Total left knee replacement in 6 wks or so. I am 65 soon to be 66. I have been doing pool exercises

Posted , 17 users are following.

Please only give me encouraging advice. I cancelled this 1 year ago because I was scared to death! Now I am a warrior! Spinal issues too so this might be a challenge. Wear heavy knee brace when I go out, go slow with cane or Walker, that bad now. I can do this, right? I live alone but will have some help come.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kathryn. Took me 18 months to recover. That's my reality. I am feeling pretty great and can do stuff I could not do before like walk! I am pain free. It takes some people a lot of time to get over the op and rehab but it's worth it. Xx

• Posted

Yeah! It is novel just being able to walk without trouble! Still bringing enjoy and surprise, feeling goooooooooood!
  • Posted

Hi Kathryn,

Just think of all the things you cannot do now and how the operation will change your life..I had my operation 2 weeks ago , yes I was afraid however I was walking with a limp , had severe back pain because of the way I walked and could no longer do all the things I love like swimming, going on long walks etc...look recovery is different for everyone however I can now get about with just 1 crutch, can now shower on my own and feel very optimistic about my future and am making plans for a holiday next year ...

• Posted

I had spinal for my op for the very first time Blooming Marvellous having it again in a months time for my second TKR I'm sure you know all the advice to be done so all I can say is be positive and you will not regret when AFTER you heal a new you xxx

• Posted

Hi Mary x

i had a spinal for my op it was great I said when I have my left knee done I would have it again X 

• Posted

You have answered your own question by saying you are a warrior. Hold onto that mentality and it will help you immensely. Take all the help you can. Best wishes to you for your journey!
  • Posted

Yes, you can do this. Have faith in your surgeon, take it easy on yourself and know it improves. I did not have unbearable pain before I did my right knee 6 weeks ago tomorrow so for me recovery pain has been a bit of shock but others who suffered immense pain before found great relief almost immediately. It will be worth it. It's gonna be ok and you're still young lol. 

Keep up with pain meds they help make everything comfortable enough to move forward. I tried to cut mine down way to soon. I am now listening to my body and staying ahead of the pain. Ice to is great. 

Wishing you all the best in recovery. This is also such a great sight for support when you need it! You're not alone. 😊

• Posted

Hi Kathryn, my mum's 83 and had a TKR 8 weeks ago. She has always had chronic back pain and a broad selection of other health issues including arthritis and fibromyalgia.

Well, she's now doing GREAT with her new knee! I'm not pretending that she's not been in pain and still doesn't experience strong spasms, nor can she run a marathon, but she does all of her exercises as instructed and has been walking without crutches or stick for a few weeks. Due to the replacement, her knee no longer gives way every day and I am much less worried about her falling . At first, she swore that she wouldn't have a second knee done (she needs it!) but already she's thinking about having the other replaced too. Obviously this won't be imminent but the fact that she is looking forward, is a good sign. Please try and get as much help as possible for your first week or two afterwards. I moved back in with my mum for two weeks, mainly to help her in and out of bed / chairs and on the stairs. She managed stairs quite well but I was more concerned about a fall. My mum just continued in her usual method, of walking downstairs backwards, so was fine. You may not need this level of support, but accept any help that's available! I'm really pleased with my mum's progress and she can't believe how far she has come in such a short time.Try to get some 'safe' exercises for your back, as while you are sitting down a lot during your first weeks you may have a worsened back problem. I bought my mum a pedal exerciser but this us not good for her back so she does other exercises instead. Good luck and as I said, my mum's 83 and doing brilliantly!

• Posted

I am 68. Had my TKR done i Sweden. 2014. Post operative infection.Been limping and in pain since my operation. Now, I can finally walk unaided. Driving no problem. I drive like the wind. My job motoring editor. Regarding 'Spinal' don't worry. Just make sure with the anesthesiologist that he/she will give you enough propofol ( the late Michael Jackson favorite drug). You'll be so relaxed! Good Luck Bangkok-Johnny 

• Posted

OK you ask for encouraging advice and fortunately I am able to give you just that.

I had TKR 5 years ago when I was 61.

It has been a complete success, it really is like having my life back.

And an added bonus!!

I had my left knee replaced and had bad osteoarthritis in my right ankle following a fracture when I was in my early teens.

Now my left knee has been replaced my right ankle has also greatly improved.

I think it is just that I am now distributing my weight better.

I would really encourage you to go for this. I too live on  my own.

Don't get me wrong here it is a long recovery period but if it is a success all that will be well worth it.

Let me know when you are having the operatiion.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Kathryn. First of all, yes, you can do this. Stay positive and tell yourself repeatedly that you can do it and you will.

