Transitioning to weight bearing

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi! I'll be @ 12 weeks next tues. I'm hoping my Tibia has healed enough to start weight bearing activities.  Can anyone share your experience transitioning to WB?  Also, it is my right leg so no driving thus far.  How long once I can bear weight till I can drive?  Going crazy here! 😓

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am very interested in this discussion because I got the go ahead for WB today on my left ankle and foot that I broke 7 weeks ago. I have a plate and 8 screws.  The little weight I put on my foot today felt tingly and some sharp pain... 
    • Posted

Hi Peggy,  thought I'd check in with you to see how your first few days of WB has been.  Hope your doing great!!! Rhonda

• Posted

Hi,

I had an ORIF broken fibula, dislocated ankle and torn ligaments in my left ankle on July 13th.  After the first surgery I had a plate and eight screws put in.

After several casts and another surgery to remove bone chips, I finally graduated to an air cast a few weeks ago and told I could WB up to 20lbs.  It did feel strange to finally put weight on it, but did not feel any pain.

On Sept. 27th, the two large screws were removed (ugly procedure) and tomorrow, Wed. I get the stitches removed. 

I am lucky that it was my left ankle as who knows how long it would be before I could drive again...thursday is 12 weeks for me.  Everyone's healing pace is different of course, but I would be surprised if you were able to drive anytime soon...sorry, just my opinion.  It just takes patience and time to be totally weight bearing.

I truly hope that you have a speed recovery and that you are able to drive very soon.  I hope I haven't been too discouraging.

Good Luck  smile

Deb

• Posted

I broke my right ankle and after 6 weeks of being in  a cast I moved to weight bearing as tolerated in an air boot.  Within a week I was at full weight bearing and a few days after that, pretty much able to FWB with no aids. I am now transitioning out of the boot. I can pretty much out 75% weight on my foot with a crutch or walker to give stability and security. I can also stand up on both feet for brief periods of time. I figure I will be fully transitioned within  another 10 days. That will bring me to 10 weeks. I hope to get the OK to drive by week11!

Good luck with your recovery, it is frustrating and challenging and requires patience!

• Posted

Hi

I was just reading this thread, I had my cast removed last Tuesday and was told I can start weightbaring. Today is a week on and I can stand(with and without boot) but that is as far as I have got. I think alot of it is psychological, and it is really getting me down.

My ankle is still swollen and frozen. Original injury was shattered Tibia and break to the Fibea that spiralled and also affected the pivitol joint of my ankle. I have 2 plates and lots of screws.

I am amazed at you beinf full weight baring after one week and really would appreciate any advice and to hear how you are getting on now.

Sorry to go on!

Thanks

Elaine x

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I broke my tib 12 weeks ago tomorrow. I had my cast off 3 weeks ago, and have had the ski boot offering since, with WB. In all honesty, I haven't really worn it much the last couple of weeks as I feel it needs some light exercise and movement rather than being shut away in the boot. With support, I can put some weight on my right ankle now which is positive, and I have started light resistance spinning. In all honesty, i'm not sure if this is completely advisable, but my gut says if it doesn't hurt, low impact exercise like this is OK. I'm not expecting to drive any time soon (I imagine another 6 weeks or so). Further to this, I'm booked in with a focused PT group that I hope will get me back up to speed more quickly. Best of luck in your recovery.

• Posted

I have been at WB a week and a half ago. It has been painful and uncomfortable. The last few days, its been doing great. I don't know if it is suddenly better or that the aleve I took has been a miracle....I am shooting to reurn to work in 2 weeks. I am hoping I can as I am going broke....lol.

• Posted

I had a trimalleolar ankle fracture July 22 and surgery with plate and screws July 25. I am 61 year old female. I am full weight bearing without boot , in street shoes, as of last week. That would have been 11 weeks. So I think you can plan on walking soon. I am limping but happy to endure discomfort to rebuild my leg muscles. 

• Posted

I started driving this week. Just do short trips till you are comfortable.
    • Posted

That's awesome!  Refresh my memory, was it your Lt or Rt foot?

• Posted

Rhonda,

Crazy we both have a plate and 8 screws...  I hate to say it, but it is tough and very painful! I have started walking with my crutches and trying to put varying amounts of weight on it as I walk.  Usually around 20% but here and there more.  I have tried just taking Tylenol and it is not numbing the pain very well.  I slipped today with my crutches (it's raining) and put 100% of my weight on my bad foot and it hurt a lot. I am thinking of taking stronger pain meds until the pain is better.  I am icing it and doing my exercises.  The mobility is getting better.  I have a ways to go with the flexibility and I wonder if it will ever be where it was before the accident...  I know to be able to walk or jog well it needs more flexibility.  I will continue to work at thissmile  How is it going for you? If you have any tips please pass them on.  

• Posted

Hi Peggy, Thanks for your update.  As I suspect the WB is going to be challenging and painful.  

I'm still in a boot while up and moving on my knee scooter but once I sit it come off to do some ROM excersises.  The bottom of my foot is painful( feels bruised)  to touch and the top of my foot... roughly the 3rd metatarsal bone HURTS like heck.  I'm curious if I have an incidental fracture at that site.  I've called my Orthopedist and am having X-rays this Tues.  

I have 2 plates and 15 screws ,2 of which are lag screws.  I have limited rom at one of the lag screw sites which creates a consistent sharp pain when I am exercising it.  I can't seem to push through the pain and it is not improved x5 weeks of simple ROM exercises.  Perhaps it may be the positioning of that screw.  I must admit I am having concerns regarding functioning independently for the next bit.  Since 4 days post op I have been living alone and getting quite resourceful it's just my house work I'm having trouble keeping done.  That and of course delivery and transportation services are quite costly.  Just trying to keep my head on straight and remember one day at a time!  Happy resting everyone!  

• Posted

I broke my, tib, fib and talus as well as dislocated my ankle on Aug. 10. I have been on weight bearing as tolerated for two weeks now. I am completely walking now with no air cast or aids in any way. First week was sore and swelling. 2nd week I started taking Aleve which greatly reduced the swelling and helped with soreness when walking. I am now walking with no swelling and very slight discomfort. Another week or two maybe I will be back to normal again. The Aleve has been very helpful.
    • Posted

Hi Suzie,

Wow, I can't believe with all that damage that you are walking after such a short period of time, that's wonderful !!

I broke my fibula, dislocated my ankle and tore all the ligaments on July 13th.  After three surgeries (one of which was the removal of two screws), I am only just starting to put any significant weight on my foot.  I am supposed to be out of the boot in a couple of weeks but we'll see how that goes.

Well continued success in your recovery, good for you smile

Deb

• Posted

Wow Susie!  What great news you have! it seems you chose the excelerated path to healing! Are you one of the fortunate one that didn't require surgery or did you have an ORIF?  

• Posted

hi susie

I have broken my tib , fib, talus to im still non weight bearing I've got another 3 weeks left i was wondering if u could tell me how long it took u to get bk to normal as I'm really struggling as I feel like there is no end to this my mood is horrible and im so fed up and im hoping to go bk to work in 6 to 8 weeks am I jumping the gun with thinking this

thanks stevie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.