Trazodone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone tried trazodone as a sleeping aid. I was on Ambien doctor switched me to trazodone. 50 mg. Last night was first day using it. It made me dizzy. I feel like I have a hangover.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Clay,

Trazodone helped me sleep years ago when I was on a different AD. I take Ambien every night now due to chronic insomnia (due to the AD I took years ago). Doc wants me off Ambien, as it isn’t good for women my age at this dose. So... tried Trazodone for a few nights, didn’t sleep and felt drugged into the afternoon the next day.

I know this isn’t much help. I have read where Trazadone is a viable alternative to Ambien and it helps a lot of people. But it didn’t help me the last time I tried it. Not sure why.  Maybe I didn’t give it a chance, but I didn’t recall having to try longer the first time, it just worked for me.

• Posted

Hi Tracey thanks for replying. How many mg were you taking on the trazodone how long did you take it for. I was on Ambien for one month and a half on 10 mg. How many mg you take on the Ambien. It did help me sleep through the night. Had a hard time falling asleep last night w the trazodone. I don't know if it was the anxiety of it not working. And being used to the Ambien . But eventually fell asleep.

• Posted

Hi Clay,

I have no idea what the dosage of Trazadone was when I took it years ago, but I took it for about 4 years. My most recent try was at 50mg - but I couldn’t fall asleep. I currently take 10mg of Ambien nightly (and have for about 7 years). It helps me fall asleep, but I only sleep about 5 hours.  I’m trying to wean down to 5mg.

• Posted

How did you manage to get off the Trazodone Tracey? I have only been taking 50mg but when I stop end up in a terrible state.
    • Posted

I ended up in a terrible state. After taking Paxil and Trazadone for 4 years I simply stopped both. No one advised that I should wean off or how to stop. I went through all kinds of side effects. It eventfully settled, but I don’t recommend that method. It was difficult.

The remaining issue is insomnia, which is now chronic. I blame the Paxil though.

• Posted

Yeah mine is chronic too. Never had it before in my life, and now 3 months solid despite sleep meds urgh.
    • Posted

Wow I can't believe you just stopped on 200mg. I am so glad you are okay now x

• Posted

HI clay

Yeah I was on trazadone for 15 years and sleep was great for ME  

I knew that when I tuk this med when I went to bed, I would defo sleep, but I was on 300 mg so that mite be the reason, like any med untill your body adjust to it, you will get symptoms.. I would of never come of trazadone if it had just not stopped working for me, as since then, 18 month ago, I don’t sleep any more, so wish I could go back to it again...

But as we are all diffrent what works for one, may not for the next person, it’s a mater of finding some thing that suits YOU.. good luk 🤗x

• Posted

Oh Dawn how on earth do you manage without good sleep. You are one amazingly strong woman!
    • Posted

Hiya Dom... how’s things going with you?? As for sleep there’s not a lot I can do, doc gave me two weeks of sleep tablets and it worked great, but he won’t give me any more now 😔 so just have to carry on best I can... Iv just been told Iv got restless leg syndrome ( RLS)  and it won’t go now Iv got it, so that don’t help at nite, as I can’t keep still in bed, that aloan drives me mad, so just trying some meds for that, the task of life lol 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Dawn thanks for replying. It's good to know that trazodone worked for you. Sorry to hear that it stopped working after so many years. What do you take know to help you sleep.

• Posted

Hey Dawn I am on 40mg. Have been for 6 weeks, but feels like it stopped working and have felt panicky for first time in ages. Was ddoing okay until then. Do I need to up or switch do you think?

Aren't you tempted to switch AD? I heard you sleep like a baby on Mirtazapine but put on several stone.

I had a twitch leg when I started Prozac but it passed. Just love your positive spirit xxx

• Posted

I don’t take any thing for sleep now days, Iv tried herbal meds, but not that good...

I won’t change my meds now, Prozac is fine for me since I went up to 60mg that’s when it all settled down then.... think you’ve just got to see what suits you, I was on mirt b4 Prozac, and yes that does put weight on you, but for me, it was the nitemares that drug gave me, I tried it for 6 month so to see if it would settle down, but it just got worse, where I was waking up 4/5 times anite scared out of my head, with bad nitemares so I just had enough and came off mirt straight away and on to Prozac 🤗x

• Posted

Oh wow Dawn that sounds horrendous. I could take gaining weight but not that. This is your second time on Prozac isn't it? How exactly did 40mg feel? I had 4 weeks of feeling okay but then it went pear shaped these last three days. Do you think I should up? I have invested so much time in Prozac and don't really have a plan B x

• Posted

At the end of the day Dom it needs to be your chiose in whether to go up or not... if you went up, you can always come bk down if you don’t like it.. and like you said uv been on Prozac now for awhile to have to start again on a diffrent med can be hard for you..

Wen I was on 40mg it was ok, but I had up and down times, and I didn’t want any downs, just the ups, so once I went up to 60mg I felt good again, and can smile, the depression gone yeah 🤗x

• Posted

Hello Dawn, it is the anxiety that wont go away. It sucks x
    • Posted

Hiya Dom.. maybe it mite be worth you trying 60 mg Prozac see if this helps.. it’s our minds that play these games with us, if we didn’t think, then we wouldn’t have these prob, but we do, so it’s just getting it right, whether it’s with meds or self control, I choose the meds, and try and take my mind of things if I’m having a crap day, yep even on 60 mg we will have blips, not very often, but you still get them, as we are only human, and your mind is very powerful, I wish we could sale through life, without any problems, but it just won’t happen, we can only do our best, and do what’s best for our self.. 🤗x 

• Posted

I think I will probably try 60mg Dawn but the side effects do terrify me. Might it make the anxiety and insomnia go away? I've never really had either until the last 6 months. I'm definitely not sailing through life at the moment wink x

• Posted

No none of us are really.. if you don’t try, then you won’t ever know if higher will work for you..

The side effects were no where’s as bad going from 40 to 60 , as it’s in your body any way more.. but that was for ME remember we are not all the same 🤗x

• Posted

That is music to my ears Dawn! Did you have bad side effects going from 20 to 40? I kind of imagined that 40 to 60 would be easier but I needed to hear somebody say it. How long did 60 take to settle down? x
    • Posted

Don’t think 20mg was much good for me any way, so it didn’t bother me going up to 40, tuk a few weeks on 40  befor I was having more good days... so at 3 month doc moved me up to 60 and never looked back since, my doc even said I was looking well now days so it was worth it 🤗x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.