Total knee replacement planning!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a relative newby on this site which I am following as I am looking to start this process off. I follow a lot of discussions and am doing a lot of research including last night watching a video of an actual operation!! 

I am 59 and have had osteoarthritis for a number of years gradually worsening. I struggle with stairs(moved to a flat 4 years ago) had to change from a bath to a shower and find standing up from a sitting position difficult. Kneeling has been impossible for a number of years....even just walking sone days....!! I'm sure you all know the problems! I had an arthroscopy a few years ago and the orthopaedic surgeon said I needed new knees but as I was only early 50's then to put it off as long as possible. Steroid injections only last about 2 weeks. I read that NICE now recommends that knees are replaced before they get too bad as this can cause more problems after surgery so I am seeing my GP on Friday to ask for a referral to request TKR.

i feel I am preparing myself and making a note of all hints and tips from this site together with medications, icing, massage, Physio etc.

What I am wondering is what others did before their operation? Did they look at this forum? Did it change their mind??!! I obviously hasn't changed mine - yet! 

I find it hugely helpful and inspirational reading all the posts both positive and negative and thank everyone for sharing their experiences.

Gill 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gill,

i am 13 weeks pits op TKR . I think I am doing really well, and had an easier journey than a lot.. I did start doing exercises before the op . The main 2 being .laying on the bed . Push your leg / knee into the bed pulling your toes up towards you . Hold for  a while then relax then repeat . The other,  either when sitting or laying lift your whole leg about 12 ins and hold straight to count of 10 then release  and repeat . These exercises help to build the muscles . You will do the same exercises after the op , and find them much easier to do . I am sure it helped my recovery . Hope this makes sense . I have to have my other knee done next year, and this  op hasn't put me off. Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks for that Pam! I will start doing the exercises you say now.

many thanks and kind regards,

Gill X

• Posted

Hi Gill me,  seems I'm in the same position as you. I'm waiting for a date for my TKR which was cancelled for tomorrow. 

I also watched a little of some op on you tube for about ten minutes and then decided not too, and I'm glad I did that.

I'm using this forum as a guide to help me post op

• Posted

It was my second attempt at watching but I had read that someone's surgeon said they should watch it to understand what your knee goes through and it certainly made me realise when it will be so painful! Hope you get a new date really soon.

• Posted

hi , i have had two knees done ,one in feb amd the other in august ,im only 53 and i think i was lucky,my right knee had been giving me jip about jan 2013 ,i had an x-ray done in april ,followed by the other knee starting ( both knees didnt give me any break at all ) ,i had another x-ray on my left knee , while i was waiting to see some one over the right knee ,work got too hard for me and i went off sick ,i was working full time in a school ,feeding all the kids and staff around 1700 in one hour and 40 mins ,so a very hard job to do while walking all day . i saw some one in july who gave me an injection in my right knee and told me to go back to the gp . in august i saw my consultants , registar who recomended me to have insoles in my shoes and took more x-rays ,and thought i would have a half replacement in both knees . he told me that i was bone on bone with both ,so of i went and bought the insoles while i waited for the hns ones to arrive , 3 weeks later i  went to pick them up and they then ordered me a pair of braces ,all of these things didnt work for me ,so back of the gp , who was not very pleased and got back in touch with the consultant and asked if he would see me again of which he did in november 2013 , he said that the pain i was having didnt match the x-rays and then ordered an mri scan and said that he would see me in about 8 weeks time (giving 4 weeks wait for the scan results and 4 weeks for him to look at them , all over christmas ) i then saw him again to collect the results in january , i was put on the waiting list aprox 8 weeks , 3 weeks later i had been and had the right one done ans was back home ,when i went for the 6 week check up things were looking great , i had all the movement ,did the exercises etc , when i asked about the left knee,he said about 6 months you need time to recover ,3 months later i went back , he was pleased and put me back on the list ,another 3 week gone and im back home all done , so ive had 2 tkr s done in 4 and a half months , and i will not say its easy , i swam dailey from oct to feb ,and back to the pool 8 weeks post op both times , it is a painfull op and the lack of sleep is bad , but do your exercises and build up the legs , dont over do things , take things nice and slow ,and if you can allow people to help you at home . in two weeks im back at work ,cant wait , so in 21 months ive started and finished with it all , you will have a lot of pain and lack of sleep but well worth it . good luck ,x
    • Posted

Wow Debbie that was a lot of messing round before you got anywhere! But you have done really well since! I have had the same issue with X-rays as they don't show the state of my knees and the consultant was shocked hiw bad they were when he did my arthroscopy. Hopefully when I see someone this time they will understand or do a MRI as I believe that shows the true picture.

good luck on your return to work.

kind regards,

Gill 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.