Total right knee peplacement on 16 October 2018

Posted , 6 users are following.

Am I in the minority? Had minimal pain after surgery, and stopped using a cane or walker after 2 weeks. At my first physical therapy appt, was told that I was already at 125 and did not need any more therapy. I have minor swelling and stiffness if I am on my feet too much or sit for too long. I am having the left knee done in March. My question us this: how long will the swelling and stiffness usually last? Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had my knees done 2 years ago. Now and then they swell or hurt. But the major swelling lasted only about 3 months on the first knee and 5 months on the second. I got very tired of icing. I guess I am normal. But no two people or knees are the same.

• Posted

Thank you for responding! I am truly hoping that the left knee will be the same as the right!

• Posted

Yes, you are unusual. Most people have way more pain and take a lot longer to achieve their ROM. You've been lucky. However, the vast majority of bi-lateral people report that the second knee was unlike the first, for good or bad. So caution...do not expect #2 to be as easy as #1. You may be double lucky and experience the same quick recovery but don't be surprised if it's different.

Stiffness...can last 12-18 months. It goes away so gradually that you never really notice it. The swelling can be caused by the pressure you're putting on the knee vs. the surrounding musculature. With atrophied quads, glutes, core, abductors, etc, the knee takes all the daily abuse and swells. This is normal until you do the mandatory muscle rebuild. These can help...

Post-TKR Exercising

Other Pain After a TKR

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response! I learned a lot more from your post than I did from my doc and the pt people! I don't think I feel pain like most people, I fell and fractured my wrist, no pain. I had to have hardware installed, but the wrist slipped and the screws were acting like sandpaper on the bone, no pain unless I tried to use the wrist. Hardware was remove almost a year later, again no pain. I was worried about the TKR thinking this might give me more pain, but I never took any pain meds. Now I am worried that the left knee might be the one to give me problems. Only time will tell! I have only had 11 surgeries, and have never taken pain meds after any of them. I will post in March and let everyone know how it goes!

• Posted

Your definitely in the minority.

I read somewhere that 1 in 6 have no problem with TKR.

I had a torrid time but my husband like yourself had no problem.

I know of another person that had no problem with first TKR but second was completely different and they had fierce pain etc etc.

• Posted

Thank you for your response! I'm really hoping that the left knee will do the same as the right!

• Posted

not only are you on minority, you are an inspiration! I had my right knee replaced April of 2018, and getting left knee replaced in May of this year. that's wonderful that you don't have anymore PT good luck to you...

• Posted

Thank you for your response! I think I had an easy time because my son has a epilepsy, and my significant other had surgery on his shoulder. I had to take care of them and myself at the same time! I really hope that you have an easy go of it this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.