Total Knee Replacement_7 months on

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had a total knee replacement and can't straighten my knee no matter how much physio I do, it's about 10 degrees off straight.

I have lost patience with my surgeon, he says my knee may stay that way forever!

I think I have Arthrofibrosis?

I have read earlier forums and MUA and Lysis of Adhesion surgery have been mentioned.

Should I wait 12 months before asking about Lysis of Adhesion surgery?

My knee is stiff and still slighty swollen, I can bend it to about 80 to 85 degrees.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Kack,

I am having a revision of a knee repaired 28 months back. The best advise i received was to ask for 2 references from my primary physician. The idea was to get separate second opinions fr ortho surgeons.

I will have a revision due to metal sensitivity and malalignment.

Separate opinions will give you some further basis on future actions. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I went for a second opinion at a different hospital (Bradford) and the surgeon basically said make do with what you have, there is going to be no Manipulation under anesthetic. The surgeon at the second hospital did an examination of my knee and said it bent 90 degrees, I couldn't believe it , I had to say my knee is no where near 90 degrees more like 80 degrees!!!! The surgeon said I was being difficult.

With going for a second opinion at a different hospital, the surgeon who did the operation as discharged me.

• Posted

My surgeon took offence to me getting a second opinion, so he discharged me. I wasn't bothered he was very rude and unhelpful in giving advice.

• Posted

i would ask for a 2ND opinion. I had a TKR on my left knee Nov 2019. I could never do leg raises and my knee cap had snapped and was sitting on the outside of my knee. 8 weeks ago i had a revision TKR.My first TKR the leg was not straight. I can now do leg raises and am walking without a limp. Push for other opinions.

• Posted

Im having a revision also in several months. Was your first TKR Nov 2018 instead of 19?? because you said 8 weeks ago you had a revision..... so , question.? was your revision easier or harder than the original TKR?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it sounds like you have had it far worse than me?

I went for a second opinion at a different hospital (Bradford) and the surgeon basically said make do with what you have, there is going to be no manipulation under anesthetic. The surgeon at the second hospital did an examination of my knee and said it bent 90 degrees, I couldn't believe it , I had to say my knee is no where near 90 degrees more like 80 degrees!!!! The surgeon said I was being difficult.

With going for a second opinion at a different hospital, the surgeon who did the operation as discharged me.

• Posted

KACKKNEE....My original surgeon hadnt discharged me. He wanted to do more surgery on my knee cap. I didnt feel he had the expertise i needed as he had earlier expressed he hadnt encountered my problem in years. The second surgeon was the head of surgery at an orthopedic hospital. He said my surgery was urgent and he did it the next month.

• Posted

JEANO I think you mis read my message, my surgeon has discharged ME because i went for a second opinion at a different hospital.

• Posted

when i said you've had it worse than me, i meant knee problems!!!!

• Posted

Looking back on the past year, my only wish was that my original surgeon had recognized he didnt have the expertise and admit it. He wasted 10 months of my life trying braces etc while the new surgeon said braces would never correct my problem. In h ind sight, I should have pushed sooner for a 2nd opinion. However, i am so pleased with my revision knee. Life is good.

• Posted

its hard to trust anyone now a days, my surgeon never answered any off my questions, like i wasnt worthy of an answer. i lost faith in him. i had a panic attack hours before my last visit to see him, he was horrible and apparently prefered private patients.

• Posted

And what was the difference in the post op , from the original surgery to the revision? Easier??? Worse????

thanks, Martha

• Posted

MARTHA ...the post op on the revision was much easier. I was off pain meds within 2 weeks. One difference was that i did not go to physio. I was given 4 exercises and told not to bend the knee more than 90. Even the hospital physio was only 2 exercises till 3 weeks. I had to be careful as i had a lot of internal stitches that had to heal. Since week 5 I have been back at the gym and do a 45 min workout. my friends at the gym are amazed at the difference.

• Posted

That is awesome to read... thank you for replying. My revision is in April. M

• Posted

Good luck with your revision. My surgeon said this is different from your other surgery. He said with a revision you dont push the knee. my first week not to go past 45, after that not to go beyond 90 till my 6 week check up. I didnt go to physio as he felt they would be too aggressive but I did all the exercises that he recommended every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.