It is two and a half weeks since my TKR and to be honest it hasn't been that tough,although I will admit that I am very lucky in that respect. I'm sure it is to do with the frame of mind you are in. I saw it as a personal battle, the more pain I had the stronger my resolve became. I read that around 70,000 people have a knee replacement in the UK each year, 80% on women, some much older than you or I so you won't be alone in what you experience. Knee replacement is one of the most successful  orthopedic operations carried out as well. So stay strong and give it everything you have got, I'm sure you will do just fine.

Best wishes

Tony

• Posted

I'm 66 and had TKR May 2017. I live alone and found the following preparations helpful to have already in place before I was discharged from the hospital: extension grab it stick to reach things on the floor or high up; shower chair; stocked freezer and refrigerator with prepared foods, books or reading material, bedside water pitcher, bedside phone, ( I carried a portable phone with me in a small bag and had it within reach when showering in case of emergency) bedside commode if you get up frequently during the night, paper plates, cooking utensils within easy reach. I also had a folding chair available near areas where it might be difficult to stand for long like near the kitchen sink/stove. Be sure to take pain meds on schedule, ice as prescribed, elevate your leg and do the exercises. You will do great!

• Posted

Hi Kathryn!

You and I are the same age. I had my left knee replaced in June of 2015 and my right knee replaced three and a half months after that in October 2015.

Prior to my surgeries I needed to sit down a lot because my knee pain was excruciating. Shopping was agony. I even contemplated whether I should walk across the grass rather than along the sidewalk and down the driveway to the mailbox-- just to save a few painful steps!

I finally HAD IT when I literally was unable to put ANY weight on my left knee and needed to use CRUTCHES for several days in May 2015. I figured THAT was my wake-up call. I called my doctor to set up an appointment.

In looking at my x-rays from four years earlier compared to that visit my legs had bowed, I was bone-on-bone, and I was literally walking on about one-inch sections of each knee! My doctor said I was DEFINITELY now a candidate for knee replacement.

I was THRILLED to hear that I DID now have a change for a better life! We scheduled my first surgery for three weeks from that day! Of course there was recovery time and swelling and re-learning how to do things while using a walker, then a cane, but I NEVER AGAIN experienced the terrible pain from before surgery.

At my check-up for Knee #1 I asked Doc when he could do my OTHER KNEE. He was surprised I was bringing up the issue so soon I think, but it was clear to me that ALREADY my surgical knee was STRONGER, and STEADIER than my not-yet-operated-on knee! I wanted TWO GOOD KNEES!

Surgery with #2 went even smoother than with #1. I was out of the hospital in two days instead of three. Swelling was less. I knew the ropes and was able to do things easier with two knees that were cooperating with me!

Focus on the end game.

Focus on "temporary inconvenience, PERMANENT improvement".

If you are a believer, PRAY FOR STRENGTH and COURAGE!

My knee surgeries are the two best things I have done for my health and well-being.

Sending prayers for you today!??

• Posted

Thank you for your story! We are much the same, bowed leg, bone on bone etc. I am attending a 1 1/2 hr class at the hospital regarding knee replacements. I have all home care equipment, but I live on the top level of my apartment,( 24 steps) After the surgery I will end up going backwards on my seat to the top! Plan to stay until next spring!!!! Unless a second floor opens, don't like 1st floor very well unless they can find me a garage.

I am a Catholic and am praying to be a soldier in all this. I don't like constant pain. I am waiting to take a nickel allergy test on the 20th then my doctor will schedule the surgery. Did not want to do this in winter so I hope to get it over before Thanksgiving.

Bless all of you for your information!

Kathryn

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

I am 71 and 7 weeks post-op rtkr. As most of us on this forum will tell you, the first several weeks are the hardest, but each week that follows shows improvement. 

I am now walking without a cane or walker,  going to PT 3 times a week, doing light housework, driving my car, etc.  Yes, my leg is still stiff and a little tight, but it lessens everyday.  Have to admit I too, was scared, but that is natural..,all will be worth it!

Best advise, make sure you have your house ready for when you return home after surgery.  And have someone available to help you the first few weeks.  Try to prepare some meals and freeze them.  

Best of luck to you, all will be fine!

Many blessings,

Cherry 🍒 

• Posted

Thank you for your ideas! I will have home care come in and help me. I have scoliosis and severe steosis so my left leg drags which causes my imbalance plus the blasted knee won't hold me up! I have to laugh a lot for people look at me and think is she going to make it? Yes, with God's help, I will!!!

Again thanks for all the encouragement!

Kathryn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.