Total meltdown

Posted , 16 users are following.

Don't know what's happening to me. I am 12 weeks post operation on second knee and today I went shopping with my husband. Everything was all right and I was relatively pain free but somehow because my husband kept fussing and asking if I was feeling all right I completely lost it and we ended up having a big row and coming home without any shopping done. Then I have spent the rest of the day crying for no apparent reason. I told my husband I am fed up of being held back because he says I need to take it easy. Also so sick of everyday being about knees. It Is 12 months since my first operation so feel like for the past 2 years all we have discussed is my knees. I just want to be back to normal. I know my husband is as baffled as I am and wonders what life has in store for us next. Does anyone else feel like this ? X

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Joan

I'm a month (almost) post operative and have found the whole experience horrible. The pain is one thing but the emotional toll, that's quite another altogether. I think you've been terribly brave. I'm regretting even having mine done at this stage. I was totally unprepared for both the physical and emotional toll it was going to take. Try to be kind to yourself. My husband is about the same as what you are describing, and I guess it is hard - only we know what it feels like. I get mad when the tries to explain my pain to me!  It is so hard, but at least a forum such as this provides people who hopefully might be able to provide a little emotional support. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Dear Joan, It's normal for your husband to fuss. It's only because he cares but I can understand how you feel. I haven't got to the point where I have to have my knees done. I just suffer from arthritis at this point and my doctor suggested I do as much walking as possible, go swimming -  I can't swim! or use an exercise bike - which helps a lot! I think you and your husband need to sit down and talk. The best way of coping with something is not worrying about it too much. As for what life has in store for you. Who knows and all you can do is live each day as it comes. I wish you all the best and remember you are very lucky to have a husband who cares so much you just need to get him to understand that overly fussing can be unnerving! Love G x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.