Transitioning to weight bearing

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi! I'll be @ 12 weeks next tues. I'm hoping my Tibia has healed enough to start weight bearing activities.  Can anyone share your experience transitioning to WB?  Also, it is my right leg so no driving thus far.  How long once I can bear weight till I can drive?  Going crazy here! 😓

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I can’t comment directly as my surgery was ver different from yours however I can 150% empathise with you regarding not being able to drive!!! 

This is my 2nd surgery on my ankle so while I am like you and desperate to get back behind the wheel, I do know that there is light at the end of the tunnel! I found once I was FWB without pain I was good to go. I was lucky in that I had teenage boys who were learning to drive and wanted to “take” me anywhere, problem was that I couldn’t drop me off!!! Second time around, the same son now has his license so I have my own personal chauffeur!!! 

Good luck, hang in there! Patience is key!

• Posted

Hi Jodi!  So good to hear you have had quite the enthusiasm to transport you.  Whatever, the motivation it had to be helpful and perhaps a tad bit frightful... haha!  Thanks for sharing !  
  • Posted

Hi Rhonda, I am in similar situation. I fell on the first day of my planned holiday in Europe and after an operation in Italy on right ankle and left also in plaster had to be sent home on a stretcher after two weeks. Have been in hospital for a further four weeks and going up the wall. I am hoping the casts come off on 18th and I can go to rehab. I had hoped to be walking and driving by 1 December. However, after reading some blogs I am not sure if I am being optimistic. 😰

• Posted

Hope your recovery is progressing. I was total non weight bearing & in a wheelchair 8 months on right leg.

First surgery to surgically clean out Staph infection & abscess in right hip capsule caused problems as three bacteria were introduced during procedure.

Second surgery opened hip for clean out; removed diseased hip joint & femur & an antibiotic concrete spacer was inserted. Waited 5 for months until all PICC line IV antibiotics cleared all infections.

Spacer removed and total hip replacement surgery 17 days ago.

Hip pain is gone but due to weakness, atrophy and weight bearing problems due to foot, ankle & knee I am told it may be months before I can walk with a cane.

Any hints on transitioning back to weight bearing? I have the best surgical team and awesome home nurses & PT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.