Total knee replacement operation

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my operation on 11th April. I did spectacularly well after the operation and passed my post op checkup with flying colours. I'm not doing so well now, 14 weeks after my operation. I think I overdid things by walking a total of 7 miles in one day 3 weeks ago. I've not been right since. Pain and stiffness. I'm sure I've damaged the replacement but the physiotherapy department at the hospital I'm under assure me that this will not be the case. Any ideas anyone?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm only five weeks out from RTKA, but I've way overdone it a few times and my therapists assure me that I can cause swelling and pain but that I can't damage the implant just by walking too much. I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I'm only five weeks out from RTKA, but I've way overdone it a few times and my therapists assure me that I can cause swelling and pain but that I can't damage the implant just by walking too much. I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Sorry for your pain........I have over - done exercising on occasion as well and there is a price to pay .......I too questioned if the implant was damaged and I was assured the implant is quite tough and it's the muscles / soft tissue that takes the beating and will need rest. It is a process and at 4 months post op I am still working at getting the correct amount of exercise and still gain strength.........Like I have read on this forum , it is a year long journey and I am a believer !! Good Luck !!

• Posted

i am 8 weeks post op and went to the driving range yesterday. My new knee is great but i surely overdid it. How you feel physically and how much exercise your knee can handle are 2 different things. I need to back off and rest before i tackle even 9 holes of golf. I'm 69 yrs old and love golf dammit

• Posted

I'm 9 weeks post op (I had a partial knee replacement) and have overdone it too I think. I did a 2 hour walk in the hills with lots of undulations and a couple of very steep slopes on Sunday. I used my trekking poles but I was in quite a lot of pain afterwards and have been the last 2 days. The worst pain seems to be below my knee-cap. My knee also still feels like it doesn't belong to me. I am constantly aware of it and it feels almost mechanical, like it has metal springs all round it. The sensation is hard to describe. There's a bit of clicking or 'popping' going on too. I really hope this improves. I just want to be climbing hills and mountains again.

• Posted

Me too. I'm in a rambling club and a keen walker. 11 weeks after my operation, I managed to get up Rivington Pike near Bolton. Last week, I went walking with some friends in the Yorkshire Dales. Unfortunately, I couldn't manage the whole walk and we had to get a taxi back to the starting point.

• Posted

I think it's easy to become impatient, particularly if you have a day where you manage quite a bit - you then think, 'great, I can do anything' but it's not the case (yet). I'm planning on a short trip up to The Lake District in a couple of weeks. I'm nearly halfway through the Wainwrights and I know I'm going to be tempted to sneak a summit in when I'm there, but I have to be sensible and sticking to the valleys would make more sense for me at this point probably. We'll get there in the end - luckily, those hills and fells aren't going anywhere!

• Posted

yup i got the good ol clicking and popping as well but that is normal this is my second knee replacement and it took me a year for that painful clicking and popping to go away so you gotta be patient fight through it the end will come as soon as you know it good luck

• Posted

I too over did it 2 weeks after my op, only unlike the rest of all you good people, it wasnt from walking too much. I Decided to change my bed sheets ! My dear husband was brilliant, but I dont think it occurred to him that beds don't change themselves ! I felt fine while i was hobbling around doing it, but oh my goodness! afterwards the pain i was in was nothing compared to the op ! It took us 20 mins to get me in the bed ! I was convinced I'd be back on the operating table ! 'phoned my doctor who assured me my knee would be fine with rest. I slept overnight in the recliner & by morning it was ok again. Phew it really had me worried ! I soon came to realise that PATIENCE is crucial to your recovery. It is not a race, its a long process, your knee will 'talk' to you & tell you when it's had enough. Time passes so slowly in the early weeks, but pass it will. Just do as much as you can. Had my TKR 18mths ago & having second one done in a few weeks. Can't wait to go through it all again ! Haha ! Good luck to you all.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm learning a lot from these comments. I realise now that I've tried to do too much too soon.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 12 weeks RTKR around week 6 I was making progress and had a day where I had physio, alter G treadmill, hoover, shampooed rug, and went swimming felt fine until next morning and could hardly move my knee, it was so stiff and swollen. Saw my physio who totally said I'd way over done it.. She said I had to back off everything, no walks, no swimming just my exercises and plenty of elevation and ice.. I followed her instructions to the letter but took my knee 3 weeks to recover.. But I'm learning to listen to my knee and that less is more, little and often with rest and ice as much as you can. This journey is a long one and takes time and patience.. Good luck. X

• Posted

nah you didn't damage it i had my surgery April 30th we are still fresh outta surgery i was told give it a year and things will start to subside, swelling and stiffness is normal continue your therapy and continue to ice and elevate your leg and you will be fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.