and some other issues. Lyrics is another effective drug but insurance companies will sometimes fight it because of cost. Cymbalta is also another nerve blocking med.
    • Posted

OFG1 is correct.  Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Lyrica are specific nerve meds.  Gabapentin can cause huge weight gains; both have lots of side effects.  Cymbalta is an SNRI anti-depressant that works very well for that purpose; some find it helps with pain.  Again, lots of side effects and interaction restrictions.  The biggest problem is that withdrawal from Cymbalta (duloxetine) is VERY difficult for many people...like some describe it as a journey to hell and back  If the pain is only temporary, I would be cautious starting any of these.  If you go that route, do some serious research into these meds.

In the other hand, you can try the Voltaren Gel that I mentioned.  Topical not systemic so almost no side effects and interactions.  Also OTC Aspercream With 4% Lidocaine or OTC Lidocaine patches may help get you over the hump...  All of this lessens over time.

• Posted

i am 10 days post TKR and am experiencing the same kind of nerve zingers to the top of my knee and medial and lateral surface. I am already walking for up to 10 minutes on an uneven surface with a cane. The meds. do nothing and i too am looking for relief. In the hospital they tried to give me Lyrica but i had a bad reaction to the nerve drug so i couldn't take it.

• Posted

Nerpain is nerve pain and it's not going o go away any time soon...especially at 10 days post-op.  This is a year-long recovery and the nerves are the last thing to heal.  I'm 2+ years post-op and still have some numbness on one side.  Plus kneeling down on a hard surface always generates a few zingers...don't think that will ever go away.

The good news is that the extreme nerve pain goes away pretty quickly with the remainder diminishing over time.  I HATE the nerve meds so I use topicals.  While Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is GREAT for inflammation and pain, Ascprecream with 4% Lidocaine or plain Lidocaine patches are good nerve soothers and are OTC.

• Posted

Chico....Thursday morning I finally get the decompression surgery. Dr isn't sure why I'm able to walk with amt of pain I must be in according to the MRI and its 8 months old

Once I get that done I'll be able to figure out how much of the pain was spine and how much was the last couple of knee surgeries.

On the flip side......this will be the saddest, most distressing weekend of my life. Tomorrow I sign the papers to move my wife into assisted living. 60 years and the last thing you ever expect or want is for it to come down to this. 9 years of slow, silent debilitation. I quit complaining about

Walking with pain when she can no longer take a step without a walker and then can do nothing but shuffle.

• Posted

So sorry about your wife...really am.  I had to watch my wife of 8 years have brain surgery when were were married for only 6 months and then see her live in a depressive hell for seven straight years.  ECT brought her back to me but she'll never be the woman I married.  I can't help loving that soul somewhere inside her...will never let her go.  I hope it never gets to that point where I can't care for her anymore but we all have to do what we have to do...

I really, REALLY hope your surgery turns out well.  My first one worked perfectly; my latest in January, not so much.  Starting with a very special PT in Fort Worth on the 11th.  Seems that my fusion last year was TOO good.  So much bone growth around the LLIF device that lots of nerves got compressed.  Laminectomy in January was supposed to fix that.  Kind of did but I still have annoying lower back pain keeping me from hitting the gym to finish off the knee rehab and feeling really healthy.  Four ops in 22 months...never thought I'd ever have to deal with a string like that.

At least I'm still working full time at 70, at 2 1/2 years the knee is just fine, got the ability to climb 2 stairs at a time without holding onto anything but still missing the strength I had before...gotta get that back.  Good luck with the op, old friend...keep your woman in your heart always...

• Posted

Thanks so much....I appreciate it and when it comes from some one that's been through it, it means more. My wife has been in the anxiety, depression for so long and now its heart stopping panic attacks. Last week it was an 11 p.m. trip to ER with bp of 229. I know its the right thing to do but that doesn't make it easier. She'll be 81 in Aug and she's aged 5 years in the last 18 months.

Thanks again and keep on helping others....it softens the blow a little.

• Posted

Hello there,

I had a really tough post operative experience with burning initial pain, inner aspect of knee nerve pain and when touched I would jump! I took Gabapentin 200 msg 3 times per day and Motrin 600 msg with good 3 times per day x3 months! I woke constantly at night with pain ! Thank God I am 8 months post surgery from hell however I never gave up and worked 2/3 hours each day on yoga, Pilates and into alignment classes as well as PT, and cycling my bike each night! I

I was quite emotionally upset at Cmas! Got a nerve study test done and it was normal ! A second opinion helped too however I never doubted my excellent surgeon! 

I am now back to work since April 16 th and without a cane since last week! 

My nerve pain is gone hurrah and my knee inner aspect can be painful occasionally!

I am excited as my gluteal muscled have kicked in and everything continues to turn around! 

I actually walked my dog around 3 blocks without great pain TG! Anc now waiting tio where I can walk 3 miles twice a day uphill around the mountain!

I am dooo very grateful got all my help in my recovery and believe 100% in prayer! My life is now turning around and each new day is s fantastic day as I am truly blessed to be able to walk again without 3 much pain and ! So blessed to be able to walk anc I can still perfect mg walk with time however I won’t give up as my hard work, help and return to work with major preset Vance has paid off and do will yours! Good luck my friend/ your on the way!! Voltaren cream is pretty  great ! Other users cannabus oil - I have no experience with it however believed it can and does help!!

• Posted

I had TKR 8 weeks ago.  I couldn’t take pain relief.  I am not coping with nerve pain behind my knee.  Haven’t slept properly since op.  As with you it’s like an electric shock.  Tramadol was one of the drugs which I couldn’t tolerate.  Does anyone know of any remedies I can buy from chemist?
    • Posted

Diclofenac gel can help with the inflammation and pain.  The nerve pain can be eased with Aspercream With 4% Lidocaine or plain Lidocaine Patches.  There are nerve pain meds but they never worked for me and have lots of side effects.  People on Gabapentin (Neurontin) report 20-pound weight gains the first month.  I avoid the systemics...topicals got me through the worst of it. 

Yes, the nerve sensitivity does diminish in time.  For me, the worst of the nerve pain was gone in the 5-6 month time frame.  However, even at 2 1/2 years, I still experience some when I try to kneel on a hard surface.  Don't do that.  Use a 3"-4" foam pad indoors and padded tactical knee pads for outside work.  Don't think it will ever fully go away.

• Posted

Hi I’m sorry that u r   Suffering  It’s not nice at all I can only  recommend that you go back to see your GP and see if he can give you some pain relief but maybe physio will be the best option  I too am suffering but I feel that they just do not understand how much pain we are in stay positive stay strong 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.