Total knee replacement planning!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a relative newby on this site which I am following as I am looking to start this process off. I follow a lot of discussions and am doing a lot of research including last night watching a video of an actual operation!! 

I am 59 and have had osteoarthritis for a number of years gradually worsening. I struggle with stairs(moved to a flat 4 years ago) had to change from a bath to a shower and find standing up from a sitting position difficult. Kneeling has been impossible for a number of years....even just walking sone days....!! I'm sure you all know the problems! I had an arthroscopy a few years ago and the orthopaedic surgeon said I needed new knees but as I was only early 50's then to put it off as long as possible. Steroid injections only last about 2 weeks. I read that NICE now recommends that knees are replaced before they get too bad as this can cause more problems after surgery so I am seeing my GP on Friday to ask for a referral to request TKR.

i feel I am preparing myself and making a note of all hints and tips from this site together with medications, icing, massage, Physio etc.

What I am wondering is what others did before their operation? Did they look at this forum? Did it change their mind??!! I obviously hasn't changed mine - yet! 

I find it hugely helpful and inspirational reading all the posts both positive and negative and thank everyone for sharing their experiences.

Gill 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gill

Assume you didn't get to your consultant in time for an opinion to take, grow more and then insert new cartlidge? I was offered this but by the time I saw my consultant it was too late :-(

If I knew what I know now would have insisted on annual check ups on my knee.

Keep your muscles surrounding knees as strong as possible so as much exercise as you can do.

Have you discussed the hyaluronic injections - I don't know much but worth a try.

Main thing is that you have found this Forum prior to your possible options so you are well prepared - I think most of us first timers weren't and it is a massive shock.

Wish you well, Tracey

• Posted

Thanks Tracey. I can only go on what the surgeon said after my arthroscopy and also I did go to see a Physiotherapist last year to see if she could help,but she said they were beyond hope!!

kind regards,

Gill

• Posted

We must always question our surgeons!

They are doing a very important job for us!

Good luck.

• Posted

I waited until I couldn't  bear it any longer before I had my TKR. I looked at the profiles of the local surgeons and picked the one I thought would be best.  I wasn't on any forums but I wish I had been as It would have reassured me about some of the things you experience after surgery. I am 62. I stopped using sticks at 6 weeks, back at work after 8 weeks.  I'm nearly 9 months post op now and have been going to the gym for a  few months.  I am feeling better and looking better than I have for years. The knee doesn't feel the same as my other one but I don't care as it doesn't hurt.  You do have to push the pain barrier to get full mobility. I've had no problems with any of my other joints. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks! Sounds like you're doing really well! I wondered if many had found this forum before or after!

kind regards,

Gill

• Posted

Hi Gill,

I had my TKR 6 months ago and am now waiting to have my other knee done.

I only found this forum after I had had it done and found it really helpful. Everyone is different in the way they cope but I know most people struggle at some time and this site really helps. Especially when you have a down day there is always someone to lift you up.

• Posted

I'm sure this forum will be my best friend in the coming months! 

Kind regards,

Gill 

• Posted

Hi Gill. I am 53 and gphad my op 9 weeks ago. Like you I had suffered for years and my surgeon said the same - too young, need to wait. Well he dragged it out for a further 4 years before my knee got so bad he could do nothing else but replace it.  I am mad as Hell with both him and myself. I wish I had gone to another consultant and  had it done years ago. I am struggling a bit with swelling and not a great bend due this swelling, but it is getting better. If and when you have your knee done, make sure you get advice for meds and take the right ones for you.  Also exercise, ice and elevate.  It does help. I wish you all the best lovey. R xx
    • Posted

Thank you Ruby! Your story is really helpful. I have already lined up the Physio I saw last year and will have additional sessions with her as I don't know what I will get from my Health Authority. I am hopefully choosing, via NHS Choices, a private hospital that I have had other unrelated things treated on the NHS and was very impressed with them. Also, that way the surgeon I see will be the one that does the op. When I had my veins done at the local hospital the surgeon was called away at the last minute and a junior doctor and a senior nurse did a leg each! Bet you can guess which was best and healed better!! I am trying to plan it for early February as we are on holiday over Christmas and into January.

kind regards,

Gill 

• Posted

I wish I would have found this site before my surgery I didn't but I'm so glad now I can refer back to it and ask questions cuz it has helped me so much good luck with you I am only 48 and had both of mine done it can be done and you will be thankful
  • Posted

I found the forum before my op and neartly changed my mind after reading all the scary stories. Luckily I didn't because I really had no alternative except a wheel chair.. I only had 7 weeks between consultation and op  Now 4 weeks post op and it's usually all forward with a little back. I'm looking forward to each phase. It was great when the crutches went. Great when I rode the bike (I couldn't have done that before) and my next aim is to drive once  more. Just wish I could sleep!!!
    • Posted

Hi Carol. Sounds like you are doing well with the bike and you are making good progress. Don't sleep well now so not much chance after!! Thank goodness for my Ipad and my Kindle!

Kind regards,

Gill

• Posted

Finally had a full sleeplastnight, 9 hours! Trouble is I didn't want to wake up this morning I was enjoying myself too much! biggrin
    • Posted

I hope so too but you know what this journey is like, ups and downs all the way. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.