Tramadol side effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

My Doctor just prescribed 50mg. of Tramadol for extreme Fybromialga pain which I have had for 2 years now. I've only been on it for a little more than a week and I'm not liking the side effects. I feel "strange" (not high), having a hard time thinking straight, racing thoughts, etc. I feel like at some points I got a little pain relief but then other points I feel worse. I know that you need at least two weeks to let medicine really get into your system and that side effects can go away in time. Just curious has anyone else experienced any of these mental type symptoms.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I had those side effects within 24 hours of starting Tramadol, my symptoms got a lot worse to the point my face drooped like a stroke. It was a bad reaction to the Tramadol, the docs said it was because they are opiates and too strong for me and my body and brain didn't agree with them. Personally I'd stop taking them and ask the doctor for something else. I was off work for 3 months following what happened to me.

• Posted

Yeah thanks for your reply I can't even function I feel just crazy. I'm due to go to Doctors in a few days. Thank God it will only have been a couple of weeks that I've been on it and that I can get off of it as soon as possible!

• Posted

Also that's quite concerning about your stroke like reaction. Sorry to hear you went through that. Hope you are way beyond that now.

• Posted

Yeah all good thanks Karen but took me 6 months to feel better and a year to fully get over the experience. I now call it Tramadevil! It really is an evil drug!
  • Posted

Hi I am coming off tramadol at 37.5mg at the moment daily and the reason I want off it is the weird things it does to your mind with very little pain relief I find that it's like someone else inside your head thinking and acting for you.hope this helps I myself have been on this drug a year and can't wait to get off it to be my self again.

• Posted

So much for Doctor supervision. I made a executive decision and did not take my night dose and don't plan on taking any tommorow. Have a follow up Dr. visit in a few days and will take it from there.

• Posted

Dear Karen,,you MUST STOP taking these Tramadol right away..they are addictive.I know i have been on them for years and cant get off them.

If you think the side effects of taking them is bad,then wait a few of months and try coming off,,you will soon find out what side effects really are.

regards

Andrew

• Posted

Yes I hear they're very addictive but for me I'm certainly not going to get addicted to something that makes me feel absolutely crazy. Hoping because it's only been a couple of weeks that there won't be much of a withdrawal. Thanks for your replies

• Posted

Totally agree with all of the above. Its not called the devil drug for nothing ! I was in a very small dose for 4 mths (1 - 2 caps per day). I never really felt right on it but my goodness when I stopped I had the most terrible withdrawal. 3 weeks later anxiety hit me full on.

Get off it now while you can and good luck

• Posted

Just curious what specific withdrawal symptoms are people referring to?
    • Posted

Hi Karen, I can only speak for myself bit fatigue, nausea which was terrible and the most awful cold sweats. 3 weeks after finishing I was hit by the most terrible anxiety . This was a totally new experience for me but it took me 6 mths to improve and that's with the help of antidepressants which I didn't want either. Also I lost two and a half stone in weight. I was a mess and will never touch them again. How are you today?

• Posted

Actually believe it or not I'm already starting to feel a little better. Correction on amount it was 50mg every 12 hours. Did not take dose last night or this am. My side effects we're many - sweats, confusion, fatigue, anxiety, racing thoughts, difficulty making decisions, and a general just not feeling comfortable in my own skin. And all that and with no pain relief! Previous to all this my doctor tried me on the Butrans patch and that was pretty bad - very sedated. I didn't last on that more than a week either. I tell you what the Tramadol was much worse. Have a doctor's appointment in a couple of days. At this point not sure if there's any other alternatives for me. Thanks for asking and checking in it's nice to have a place to chat with people because people around you just don't understand. It's bad enough they don't understand fibromyalgia.

• Posted

Hopefully you will feel better soon I am now on 37.5 per day slowly does it butrans burned my skin so can't use either have you ever tried versatis patches it lidocaine based wear for 12 hrs I find them very useful,hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.